Topics

sticky First draft of ASL <-> DMR how to document

Steve N4IRS

We have added the first howto for bridging AllStarLink to DMR. This is a work in progress so comments are welcome.

ASL to DMR Bridge how-to

Rf37797@...

I was really stumbling along trying to set up and bridge and wasn’t getting very far along...... UNTIL NOW!!!

The ASL to DMR Bridge how-to was great!

Since I have been stumbling around trying this and that, the following the procedure was a piece of cake. All the pieces of this configuration started to make sense and most of my questions were answered as I progressed the the how-to.

The only piece is couldn’t do was receiving the tone sent to my DMR radio. I couldn’t hear the “parrot function” either, but I can hear my TG on Hoseline as I key my DMR radio.

I’m sure I’ll figure out what’s up with that piece of the how-to

Great job gang!

Ron, K0AAJ
AllStar DMR_Bridge 45176
AllStar/IRLP/Echolink 42545
AllStar Virtual Server 45540
AllStar Nano AE 45202

 Jun 8, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

We have added the first howto for bridging AllStarLink to DMR. This is a work in progress so comments are welcome.

ASL to DMR Bridge how-to

Steve N4IRS

Ron,
Did you see the traffic flowing like in the examples?

Steve

On 6/8/2018 11:28 AM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

Ronald Foster <Rf37797@...>

Yes I did. That’s why I didn’t understand why I did not hear the tone or the Parrot.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Can you show me the Analog_Bridge and MMDVM_Bridge output when you are sending tone?

Steve

On 6/8/2018 11:31 AM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

Ronald E Foster <Merlinsmurd@...>

One question.... should the Rx channel = dahdi/pseudo be commented out since the USRP is being used?

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Ronald Foster <Rf37797@...> wrote:

[...]

In node [1999] it should be rxchannel = USRP/127.0.0.1:34001:32001

Since we added 1999, you should not have to modify your existing node stanza. Did I understand the question?

Steve

On 6/8/2018 11:34 AM, Ronald E Foster wrote:
[...]

I was referring to my node 45176. The Rx channel - dahdi/pseudo isn’t commented as is the USRP uncommented like it should be.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

I assume this is a hub so:
 [1999]
rxchannel = USRP/127.0.0.1:34001:32001

[45176]
Rx channel = dahdi/pseudo

Steve

On 6/8/2018 11:52 AM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

I afraid I don’t know how to send these log files to you.
 Can you Skype?

On Jun 8, 2018, at 10:52 AM, Ronald Foster <Rf37797@...> wrote:

[...]

Can you copy and paste from the ssh window?

On 6/8/2018 12:00 PM, Ronald E Foster wrote:
[...]

I hope this helps.
Also, I commented out the 45176 rxchannel = USRP and the Dahdi/Pseudo uncommented for 45176. The hub 1999 is set for USRP.
Please let me know if this isn't correct.

Thanks.

Ron

On Jun 08, 2018, at 11:01 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

That was perfect. We are looking at the log.

Steve

On 6/8/2018 12:30 PM, Ronald E Foster wrote:
[...]

When you do the single tone test from ASL to DMR, do you see the traffic in Analog_Bridge.log and MMDVM_Bridge log?

[...]

Steve, after lunch I just shut everything down and rebooted the Pi node 45176.

I was going to step through the entire procedure again in order to be sure I didn’t miss anything.

I decided to try to link my AllStar node 42545 to the DMR_Bridge hub 45176. I made a call through 42545’s repeater radio to and Boom.... there I was sounding great on my DMR radio. I’m not sure about the rx level I hear coming from the DMR radio to my Alinco DJ-500 ht. The level is less than desirable with a bit of background hum which is probably due to equipment around my setup.

I guess I’ve done what needed to be done, since it is working!

Thanks for all your help and patience!

73

Ron, K0AAJ

On Jun 8, 2018, at 12:52 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Sure,
Happy to help. Just so you guys know, just about every question you have asked today was checked against the how-to. If I missed something or something needed a better explanation, I edited accordingly. Think of it as your contribution. ;)

Steve

On 6/8/2018 3:14 PM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

It appears the bridge dropped the link on one side or the other. I tried to call out from the allstar side and heard nothing on the DMR side. I tried to establish the link again by call from the DMR side and the link came active again.

I've attached the log of the MMDVM and the Analog while this was going on. Maybe you can see the problem.

Ron

On Jun 08, 2018, at 02:19 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

From your MMDVM_Bridge log
E: 2018-06-08 19:22:23.814 DMR, Connection to the master has timed out, retrying connection
M: 2018-06-08 19:22:23.814 DMR, Closing DMR Network
M: 2018-06-08 19:22:23.814 DMR, Opening DMR Network
M: 2018-06-08 19:22:40.798 DMR, TX state = ON
I: 2018-06-08 19:22:40.798 DMR, Begin TX: src=3129046 rpt=312904605 dst=3129777 slot=2 cc=1 metadata=K0AAJ
M: 2018-06-08 19:22:42.822 DMR, TX state = OFF
E: 2018-06-08 19:23:33.831 DMR, Connection to the master has timed out, retrying connection
M: 2018-06-08 19:23:33.832 DMR, Closing DMR Network
M: 2018-06-08 19:23:33.832 DMR, Opening DMR Network
M: 2018-06-08 19:23:43.966 DMR, Logged into the master successfully
M: 2018-06-08 19:24:00.229 DMR, TX state = ON

So, it was loosing the connection, then reconnected. Did you define a static TG on your SelfCare page for ID

312904605 ?

On 6/8/2018 3:38 PM, Ronald E Foster wrote:
[...]

Yes. I setup 3129777, which should be safe for while, since 3129 not even close to that.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 2:48 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Ron,
From your MMDVM_Bridge log
[...]

Steve, N9VW

Hi Steve, et al...
May I make a suggestion for an addition to this document?
While installing I ran into dvswitch not being found. Fortunately I remembered reviewing the MMDVM_Bridge outline that had the following:

        • Installation

          • To install the repository (as root):

cd /tmp
wget http://dvswitch.org/install-dvswitch-repo
chmod +x install-dvswitch-repo
./install-dvswitch-repo
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install dvswitch quantar

That fixed the issue.
I also found that for running the AMBEtest4.py script that you need to: