UDP port numbers and Analog_Reflector

Steve N4IRS

Edited

It has been a few days since the release and I want to cover some of the issues people have had getting Aanlog_Reflector installed and running.  Let's start with the usual DVSwitch diagram.

Client (DVSM or pyUC) <-----> Analog_Bridge <----> MMDVM_Bridge <----> (YSF, P25, DMR, ETC) Network

Pretty straight forward. DVSwitch uses UDP ports for components to communicate with each other. These port numbers must be unique. That is, not used anywhere else in the system. We have taken great pains to define the default port in the configuration file so that most things work out of the box. In DVSwitch Server we have the dvs menu. The menu tries to help someone setup the server with as few questions as possible. DVS takes over writing any changes to the configuration files. Now we will add Analog_Reflector. The purpose of Analog_Reflector is to add abilities and features to the Server. Analog_Reflector provides in it's simplest form, the ability to connect to the server from a web browser. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Let's look at the diagram with Analog_Reflector added.

 Client (DVSM, pyUC or hUC) <--> Analog_Reflector <---> Analog_Bridge <----> MMDVM_Bridge <-> (YSF, P25, DMR, ETC) Network

 Here, Analog_Reflector sits between the client(s) and Analog_Bridge. As I said above, Analog_Reflector adds the HTML client. To add the HTML client, Analog_Reflector needs to talk to Analog_Bridge. We felt that this was the place to add some of the other requested features. With Analog_Reflector, you can have more then one client connected at a time. It does not matter the client type, you can mix clients any way you wish. To make this happen we need to define more UDP ports. Here is a simple diagram of how those ports work with each other.

In the above port map, a user on DVSM or pyUC uses port 12345 to connect to Analog_Reflector. Analog_Reflector uses port 31001 to pass the traffic on to Analog_Bridge. The port numbers used here are the defaults for Analog_Reflector. All you would need to edit is Analog_Bridge.ini (or set it using the dvs menu) One quick rule of thumb, change as little as possible. Just running off and changing port number until you can make it work will lead to frustration. Don't bang you head against the wall for 3 days and finally post a request for help. Ask. There a quite a few people in the subgroups. Some have Analog_Reflector up and running. Most will help. Keep the questions simple and answer with complete (not wordy) responses. Mike and I watch the boards, we see the questions. We answer quite a few. We are paying attention to the "pain points"