If you use HBlink OR dmr_utils, you need to read this

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Folks,

PYTHON2 BASED VERSIONS OF HBLINK AND DMR_UTILS ARE NOW SUNSET – ONLY BUG FIXES WILL BE OFFERED.

If you go looking at my repos on GitHub, you’ll see a couple of new things:

HBlink3 and dmr_utils3

These are Python3 versions of HBlink and dmr_utils. Currently, dmr_utils3 does not include ambe_bridge.py and HBlink3 does not include parrot or bridge_all – effectively leaving it as the base stack and the conference bridge application… there have also been some things renamed. I removed “hb_” from the beginning of all of the files, and I also renamed hb_confbridge.py to bridge.py. Likewise I renamed hb_confbridge_rules.py to rules.py. The main goal with the name changes is to make the first character or few unique. I’m a shitty typist to begin with, so being able to type b(tab) and get bridge.py is a lot easier than having to type out hb_confbridge.py all of the time… and I have to type those things a lot when I’m in full-on coding mode :)

As for the future of the other HBlink programs – some of that is going to be dependent on community support. I would love to see someone step up and port all_bridge.py and parrot.py to Python3. I will eventually get to them, but not soon because….

The master branch of HBlink3 is stable and has been running on the K0USY Group’s “KS-DMR” network all week. On our particular system, with the things we have configured, just moving to Python3 (ok, a few bits of refactoring as well) has given us a 15-20% performance boost (measured in time between packet ingress and processing completion). You will also notice another branch of HBlink3 called uvloop. With this branch I’m swapping out the venerable Twisted module for Python3’s built-in Asyncio module, and a “drop in replacement” for portions of it called uvLoop, an ultra-fast drop-in replacement for parts of Asyncio… just moving to Python3 gave us a nice bump. My hope is that the move to uvloop makes HBlink work much faster – potentially rivaling statically compiled to machine-code software.

I’ve already moved off of the master branch to work on the uvloop branch. This development will be rapid – because the goal is to have hblink.py and bridge.py working on uvloop ASAP. Once that is completed, I will go back and start filling in the gaps as well as adding features. I do not intend to back-port new features to the Python2 versions.

The HBlink3 master branch will support the existing python2 hbmonitor software. The uvloop branch will not. I intend to “burn down” the reporting “stuff” and start over with HBlink3 on uvloop. I am looking for javascript (and related browser code) developers to help with this. Hbmonitor is a bandwidth HOG. It renders the entirety of the HTML tables on the server for every incremental change, and pushes all of that HTML out to the browser. A busy system on HBmonitor can use close to 1Mbps of bandwidth for a single browser connected. The goal is to send much less information to the browser, and let the browser build the tables… but I don’t have a clue about programming that stuff. Co-developers welcome!!!

0x49 DE N0MJS

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206