Date   

Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

That's fine with me, I will start over.

Where, in the install steps that you list, should the dependencies and dmr_utils be installed?


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>
 

It’s all python. Outside of shell scripts, the variation of Linux won’t matter. I wrote it all on MacOS and run it in production on Debian, raspbian and Ubuntu.

Nothing should be limiting in any way on any Unix-like os.


On Jan 2, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

I can't tell you what OS flavor to use. I just don't trust your python environment.  All I can tell you is I run Mint on my desktop and pure Debian on my servers. YMMV


On 1/2/2019 3:49 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
This is a fresh start from the software itself, but not the OS.  Is that what you are referring to?

I am running this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  Is there any reason this wouldn't work?  In reading online forums, facebook groups, etc - and talking with several people who are using their own DMRlink/HBlink server, I get mixed opinions about whether Ubuntu will work or not.  It is a Debian based OS, but different enough that some say it won't work, even though it works on Raspian, which is much more watered-down than what I am running.

If I am going to start fresh all over again, what OS do you recommend I start with?  It can be anything, I don't care, I just want to know what works best.


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

I can't tell you what OS flavor to use. I just don't trust your python environment.  All I can tell you is I run Mint on my desktop and pure Debian on my servers. YMMV


On 1/2/2019 3:49 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
This is a fresh start from the software itself, but not the OS.  Is that what you are referring to?

I am running this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  Is there any reason this wouldn't work?  In reading online forums, facebook groups, etc - and talking with several people who are using their own DMRlink/HBlink server, I get mixed opinions about whether Ubuntu will work or not.  It is a Debian based OS, but different enough that some say it won't work, even though it works on Raspian, which is much more watered-down than what I am running.

If I am going to start fresh all over again, what OS do you recommend I start with?  It can be anything, I don't care, I just want to know what works best.


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

Here is the result of that command, running with SUDO

jape@josephus:/opt/dmrlink/HBlink$ sudo pip show dme_utils
The directory '/home/jape/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Steve, in your reply #2727, there is nothing about installing dmr_utils or dependencies.  If I am going to start over with a new OS, where do these steps fall in the process?


Re: P25<-->DMR issue "Still"

Ian Tulley
 

Thanks Steve, will give that a try soon.

------------------
Regards
Ian (VK2HK)




On 3 Jan 2019, at 7:51 am, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Set the USRP audio settings in BOTH ini files to:
aslAudio = AUDIO_USE_GAIN
agcGain = 1.0
dmrAudio = AUDIO_USE_GAIN
dmrGain = 1.0

From there you can go up to 1.5,2,etc or down .9,.8,etc.


On 1/2/2019 3:46 PM, Ian Tulley wrote:
Hi Steve, if I do systemctl status md380-emu it shows it as running, if I TX from the P25 radio, I get very broken audio out of the DMR, if I TX from the DMR Radio I just get very harsh hash from the P25 Radio, that was with the USRP Audio settings as per default. I am assuming I will need to adjust those on both of the Analog_Bridge ini files ??

I have not done any as yet this morning, but will be looking at it hopefully in the next hour.

------------------
Regards
Ian (VK2HK)




On 2 Jan 2019, at 9:36 pm, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

So,
it sounds like P25 is working all the way to Analog_Bridge. It also sounds like you have a problem with Analog_Bridge for DMR.
Are you using the emulator?
Is the emulator running?

Steve

On 1/2/19 2:40 AM, Ian Tulley wrote:
Hi Steve, OK here is what I have been able to achieve, P25Gateway runs fine, I can then start MMDVM_Bridge and it connects to the BM Master successfully, I can TX on both the P25 radio and the DMR radio on different repeaters and see my calls come up on the screen output. I then start up Analog_Bridge_P25.ini and do the same test and again can see myself coming up on the screen output but no audio between them. Now when I startup Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini and do the same test I can see myself come up on the screen output then I get the following error, only on that Stanza, "Emulator Timed out on Decode" or "Emulator Timed out on Encode" depending on the direction of the data and still no audio in either direction, but I can get the DMR repeater to TX "sometimes" when PTT from the P25 radio but no audio.
I'm not sure where to look for this one, please remember this is on a server in the cloud so there are no USB Dongles connected, I'm only using the software decoder.

Regards
Ian (VK2HK)





Re: P25<-->DMR issue "Still"

Steve N4IRS
 

Set the USRP audio settings in BOTH ini files to:
aslAudio = AUDIO_USE_GAIN
agcGain = 1.0
dmrAudio = AUDIO_USE_GAIN
dmrGain = 1.0

From there you can go up to 1.5,2,etc or down .9,.8,etc.


On 1/2/2019 3:46 PM, Ian Tulley wrote:
Hi Steve, if I do systemctl status md380-emu it shows it as running, if I TX from the P25 radio, I get very broken audio out of the DMR, if I TX from the DMR Radio I just get very harsh hash from the P25 Radio, that was with the USRP Audio settings as per default. I am assuming I will need to adjust those on both of the Analog_Bridge ini files ??

I have not done any as yet this morning, but will be looking at it hopefully in the next hour.

