Re: AllStarLink/ASL-Install

Steve KC1AWV

Actually Steve, your comments do help me understand better. I kept getting hung up on the process of installing it the package way, and JJ was trying to explain to me that just building from source would be the easiest fix in this situation. Having a set of packages does make it significantly easier to bring up ASL, and provides an intuitive interface for managing the system as asterisk is by no means user friendly at times. Building from source for Manuel is the better option, since he is putting together a major customized system.

I have the opportunity to download a copy of the image that Manuel is working on, and I hope to follow JJ's instructions in order to get ASL working properly. Maybe I can use this to set up a walkthrough of how to build and set up ASL on Raspbian from source, unless someone else has already done so.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Not much I can add. The last version I built used OSS. I put together some info on channel drivers that did not use OSS. Most of my work was spent moving ASl to a system that did not REQUIRE people to compile ASL. The images and the repository were intended for people to be able to do a simple apt get install or a apt-get upgrade when there were changes. DAHDI has always been a pain in the ass. I spent a lot of time trying to make it easy to upgrade. That is where DKMS came in.

I am no longer involved in ASL development. I know that the dev team for ASL is working to move the repo from DVSwitch to the ASL servers. I hope this happens sooon so that I can start restructure our repo.