installing on other ARM platforms other than raspberry #best_practices

fabiobassa

Hello everyone, I am an Italian HAM iz8xoh and is since few time that I'm experimenting on this fronteer of interconnecting different nodes on different technologies.

Have realized that for everybody ' s easy use most things are "raspberry concentric" since of course this is the easisest approach , and reproducibility is quite assured. But together with some talented people we achieved the goal to port linux ( armbian in particular) even on cheap platforms such as tvboxes.

Some of those boards are armhf with up to 2 giga ram/16giga rom , some others are aarch64 up to 4gb ram,  so even much more powerfull.

Actually compiled mmdvmhost and mmdvmcal on rockchip rk322x platform and planning to check on old amlogic 805 .

mmdvmhost and mmdvmcal  both are fully functional on rockchip armhf  and registered on Italy BM server. But my goal would be port on those cheap boards even all the suite such as mmdvm_bridge and also md380_emulator and ASL until the board can support it or split across diffferent boards and join them in lan network.

Regarding  about md380_emu  I have learned  that some instruction are " kernel" sensitive and platform tested are some allwinner ( h2 h3) .So now come questions:

1) why are very platform dependant ? Is some feautures needed to be implemented in make config of kernel or are HARDWARE related ( hw acceleration, real time kernel ) ?

2) any info about building from scratch is higly appreciated, maybe step by step to check functionality. E.G. for beginning would be great have the mmdvm hotspot hat ( single antenna-single slot chinese clone ) running with  his mmdvmhost and trying to decode the audio pipeing to a usb soundcard .Then step by step adding modules for ad hoc network or bm connected in a soft learning curve .

Once the system have a great releabilty of course will be made a disclosure of these results giving credits to all owners of respective githubs projects !

Thank you in advance, 73' s iz8xoh