locked BrandMeister authentication in a Loop ?? #support #closed

Randy AA6RH

Corey,

Thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't fault the BM Admin team if they did, but I understand the whack-a-mole approach something like that represents.

We're trying our best on this end to get people connected to BM correctly. We're going to keep trying.

Thanks,

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Corey Dean N3FE

I can assure you we have NOTHING in the System that looks for “hblink” and denies the connection.   This is totally false.  Regardless, we have ask numerous times not to do it!!!

Corey

On Oct 25, 2020, at 7:23 PM, Simon via groups.io <simon@...> wrote:

I can however, answer the original question. It appears deliberate. BM Masters don't appear to allow login from anything that identifies as HBLink. There are two solutions, only one of which is "correct".

  1. use Openbridge
  2. Don't identify as HBLink

Simon

On 25/10/2020 23:19, Charly wrote:
Thanks for the answer dear Corey, I will open a ticket requesting the Openbridge connection data to BM, thanks.

Charly XE2SSN

Randy AA6RH

No problem Charly,

Thanks for checking on this and getting set up on OpenBridge. Let us know how it goes.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Charly

Thanks dear Randy, I´m asking because I want to make the things the right way, and of course still in a learning process and never my intentions are to use the great tool HBlink in the bad way and want to be a responsible user.

Randy AA6RH

Well, it's not like BM hasn't been saying this for a long, long time. I think everyone is better off when you follow the prescribed solution rather than go rogue and connect any which way, just because you feel like it's better.

It's BM's prerogative to protect their network. Some (maybe not most, maybe not even many, but definitely enough) users have misused HBLink to get it a reputation as a troublemaking tool, when it's really the person who puts the tool to use that should be responsible.

Development time that normally would go toward improving the software instead goes toward support tickets and talking with stakeholders about how HBLink users are making the job of volunteer DMR Network admins tougher rather than easier.

That's about all I'm going to say on the matter right now. I know this has been a sore subject for a long time.

--R
--
Randy Hall AA6RH (not K7AGE, quit asking) 😁

Simon

I can however, answer the original question. It appears deliberate. BM Masters don't appear to allow login from anything that identifies as HBLink. There are two solutions, only one of which is "correct".

  1. use Openbridge
  2. Don't identify as HBLink

Simon

On 25/10/2020 23:19, Charly wrote:
Thanks for the answer dear Corey, I will open a ticket requesting the Openbridge connection data to BM, thanks.

Charly XE2SSN

Charly

Thanks for the answer dear Corey, I will open a ticket requesting the Openbridge connection data to BM, thanks.

Charly XE2SSN

Charly

Thanks, I´ll do it that way, thanks for the answer.

Charly XE2SSN

Corey Dean N3FE

That is not an openbridge connection.  Openbridge is a stateless connection and does not login like a peer.  The connection has to be setup on each side and talkgroups must be sent to you, you do not receive them all like a peer connection.

Openbridge must be requested through the ticket system at https://support.BrandMeister.network

Corey n3fe

On Oct 25, 2020, at 3:22 PM, Charly <xe2ssn@...> wrote:

Hello dear friends, I installed the latest HBLink3 everything is working, Private Calls, Open Bridge too but I'm receiving a kind of loop authentication, this is part of the log:

INFO 2020-10-25 12:09:11,849 (BM) Repeater Login ACK Received with 32bit ID: **********
INFO 2020-10-25 12:09:11,926 (BM) Repeater Authentication Accepted
INFO 2020-10-25 12:09:11,926 (BM) Repeater Configuration Sent
INFO 2020-10-25 12:09:12,001 (BM) Repeater Configuration Accepted
INFO 2020-10-25 12:09:12,001 (BM) Sent options: (b'Type=HBlink;')

HBlink still connected and can make a bridge with BM Network even with this msg.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Charly

Randy AA6RH

Hi Charly,

I'm going to presume that, based on your subject line, you're trying to connect your HBLink instance to BrandMeister. Please check the following FAQ for information about that. In short: to connect to BM, you should only be using OpenBridge.

https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/HBlink/wiki/23870#What27s-the-best-way-to-connect-HBLink-to-BrandMeister3F

I am trying to get an answer about that specific option (which was added by Cort shortly before he left the project), so that I can better understand what's meant to happen with that option.

Cheers,

--R