Re: bridging ASL, DMR and DSTAR

Steve KC1AWV

>  However, it occurs to me as an audio guy that just connecting ASL directly to DMR with the current bridge as it is wouldn't be the best sounding option, as calls to and from DSTAR would be transcoded through DMR before it gets to ASL.

Well, you're going to have to get the analog audio vocoded to DMR or D-Star anyway. Going from ASL to DMR is easier as there exists vocoding software to do so. ASL to D-Star (if you're worried about audio quality) will require another hardware vocoder, so you're going to need another AMBE stick.

To keep things simple, I would choose this path: ASL <-> AB <-> MB <-> BM <-> XLX. You're already using the existing XLX server to do the transcoding into a common format; in this case it's DMR being sent off to Brandmeister. Then, it's an easy hop from DMR to Analog. I have not experienced any significant audio quality issues going from D-Star to DMR to Analog.

>  I would think that using ASL as a hub would mitigate this problem, but perhaps cause new ones, such as no data for call signs between DMR and DSTAR.

If you want to use ASL as a hub, then you will probably want to drop the BM to XLX link and let ASL do the heavy lifting. You'd be looking at this: XLX <-> MB <-> AB <-> ASL <-> AB <-> MB <-> BM. As you can see, it's a bit more involved as far as setup goes, but it can be done. Also, AB handles the metadata for callsigns, so no worries there - though all calls passing through ASL from one side to the other will always look like they're coming from whatever callsign is being used in Analog_Bridge. This is because as far as I know, app_rpt does not know about the metadata being passed through it. Not sure if I'm correct on that point, so don't take my word for it.

Steve KC1AWV