Re: Trying to set up Parrot

Jesse Neu

There is very little in the way of documentation on setting up parrot and it took me two weeks to figure out you have to run separate config files. I finally got it working on my master server and I thought I would share a short how to on getting it up and running.

Enjoy

Parrot Example

Parrot or Echo Test functions as a separate Master server. To set up Parrot on the same server as your current master you will need to either copy the HBlink directory to run a second instance or point hb_parrot.py to a secondary configuration file.

Configuring hblink.cfg

In your Configuration file called by hb_parrot.py you will need the following master configured

[Parrot-1]    #Can be anything you want, Naming in this file isn't important
MODE: MASTER
ENABLED: True
REPEAT: True
MAX_PEERS: 10
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54000    #Remember this port number, you'll need it later
PASSPHRASE: s3cr37w0rd    #You'll need this too
GROUP_HANGTIME: 5
USE_ACL: True
REG_ACL: DENY:1
SUB_ACL: DENY:1
TGID_TS1_ACL: PERMIT:ALL
TGID_TS2_ACL: PERMIT:ALL

In your primary configuration called by hb_confbridge.py you will need to have the following PEER configured

[Parrot-1]     #Can be anything you want, You'll need this later
MODE: PEER
ENABLED: True
LOOSE: False
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54001
MASTER_IP: 127.0.0.1    #loopback is fine if you are running both master and parrot on the same server
MASTER_PORT: 54000     #Same port as before
PASSPHRASE: s3cr37w0rd      #Must match password for our Parrot-1 Master above 
CALLSIGN: W1ABC        #Your callsign
RADIO_ID: 312000    #Your RadioID
RX_FREQ: 449000000   
TX_FREQ: 444000000
TX_POWER: 25
COLORCODE: 1
SLOTS: 1
LATITUDE: 38.0000
LONGITUDE: -095.0000
HEIGHT: 75
DESCRIPTION: This is a cool repeater
URL: www.w1abc.org
SOFTWARE_ID: 20170620
PACKAGE_ID: MMDVM_HBlink
GROUP_HANGTIME: 5
OPTIONS:
USE_ACL: True
SUB_ACL: DENY:1
TGID_TS1_ACL: PERMIT:ALL
TGID_TS2_ACL: PERMIT:ALL

Now we need to conference them together. For simplicity I will only include the relevant block. Make sure the 'SYSTEM' matches both Master and Peer exactly, put them both in the same time slot and talk group.

'ECHOTEST': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'MASTER-1',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 9998,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [8,10], 'RESET': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'PARROT-1',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 9998,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [8,10], 'RESET': []},
        ],

Start hb_confbridge.py and parrot.py with their respective config files and everything should work!

Join main@DVSwitch.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.