OpenBridge Connection Status

Ed W8VT

What should I see console wise to indicate that OpenBridge has established a connection with Brandmeister?
This was setup on the Brandmeister end today and trying get it to work now. Does not seem to be connected as far as I can tell.

Ed W8VT

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Nothing, Openbridge is a connectionless protocol.

On Dec 29, 2018, at 9:42 PM, Ed W8VT <vacuumtubesforever@...> wrote:

What should I see console wise to indicate that OpenBridge has established a connection with Brandmeister?
This was setup on the Brandmeister end today and trying get it to work now. Does not seem to be connected as far as I can tell.

Ed W8VT

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

If you are logging to the screen using INFO then you should see the stuff coming from the talkgroup on slot 1.  I can’t get to my config right now, but I will send you what it should look like less the password that mark provided for you.

Corey n3fe

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM Ed W8VT <vacuumtubesforever@...> wrote:
What should I see console wise to indicate that OpenBridge has established a connection with Brandmeister?
This was setup on the Brandmeister end today and trying get it to work now. Does not seem to be connected as far as I can tell.

Ed W8VT

Ed W8VT

Looking for pointers on troubleshooting OpenBridge issue. Just not sure where to go from here.
Have been working with Mark N2NUO on getting connection setup with Brandmeister server 3108. He has made some changes and can get traffic to pass using my config file on his system. I can no OpenBridge traffic on my system.

The setup here is Debian 9 running on a Vultr VPS. Have disabled firewall to see if that is an issue, no change.
When I start hb_conference.py there are no error messages. I see message of traffic on my end being sent to OBP per the conference bridge rules.
I notice when looking at the BM server status page that other OpenBridges are listed, mine is not.

Silly thing has given me quite the headache! Any help greatly appreciated.

Ed W8VT

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

EMail me directly some login info and I will look at it.  I have access to the bm masters so I can look at both sides.

Corey n3fe

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 9:18 PM Ed W8VT <vacuumtubesforever@...> wrote:
Looking for pointers on troubleshooting OpenBridge issue. Just not sure where to go from here.
Have been working with Mark N2NUO on getting connection setup with Brandmeister server 3108. He has made some changes and can get traffic to pass using my config file on his system. I can no OpenBridge traffic on my system.

The setup here is Debian 9 running on a Vultr VPS. Have disabled firewall to see if that is an issue, no change.
When I start hb_conference.py there are no error messages. I see message of traffic on my end being sent to OBP per the conference bridge rules.
I notice when looking at the BM server status page that other OpenBridges are listed, mine is not.

Silly thing has given me quite the headache! Any help greatly appreciated.

Ed W8VT

Corey:
You helped me set up my OpenBridge connection to Brandmeister. I still am not seeing any traffic come through on my end. I have gone through and checked everything multiple times but still cannot get any traffic. Can you or anyone else on here help me out? I am at a loss at this point.

GB7NR Support

We have the exactly the same problem on IPSC2, again double and triple checked! Still to no avail, it’s like IPSC2 & BM just doesn’t like OBP on HBLink.

Shane
M0VUB

On 2 Feb 2021, at 21:28, Joseph Bay <call.sign.ke0tse@...> wrote:

Corey:
You helped me set up my OpenBridge connection to Brandmeister. I still am not seeing any traffic come through on my end. I have gone through and checked everything multiple times but still cannot get any traffic. Can you or anyone else on here help me out? I am at a loss at this point.

Corey Dean N3FE

Please open a support ticket in bm so more than just I can give you a hand as you did not give me any information to even start.

Corey n3fe

On Feb 2, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Joseph Bay <call.sign.ke0tse@...> wrote:

Corey:
You helped me set up my OpenBridge connection to Brandmeister. I still am not seeing any traffic come through on my end. I have gone through and checked everything multiple times but still cannot get any traffic. Can you or anyone else on here help me out? I am at a loss at this point.

Corey Dean N3FE

Different master, different people.  I have nothing to do with OB connections outside of the US.  Did you open up a ticket?

On Feb 2, 2021, at 6:05 PM, GB7NR Support <support@...> wrote:

We have the exactly the same problem on IPSC2, again double and triple checked! Still to no avail, it’s like IPSC2 & BM just doesn’t like OBP on HBLink.

Shane
M0VUB

On 2 Feb 2021, at 21:28, Joseph Bay <call.sign.ke0tse@...> wrote:

Corey:
You helped me set up my OpenBridge connection to Brandmeister. I still am not seeing any traffic come through on my end. I have gone through and checked everything multiple times but still cannot get any traffic. Can you or anyone else on here help me out? I am at a loss at this point.

GB7NR Support

I don’t think it’s a BM issue. I think this is a HB issue. Does anybody in the world have a successful OBP to BM or IPSC2?

