The Future of HBLink3 #hblink

Randy AA6RH

Hi everyone,

As you might have seen, it appears that Cort (N0MJS) has taken his GitHub repositories for HBlink3, HBLink, DMRLink, and DMRtools private.

This has broken a lot of docker builds and other tool chains, so if you have a fork of his work, you're invited to reply with your GitHub link here. At some point, I think one or more of the people on the list will (hopefully) step up to form an organization to host a repo for these tools that can serve as an online distribution of the tools for things like dockerfile builds, and having the software to modify and play with. I presume that contacting Cort on this list is a non-starter, as he's not likely to respond to help requests.

As a reminder to everyone, HBLink3 was never meant to be an out-of-box solution for DMR networking. It is a toolkit and a scaffold onto which capable programmers can craft novel applications that can interconnect DMR networks of all types and provide functionality that you can't find elsewhere for this DV mode.

Thanks to Cort for all his hard work over the years, all of the tiresome copy/paste responses to people who didn't bother to read the instructions, and his patience in putting this toolkit together for enterprising hams to leverage for the benefit of everyone.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

jacomms

It’s a shame this has happened, but if Cort is reading – Thank you for all you hard work you have put into this project.

‘73

Justin Albury

J Albury Communications

justin@...

0417246791

VK2JUZ

This email, and any attachments are for the use of the intended

recipient(s) and may contain confidential/privileged information.

immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient,

you must not copy, disclose or distribute its contents to any other

person. We do not accept any liability in connection with transmitting,

unauthorised access to, or viruses in this email and its attachments.

This notice should not be removed.

[...]

I would further amplify some of Cort's long-standing advice on HBLink, for those of you who are trying to link DMR things together:

PLEASE educate yourself on the networks you're trying to connect to. Oftentimes, these networks are not interested in having you do shady backchannel nonsense, linking things together just because you can.

PLEASE TALK to the network admins, whether that is BM USA, TGIF, DMR-MARC, DMR Plus, QuadNet, etc. before you decide to connect point A to point B. They might already have something in place to accommodate your desires, without having even well-meaning individuals causing network loops and other admin headaches that degrade DMR for ALL hams.

If they instruct you not to do something, consider listening to them. They have built this stuff up, they know all about the novel ways to interconnect things, they probably have heard of or experienced others trying to do what you are wanting, and are not going to sacrifice the network integrity just to suit your curiosity.

And before you call me out as some kind of gatekeeping elitist, I would let you know that I'm not on the best of terms with BM Admin myself. I say this for the benefit of all of the "big-N" Networks, who are doing this because they enjoy providing this service (much like Cort). They are volunteers. They don't get paid to manage this stuff, and they don't get paid to fix the problems that rogue interconnects cause.

Please, for us all, use HBLink responsibly.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Randy AA6RH

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, wherever you are.

I'll have another update later today, but I've been in contact with Cort off-list and am planning to set up a GitHub organization that will host the code going forward. I will be soliciting help from anyone in the community that is willing and able to assist with managing this (including issues, releases, and roadmaps) so that we can treat this more like a community-driven open source project and less like an individual project that placed the burden solely on one person's (i.e. Cort's) shoulders.

Thanks for your patience.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Josh Long

That is great news! Add me to the list to assist.
- Josh KG4YFA

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:38 AM Randy AA6RH <aa6rh@...> wrote:
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, wherever you are.

I'll have another update later today, but I've been in contact with Cort off-list and am planning to set up a GitHub organization that will host the code going forward. I will be soliciting help from anyone in the community that is willing and able to assist with managing this (including issues, releases, and roadmaps) so that we can treat this more like a community-driven open source project and less like an individual project that placed the burden solely on one person's (i.e. Cort's) shoulders.

Thanks for your patience.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Levi - YO5VLZ

That's awesome. If I can help with something please count me in (if I may say)

Doug - W4DBG

Add me to the list of people who will help.

Doug
W4DBG

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:38 AM Randy AA6RH <aa6rh@...> wrote:
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, wherever you are.

I'll have another update later today, but I've been in contact with Cort off-list and am planning to set up a GitHub organization that will host the code going forward. I will be soliciting help from anyone in the community that is willing and able to assist with managing this (including issues, releases, and roadmaps) so that we can treat this more like a community-driven open source project and less like an individual project that placed the burden solely on one person's (i.e. Cort's) shoulders.

Thanks for your patience.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

--
Doug Gooden
troytrojan@...

Paul on6dp

Hi guys,

If I can help, please count me in too

73 de Paul, ON6DP / OP0P

That's awesome. If I can help with something please count me in (if I may say)

Garanti sans virus. www.avg.com

EA5GVK Joaquin

That is great news! Add me to the list to assist.
- Joaquin EA5GVK

El vie., 16 oct. 2020 17:38, Randy AA6RH <aa6rh@...> escribió:
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, wherever you are.

I'll have another update later today, but I've been in contact with Cort off-list and am planning to set up a GitHub organization that will host the code going forward. I will be soliciting help from anyone in the community that is willing and able to assist with managing this (including issues, releases, and roadmaps) so that we can treat this more like a community-driven open source project and less like an individual project that placed the burden solely on one person's (i.e. Cort's) shoulders.

Thanks for your patience.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

N3MEL - Glenn

This is great news, I will assist where I can as well..

Be safe

Glenn R. Allison
N3MEL
DMR, TGIF TG #450
DMR2Wiresx TGIF TG #314239
Wires-x Room #62729
YSF Ref #59210

On Oct 16, 2020, 5:23 PM -0400, EA5GVK Joaquin <ea5gvk@...>, wrote:

[...]

