Re: P25 Integration via AllStar Link

Steve N4IRS

You will not need a DIU at all. The analog to P25 conversion will be done with a piece of software called P25_Bridge on the right side of the diagram. The Cisco is a 1841 router just like P25NX uses. We hope to replace it with a custom board that handles the HDLC data, but for now it works with the Cisco. We are very early in the Quantar to MMDVM connection and have at least one major bug to squash. The bug is in the Metadata from the MMDVM Nettwork to the Quantar.

Steve

On 3/20/2018 1:14 PM, William Freeman wrote:
Steve

It sounds about right.

I’m basically trying to maintain a P25 network of repeaters that are linked to a few FM repeaters and simplex nodes. Mostly just to say that I can do it (I like tinkering with radio stuff).

Would I need to purchase a DIU for each repeater or just the cisco board that you mentioned?

William Freeman

On Mar 20, 2018, at 10:08 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Bill,
If I understand, you would like to connect a P25 Quantar in P25 mode to a AllStarLink network. That is quite possible though it takes a few things. We can connect a AllStarLink network to the MMDVM P25 Reflector system. We can also connect a Quantar to the MMDVM P25 Reflector system. As of today, the code is early but all the pieces work. For the Quantar, TODAY we still require the same V.24 board and Cisco router that P25NX uses. To be clear, no The P25NX network is not involved. We just use the same hardware. The MMDVM P25 Reflector is open source, so that is not a problem. It would look something like this:

Quantar <---> Cisco <---> RPi <---> MMDVM Reflector <---> RPi <---> AllStarLink

This is a very simplistic layout. On the Quantar side, multiple repeaters could connect to the reflector. On the AllStarLink side, the node could be connected to a AllStarLink HUB.
The computers in the diagram are RaspberryPi. The can be any type of Linux machine you like. The MMDVM Reflector and the AllStarLink node could be on a single computer. This starts depending on how you want to build it.

Could we drop the MMDVM Reflector? Yes. Each Quantar could have all the hardware and software to connect to the AllStarLink network.

As I said the code is early. We are working to release the software parts to make this happen. I do not have a time frame at this time.If this is something you would like to move forward with, we can go deeper.

Some of this depends on how you want to lay it out.