Re: What if you could build a AllStar bridge without having to build a AllStar node?

On 9/5/22 6:43 am, Mark Simon via groups.io wrote:
Having  DMR to Allstar would be great.  TGIF (DMR) is really nice as
the group lets you easily get your own talk group for personal or club
use.
Not a lot of restrictions of hoops to jump.
There's good DMR networks out there.
It would be beneficial if the connection to a Radio from the hardware
was easier.  Audio in/out and PTT without squelch, like windows echo
link from a PC, would be a benefit.
This would avoid the dedicated radio (i.e. modified HT and USB Sound
Dongle).  Using a Signal-link, Rigblaster, Buckmaster type of
interface and a connection to MIC, SPKR and PTT.  Any of us that have
unused Echolink setup have this stuff laying around.
As Steve said, this is not the domain of IAX_Bridge, but I disagree, the
priority of RF linking shouldn't be "easy", but "good engineering"
instead.  A shoddy node can impact entire networks.  VOX is a horrible
interface for RoIP linking.  You need a more positive indication of the
presence of a signal (COS is OK, CTCSS is better).  Use the right tool
for the job.

A Web based UI is nice as I can manage the hardware easier from
outside the house using my phone.  VPN in and point the browser to the
IP address or do port forwarding.
hUC is definitely handy in that respect, and you can have multiple users
with different privileges.  I often forget it's there in my bridge
applications, then it ends up being the right tool for a particular
job.  And I'm glad I went down the LetsEncrypt road for the SSL certs.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com