Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

On Jan 2, 2019, at 3:42 PM, Jason Johnston <kc5hwb@...> wrote:

Just for the heck of it, I tried uninstalling python-dev, python-pip and python-twisted, then rebooted and installed everything again.  Upon running the "pip" commands below:
pip install bitstring
pip install bitarray

I get these errors:
root@josephus:~# pip install bitstring
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): bitstring in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages

Not an error, it only says that bitstring, current version, is already installed. uninstalling python-dev, python-pip and python-twisted will not uninstall bitstring.
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
This is not your OS telling you to upgrade pip. This is a shameful advertisement on pip’s part telling you to upgrade it.
root@josephus:~# pip install bitarray
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): bitarray in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
Same as the above module.
If I am going to reinstall the OS, which I have no problem with, then what is to prevent this error next time?  What am I missing here?
I'm gonna really come off like an ass, so get ready to get mad at me. For real - you’re about to get mad.

I can’t really answer your questions. I don’t feel like I’m competent to support your OS distribution or python. The problems you’ve been having aren’t with my software itself. They’ve all been with OS stuff and the python install. These issues would be better handled on a python forum. I use python as a tool – I don’t pretend to be an expert on it’s internals, or the installation of 3rd party modules. Now the only thing I’ll say to redeem my asshole-ishness here is that the README.md with hblink is very clear – it expects the user to have familiarity with unix/linux and python. And exactly what I meant by that is that anyone wanting to use HBlink, as it stands, is going to need to be able to handle basic level unix system configuration/administration and be familiar with python – which includes things like using pip, reading a python module “requirements.txt” file, etc.

There, I said it. I don’t feel good about me right now either…. but there it is. If there’s anyone on the list that feels like they have a really good handle on fixing broken python installs, would you please contact Jason off-list and try to help him with this?

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501