Installing DVSwitch programs apt-get install vs github

Steve N4IRS

I have been told there is some confusion about where to install some of the DVSwitch programs from. Since there are the apt packages and github, which to choose?
Always install from the apt repository. The apt repository not only installs the program, it installs and required OS programs. It creates the directory structure of logging and data. It sets up systemd so the program starts at boot.

Github is used to provide a place for us to upload a new version of the executable BEFORE I make a new package. If there is a bug fix we are testing, it will go on github first. If you want to try the new executable, backup your existing executable and replace it from github. If it does not work, restore the old executable. Not really rocket science.