Re: Asterisk Error

Steve KC1AWV

SFTP is an FTP protocol that uses encryption over the wire. So, yes you'll need to have an FTP server running to use FTP. However, WinSCP also can use SCP which only needs an ssh server running, which it sounds like you already do, in order to log into the Pi. Instead of using SFTP, log into the Pi with WinSCP, make sure the protocol is set to SCP, and use the standard SSH port, 22. Then, you should be able to browse the remote machine and drag 'n drop the files over to your local computer.

The other option is to just do a direct copy/paste from a terminal like putty, just cat the file to the terminal and copy/paste to notepad or the like. That's how I usually do a quick copy of a log or a conf file.

root@allstar:/home/smiller# cat /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf

will print the rpt configuration file out to the terminal, and I just copy/paste it to notepad. If the file has a lot of lines in it, you may exceed the terminal buffer and cut off a chunk of the file, so copying it using SCP may be easier at that point.

Screenshot of the WinSCP login window attached.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 8:23 AM K4VL <73dek4vl@...> wrote:
Yes it is a Raspberry Pi. I ran that and it returned this.
fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sd**
Possibly non-existent device?

I think I will go out today and buy a new SDCard. It won't take log to reconfigure it. I have all the necessary files backed up. Thanks to your help in the past I can get it up and going pretty quick. Now that I have said that I will be on here after work asking more questions.
I am wondering if any of you know how I can make WinSCP allow me to write to my files. I found a command sudo su -c /bin/sftp-server I put in the SFTP Protocols and it worked for a while but now tells me Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running an SFTP server? when I try to use it.

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 7:01 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
Is this a Raspberry Pi? Maybe the SD card is going bad, corrupting the filesystem and forcing it to be read-only. You can force a fsck by running

fsck.ext4 -cDfty -C 0 /dev/sd**

You can also run dmesg which may give a clue into why the filesystem is read only.

It sounds like asterisk won't start because it can't write its log file, which may be the underlying issue here.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 7:49 AM K4VL <73dek4vl@...> wrote:
OK this might help. It say it can't write the log files because it is a read only system. After a Google search I found how to remount. I still get the error when I status asterisk. I reran
journalctl -u asterisk.service --since today and got the log I have attached. When I try running asterisk -vcd I get an error stating again that the log file can't be written because it is a read only system.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 4:34 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
I would at least run asterisk in the foreground with:
asterisk -vcd

On 3/27/19 5:33 AM, Steve KC1AWV wrote:
If the logs are empty, then it's going to be next to impossible to diagnose the problem. Log files are the single most important thing on a computer, and without them, you're flying blind.

At this point, I'd say back up the configuration files and put them somewhere for reference and start over.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019, 10:25 PM K4VL <73dek4vl@...> wrote:
The logs appear empty. I event went into the asterisk log folder and opened the event log and it was blank.

Steve Miller
KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller