Re: Current Best-Practices for Linking with Brandmeister

Patrick Perdue

A couple of things:

In my experience, requesting an XLX interlink to your reflector from a Brandmeister master server works pretty well. They would prefer you do it that way or use OpenBridge. In my setup, using XLX interlink on 3101, it's reasonably stable, especially after the recent hotspot security requirement. Given this, you can probably do everything you want without using HBlink3 or any of the tools from DVSwitch at all, allowing XLXD to manage the connection to BM, as well as transcoding to DSTAR and YSF.

With ambed, you need two vocoders for every module on the reflector you wish to transcode, meaning you will always need a minimum of two. No transcoding required for DMR to YSF, but any of those modes to or from DSTAR will use both vocoder chips -- one to decode and one to encode. Only having one vocoder on XLXD would be pointless even if it did initialize that way. This isn't a DVSwitch related issue.

On 12/17/2020 8:12 PM, J M wrote:

What are the current best practices for setting up a link with Brandmeister to do a three-way transcode between DMR, YSF, and D-STAR? We’ve been running XLX330/311070/#83603 for awhile know using xlxd to support D-STAR and DMR and YSFReflector for YSF and linking the two with MMDVMBridge. Currently we’re using ambed for the transcoder with a 3-chip DVstick33. We’ve been seeing a lot of instability with the BM link/transcoding which also messes up the YSF connection. Getting tired of having to play “restart the services to find which one failed”.

  1. What is the current best way to link to BrandMeister?

  1. Is there a better way to utilize the AMBE DVStick33 dongle than ambed? Ambed “Wastes” one of the chips in the dongle because it can only initialize them in pairs.

We’re open to redoing all the pieces, but I’m not finding a clear picture particularly on how to integrate with BM DMR.

Thanks.

N8EI