Re: Reliable Transcoding with Brandmeister DMR - Who and How?

Charles Wiant

Is your ambed not ambe is on the same machine and if not do you have all ports open and if not on same machine do you have ip pointing to reflector.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 5:45 PM, J M <jason@...> wrote:

I'm back again and still looking for someone who can share some best practices for reliable transcoding with BrandMeister DMR. I realize this is not an XLX/Ambed support forum, but I think this description of the problem will help explain my struggle so please indulge me. I"ve searched in the messages, Wiki, and the Google machine in vain for a solution to my problem.

I run XLX330/YSF #83603 which is also transcoded to BM TG 311070. I have a consistent repeatable problem with BrandMeister DMR completely locking up xlxd/ambed when there is any sort of not-trivial communication stream (e.g. a net with a number of DMR users). A set of D-STAR and YSF users can talk forever without a hiccup. During a multi-mode net without fail, right in the middle of a DMR transmission coming into xlxd from BrandMeister, xlxd will start throwing errors like:

Feb 22 20:18:23 localhost xlxd: Opening stream on module A for client BM3103   with sid 34594
Feb 22 20:18:31 localhost xlxd: Closing stream of module A
Feb 22 20:18:31 localhost xlxd: ambed 1452 of 306 packets timed out
Feb 22 20:18:31 localhost ambed[5539]: Vocodec channel DVstick-33:1 -> DVstick-33:0 closed
Feb 22 20:18:31 localhost ambed[5539]: 0 of 306 packets lost
Feb 22 20:18:31 localhost ambed[5539]: Stream 18 closed
It is ALWAYS on a DMR connection this begins. After that, every subsequent transmission regardless of mode is broken. Every repeater that didn't have the originating RF traffic shows only a 0.1s transmission with no audio and the logging is always the "X of Y packets timed out" error. The only resolution is to restart both ambed and xlxd. The problem has never started with a YSF or D-STAR transmission, always and only DMR. I've tried putting MMDVM_Bridge/DVSwitch in the middle a few time, trying first to "unload" processing of YSF to a YSFReflector joined through MMDVM_Bridge. Then I tried using MMDVM_Bridge to interface with a DMRGateway process. Whatever the issue is, the root cause appears to be BM DMR traffic being processed with xlxd/ambed. So I'm trying to find another, reliable way.

When I was using xlx + MMDVM_Bridge + DMRGateway the lockup didn't occur but that was because there was a different problem. At the tail end of any RF transmission into a DMR repeater, the DMR repeater would then "hear" an echo from DMR network of the same transmission and then lock open with a "Net" transmission (Pi-Star) which would hang the repeater open until some 60-second timer seemed to trip. I tried fiddling with the hangTimerInFrames inside of DVSwitch.ini but that did not seem to make any difference.

So, if you read this far, I REALLY appreciate your reading to the end and would appreciate info from anyone who's linking with BrandMeister. I'm open to making any needed change to the environment to get it all working and stable. Only need is continue to use xlxd for D-STAR.

Thanks!
Jason N8EI