Re: Towards open-source infrastructure for DMR repost from OpenDV

Andrew Palumbo

Hello,
Would there be any interest in joining an open source organization, e.g. Apache Software Foundation, as a project?

With this would come infrastructure:GitHub, JIRA. Jenkins, TravisCI and other GitHub CI/CD integrations, Slack, Infrastructure support, hosting of signed distributions of signed artifacts, along with possible collaboration and interest from other projects, legal support, marketing, conferences, and a very permissive ASF 2.0 License.  The ASF 2.0 License is about as permissive as they come, allowing for public branching and royalty free use of project artifacts.

I've spent a lot of time working with the ASF mainly on a single project, in many positions, and have found their project structure to very conclusive to OSS development; the ASF essentially provides a blank canvas with some very hands off guidelines [1], for OSS projects, freeing up time and resources to focus on project development, with support for much of the overhead that goes along with developing enterprise level products.

It seems a good fit IMO.

Andy
KN6HDF

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Default+Project+Guidelines

Disclaimer:
I am an ASF member, though not a salesman for the foundation;  This is the first time I've ever proposed something like this to a project or group,  The opinions are my own, and do not reflect the position of the foundation, my employer, or anyone else.