Re: Just Moved server from Digital Ocean and now server won't run

Steve KC1AWV

As a suggestion, the only files you will need are the configuration files for the programs. Basically, just copy over the .ini files (and just the .ini files) from your old instance to another computer. Install a fresh copy of Linux on your new instance and install the programs using the directions in the Wiki. Then, copy the .ini files from your backup to the new install.

Moving executables from one system to another may not always work. Differences in system architecture, file system layout, or even hardware can cause significant issues. If you're moving your install from one system to another, the only files you will need to keep tabs on are the configuration files. Install everything new, then change or overwrite the configurations from backup. Make sure the file paths in your old configuration are available in the new install. I saw you getting hung up on the log file location for YSFReflector earlier. You were trying to create a folder that didn't exist, but then looking at your configuration file, it was trying to write the logs to a completely different location. It's almost like you were following two different sets of instructions (such as reading the directions on G4KLX's github to install YSFReflector, while using a configuration file from another location) which doesn't help the situation at all. Find one set of instructions and stick with it! :)

Steve KC1AWV

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:41 AM N9UMJ <n9umj2@...> wrote:
Thanks Steve and Mike
I'm going to wipe out Dv_Switch and all of the files completely from the new PS and try again

I've made the directories and they exist in the files,on the new VPS running is the issue??  all of the DV_Switch files and YSFReflector files are working on DO.

Something has been lost of corrupted when brought over from Digital Ocean

It's unfortunate that the snapshot image from DO cannot be moved outside of DO .

I may look at at creating a stand alone on a pi and putting it at the fiber hub for now and start building a standalone instance for the fiber hub and not use the vps. I have 4 multi channel trans coders sitting on the bench as a fall project, Time restraints in the summer is the problem.

The urgency is moving oit away from DO and having it running as it was before the DO fiasco , until the long term changes can be made

Since I'm starting over again is there a better iso option that Ubuntu 18.04

Thanks to both of you , I'll give the move another try any tips would be appreciated.

Rick n9umj

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 7:39 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
It looks to me that you're having procedural problems, and not issues with the programs themselves. You've got folders missing apparently. Here's the important part of what you've sent over:

chown: cannot access '/var/log/YSFReflector': No such file or directory

Make sure the directory exists first before changing owner. mkdir -p /var/log/YSFReflector

Also, it looks like you're already logged in as root, so no need to use sudo on those commands.

While I'm sure nobody here really minds providing help where it's needed, we're getting into support of an operating system, and programs that are not specifically part of DVSwitch. Remember, the support for the DVSwitch programs that this group is intended for are the ones that are maintained in the DVSwitch github repo. All other support is a courtesy.

Steve KC1AWV

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:48 AM N9UMJ <n9umj2@...> wrote:
Mike

I tried to reload the YSFReflecor and can't get it to reinstall over whats already there.

Analog_Bridge  NXDNClients  P25Clients  Quantar_Bridge  YSFParrot
DMRGateway     NXDNGateway  P25Gateway  YSFClients      md380-emu
MMDVM_Bridge   NXDNParrot   P25Parrot   YSFGateway      opt
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt# sudo chown mmdvm /var/log/YSFReflector
chown: cannot access '/var/log/YSFReflector': No such file or directory
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt# cd YSFClients
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients# ls
LICENCE    YSFClients      YSFGateway  YSFReflector
README.md  YSFClients.sln  YSFParrot
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients# cd YSFReflector
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo nano YSFreflector.ini
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# udo nano YSFReflector.ini

root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo nano YSFReflector.ini
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo useradd mmdvm -g mmdvm -s /                                                                             sbin/nologin
useradd: user 'mmdvm' already exists
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo chown mmdvm /var/log/YSFRef                                                                             lector
chown: cannot access '/var/log/YSFReflector': No such file or directory
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector#

What Think??

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:52 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/uname.1.html

On 6/17/2019 10:28 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
Mike

I recovered uname -r with sudo apt-get --reinstall install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Now it shows 4.15.0-15 generic for uname-r

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019, 9:04 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

Not sure if there is anything specific to Ubuntu but Just a thought... Your packaging might be missing something needed. Someone else may be able to chime in on that.

What does it say when you type   '  uname -r   ' from cmd line ?

Not familiar with Dig Oc but

Did you use one of their stock images ?  or - Can/did you load your own iso ?

On 6/16/2019 7:40 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
Hi Mike

Ubuntu 18.04

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

What OS and kernel version ?

On 6/16/2019 12:03 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

--
Steve Miller