Re: Installing DVSwitch programs apt-get install vs github

Steve N4IRS

Frank,
This will install the repo to your Debian based system:

To install the repository:
As root
cd /tmp

wget http://dvswitch.org/install-dvswitch-repo
chmod +x install-dvswitch-repo
./install-dvswitch-repo
 apt-get update

The repository is visible at <http://dvswitch.org/ASL_Repository/>

Since I still host the ASL repo the directory structure is shared.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 6/10/2019 1:32 PM, Frank Decuire via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
Where can if find the location for the DVSwitch app repository? I’m still new to the DVSwitch program would like to make sure the apps l install are coming from the right resources.

Thanks

Frank K6FED

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, June 10, 2019, 7:56 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

I have been told there is some confusion about where to install some of the DVSwitch programs from. Since there are the apt packages and github, which to choose?
Always install from the apt repository. The apt repository not only installs the program, it installs and required OS programs. It creates the directory structure of logging and data. It sets up systemd so the program starts at boot.

Github is used to provide a place for us to upload a new version of the executable BEFORE I make a new package. If there is a bug fix we are testing, it will go on github first. If you want to try the new executable, backup your existing executable and replace it from github. If it does not work, restore the old executable. Not really rocket science.