Greetings all,

Well, it's "later today" (at least for me), and here I am.

I wanted to start by thanking those of you who have reached out, both on and off list, to voice your support in the project moving forward. Once we have everything lined up, we will be able to onboard some members.

More to the point, we need to set some expectations and "rules of engagement" (so to speak) so that we don't have mere chaos.

There are plenty of forks of the code base out there (Cort mentioned at least 47 when he turned his repo off), and I think I'm going to do the initial commit for this new repo based on his actual code. I'd like to try and get his commit history if that's at all possible (as it gives a lot of context to any future work, avoiding repeating past problems, regressing bugs, etc.), so I'll be casting around for full clones of his repo so that we might be able to accomplish that.

I will also be setting up the various GitHub repos (not just Hblink3, but also DMRlink/IPSC_Bridge and DMR_utils) with issue tracking, and we will have discussions in those threads (off of this list) to discuss technical details, merits, and have the inevitable arguments. We can do it democratically, but I'm likely to be the only person with commit privileges for the moment, until we hit a groove.

If you're interested in joining this development effort for real, you will need a GitHub account, and I would strongly encourage 2FA account access as well. If you don't know what those things are, you may want to do some soul-searching about your involvement. We do need to have people in this forum that can help start a FAQ for the project here on the Wiki. There's no shortage of opportunity to be hands-on with this stuff, as I've learned over the past several months of lurking here.

By way of background, I did software for a number of years (mostly in enterprise Java -- yes, you can now laugh) and then took a career turn toward media production, filmmaking, working for a non-profit art center running film programs, and then most recently I've been a high school teacher teaching digital media to teenagers who want to find a place for themselves in the working world someday. As you might guess, this has been a challenging school year to say the least, and it's only 25% done, at least for me. I still have more of the school year ahead of me than behind me, and I'm in the October Blahs part of the school year. Oh, and it's all done remotely over Zoom, so there's that as well.

I tell you this not for sympathy, but for context: I'm not retired. I'm not even a full-time software dev. I know Python reasonably well. I'm very good at systems analysis and debugging. I'm reasonably good at architecture and refactoring. But that was a career I mostly left behind ten years ago, so it's not quite as fresh as it was back then. But I still dabble, and I still know things.

I'm a blasphemous no-code Extra and proud of it.

With that out of the way, let's see who still wants to work on this. As it said above:

  • Get a GitHub account, if you don't already have one
  • Make sure you have SSH keys registered on the account

I would like to see some bona fides from you to indicate what you can contribute. However, it won't be particularly complicated, as I need help here pretty badly. If you're willing to write documentation, have hardware that can be set up to test configurations, and everything in-between, we can use the help.

Okay, that's going to do it for now. I'll start a new topic in the next day or so with repo information once it's in place.

Thanks in the meantime for your continued patience as I juggle this with high school classes. Thank goodness it's the weekend.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Simon

Hi

I have a heavily modified version of HBLink here https://github.com/hacknix/hblink3

It is still work in progress and is currently not documented, although we are now in active testing for our use and I expect a stable release later on this year. The code brings many of the things you would expect to find in a "master server" implementation.

Simon - G7RZU

On 15/10/2020 21:25, Randy AA6RH wrote:
[...]

Eric - KF7EEL

You can add me to the list if you would like.

I am not a professional programmer, but I do enjoy it and have been really diving into Python in the last year or so. You can see my radio projects on GitHub at https://github.com/kf7eel/ . They mostly have to do with APRS and DMR.

Currently, I am trying to figure out how to decode GPS coordinates from a DMR packet.  This is my 4th attempt at this.

Thanks,
Eric - KF7EEL

Levi - YO5VLZ

Edited

I'm a professional  programmer (not in Python), working mostly on systems integrations and web applications.

I'm not an expert/advanced in Python but I'm proficient enough to be confident that I can work on some of the programming tasks (I know Python) if there is a need for that (beside ham radio I like to play around with electronics and embedded systems programming as a hobby) .

I also can help with writing documentation and other development related stuff. I have a GitHub account with 2F auth set up (as you recommended).

Thanks,

Levi - YO5VLZ

lz5pn

It last working version: https://github.com/lz5pn/HBlink3

Enjoy till something is changed and made it do not working.

For now it work on Raspbian Buster and Linux Mint.

It is working copy that can be used to install HBlink3 Parrot and HBmonitor.

I write instructions how to install it.

Installation process do not include build software from sources.

Originally Installation process was, install dependencies needed to run the files for HBlink. Files that do not exist in operation system but they exist in repositories in operation systems. All the rest of HBlink are files working between themselves written by Cort (N0MJS) and using this additional files from piton repository.

Unfortunately my knowleage in programming in piton is too poor to get all picture.

After i copy my working folders in GitHub and follow instructions for installing that i use when i install my HBlink, replease original repository to my repository i was able to make it working.

So please try to repeat what i did and please let me know is it working for you.

If something is wrong and do not work please let me know.

Thank you.

73 de LZ5PN

On 15/10/2020 23:25, Randy AA6RH wrote:
[...]

Dan K2IE

I've got a local copy of the github tree up to commit 08f6669bd315f8abb9bd80b5faad4cd43439c2f4 on March 11, 2020.

If this is useful I can push on up to wherever it will live in the future.  Please let me know.

Dan K2IE

Now up at https://github.com/K2IE/hblink3.

JJ Cummings

I’ll ping you off list - happy to add to the dev efforts.

Sent from the iRoad