Shane
M0VUB

On 2 Feb 2021, at 23:51, Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> wrote:

Different master, different people.  I have nothing to do with OB connections outside of the US.  Did you open up a ticket?

On Feb 2, 2021, at 6:05 PM, GB7NR Support <support@...> wrote:

We have the exactly the same problem on IPSC2, again double and triple checked! Still to no avail, it’s like IPSC2 & BM just doesn’t like OBP on HBLink.

Shane
M0VUB

On 2 Feb 2021, at 21:28, Joseph Bay <call.sign.ke0tse@...> wrote:

Corey:
You helped me set up my OpenBridge connection to Brandmeister. I still am not seeing any traffic come through on my end. I have gone through and checked everything multiple times but still cannot get any traffic. Can you or anyone else on here help me out? I am at a loss at this point.

Corey Dean N3FE

I have close to 35 setup and working between bm and hblink for many many people including myself.

On Feb 2, 2021, at 7:08 PM, GB7NR Support <support@...> wrote:

[...]

I am sorry if asking people to create a ticket offended anyone.  That was not the intention.  There are just more in the bm team that can help troubleshoot a bm-hblink OB connection.

There is information we need to know to troubleshoot so if you think that is asking to much I am not going to be able to help you.

Again, sorry for those I offended.

Corey. N3FE

On Feb 2, 2021, at 7:13 PM, Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> wrote:

[...]

Skyler Fennell

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> wrote:
I am sorry if asking people to create a ticket offended anyone.  That was not the intention.  There are just more in the bm team that can help troubleshoot a bm-hblink OB connection.

Ticketing systems in theory are great! The BM ticketing system does not work. I have posted tickets before, and they get ignored for months, no response and then they randomly close the ticket. I've always had to contact someone kind enough to directly enter the info like you! Thanks Corey for all the help for the community.

Randy AA6RH

I know Corey has replied on this, but I want to weigh in with the following:

Consider that this forum is a support forum for a software platform that allows you to connect between multiple network endpoints in a variety of ways, one of which is OpenBridge.

Also consider that BrandMeister has its own support service and ways to get help with connection problems. IPSC2 may be similar or different with respect to getting support for connection trouble.

If one or two people are unable to make OBP work for them, I am going to suggest that you take it up with the network you are trying to connect with, rather than immediately suggest or conclude that OBP is broken on HBLink.

If nobody can make OBP work on this software, then that is a completely different matter. But I don't think we are there.

Please be sure to direct your support requests where they are likely to be heard and responded to appropriately.

Thanks

--R

--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

GB7NR Support

Hi Corey, ok cool, so enlighten us amateurs! Will a standard HBLink connect or is there any additional code needed to make it happen? Maybe we are missing something here!

The problem I am having is connection to IPSC2, DMR+ but no one seems to be telling at the minute Corey, it’s all vague! I understand you have 35 bridges but that’s no good to us asking the question dude. I currently have 24 bridges across various networks with successful OpenBridges, but IPSC2! Ain’t happening! Even with the 20 digit password. So is there any extra stuff needed to get a successful Bridge?

Not sure about BM maybe you can tell us Corey.

Thanks in advance

Shane

On 3 Feb 2021, at 00:13, Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Randy, ok no problem. Thanks for the work you put in on keeping the project going!

Cheers
Shane Daley
M0VUB

On 3 Feb 2021, at 01:03, Randy AA6RH <aa6rh@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Halton

I have ipsc2 setup and working properly with OB without issues.

If you need help let me know.

On Feb 2, 2021, at 8:50 PM, GB7NR Support <support@...> wrote:

[...]

What do you want me to tell you?  Openbridge is an open protocol and it can connect to bm.  If both sides are configured correctly it should just work.  I know ipsc2 has limitations on what I can send.  Something about a partner mcc but I don’t own or have never touched an ipsc2 connection.  Once the ip/ fqdn, I’d, and passphase is setup it should just work.  It is actually much simpler than a peer connection.

On Feb 2, 2021, at 8:48 PM, GB7NR Support <support@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Corey, ok that’s cool, yes this is it, such a simple connection! But quite tricky with IPSC2. Ok dude, take care! Thanks for your advice.

Shane

On 3 Feb 2021, at 04:20, Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kevin. Ok my configuration is setup like this in HBLink

[OBP-PHOENIX]

MODE: OPENBRIDGE

ENABLED: True

IP:

PORT: 62035

NETWORK_ID: 2387

PASSPHRASE: password

TARGET_IP: 51.141.9.99

TARGET_PORT: 62035

USE_ACL: True

SUB_ACL: DENY:1

I know I’m connected because I receive packets from the IPSC2. Bit with lots of HMAC fails. I’ve manage to dig a few manuals out and realised it needs 20 character password, tried that and still HMAC fail.

Cheers Kevin

Shane