------------------
Regards
Ian (VK2HK)




On 2 Jan 2019, at 9:36 pm, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

So,
it sounds like P25 is working all the way to Analog_Bridge. It also sounds like you have a problem with Analog_Bridge for DMR.
Are you using the emulator?
Is the emulator running?

Steve

On 1/2/19 2:40 AM, Ian Tulley wrote:
Hi Steve, OK here is what I have been able to achieve, P25Gateway runs fine, I can then start MMDVM_Bridge and it connects to the BM Master successfully, I can TX on both the P25 radio and the DMR radio on different repeaters and see my calls come up on the screen output. I then start up Analog_Bridge_P25.ini and do the same test and again can see myself coming up on the screen output but no audio between them. Now when I startup Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini and do the same test I can see myself come up on the screen output then I get the following error, only on that Stanza, "Emulator Timed out on Decode" or "Emulator Timed out on Encode" depending on the direction of the data and still no audio in either direction, but I can get the DMR repeater to TX "sometimes" when PTT from the P25 radio but no audio.
I'm not sure where to look for this one, please remember this is on a server in the cloud so there are no USB Dongles connected, I'm only using the software decoder.

Regards
Ian (VK2HK)




Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

This is a fresh start from the software itself, but not the OS.  Is that what you are referring to?

I am running this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  Is there any reason this wouldn't work?  In reading online forums, facebook groups, etc - and talking with several people who are using their own DMRlink/HBlink server, I get mixed opinions about whether Ubuntu will work or not.  It is a Debian based OS, but different enough that some say it won't work, even though it works on Raspian, which is much more watered-down than what I am running.

If I am going to start fresh all over again, what OS do you recommend I start with?  It can be anything, I don't care, I just want to know what works best.


Re: P25<-->DMR issue "Still"

Ian Tulley
 

Hi Steve, if I do systemctl status md380-emu it shows it as running, if I TX from the P25 radio, I get very broken audio out of the DMR, if I TX from the DMR Radio I just get very harsh hash from the P25 Radio, that was with the USRP Audio settings as per default. I am assuming I will need to adjust those on both of the Analog_Bridge ini files ??

I have not done any as yet this morning, but will be looking at it hopefully in the next hour.

------------------
Regards
Ian (VK2HK)




On 2 Jan 2019, at 9:36 pm, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

So,
it sounds like P25 is working all the way to Analog_Bridge. It also sounds like you have a problem with Analog_Bridge for DMR.
Are you using the emulator?
Is the emulator running?

Steve

On 1/2/19 2:40 AM, Ian Tulley wrote:
Hi Steve, OK here is what I have been able to achieve, P25Gateway runs fine, I can then start MMDVM_Bridge and it connects to the BM Master successfully, I can TX on both the P25 radio and the DMR radio on different repeaters and see my calls come up on the screen output. I then start up Analog_Bridge_P25.ini and do the same test and again can see myself coming up on the screen output but no audio between them. Now when I startup Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini and do the same test I can see myself come up on the screen output then I get the following error, only on that Stanza, "Emulator Timed out on Decode" or "Emulator Timed out on Encode" depending on the direction of the data and still no audio in either direction, but I can get the DMR repeater to TX "sometimes" when PTT from the P25 radio but no audio.
I'm not sure where to look for this one, please remember this is on a server in the cloud so there are no USB Dongles connected, I'm only using the software decoder.

Regards
Ian (VK2HK)



Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

OK,
I'm confused here is my result

root@orangepipc:~# pip show dmr_utils
Name: dmr-utils
Version: 0.1.19
Summary: ETSI DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) Tier II Utilities
Home-page: https://github.com/n0mjs710/dmr_utils
Author: Cortney T. Buffington, N0MJS
Author-email: n0mjs@...
License: GPLv3
Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requires: bitstring, bitarray

I'm out of answers. Best I can tell you at this point is to start fresh. At least that is what I would do.

Steve

On 1/2/2019 3:41 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
My MMDVM hotspot is connecting to my server via the HBlink.cfg file.  I show it is connected now.  I am running both the hotspot and the HBlink server here on my home network, so I just have it connecting to an internal IP, but it seems to be working.

Here is the cmd you asked for:

jape@josephus:/opt/dmrlink/HBlink$ pip show dmr_utils
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
 


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

My MMDVM hotspot is connecting to my server via the HBlink.cfg file.  I show it is connected now.  I am running both the hotspot and the HBlink server here on my home network, so I just have it connecting to an internal IP, but it seems to be working.

Here is the cmd you asked for:

jape@josephus:/opt/dmrlink/HBlink$ pip show dmr_utils
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
 


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

What is the result of:
pip show dmr_utils


On 1/2/2019 3:23 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
OK got that done, trying to run the dmrlink.py in the foreground, getting this message below - it doesn't appear to be connecting to the cbridge yet.  I haven't tried the hblink connection yet.

jape@josephus:/opt/dmrlink/DMRlink$ sudo python dmrlink.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dmrlink.py", line 1098, in <module>
    peer_ids, subscriber_ids, talkgroup_ids, local_ids = build_aliases(CONFIG, logger)
  File "dmrlink.py", line 116, in build_aliases
    peer_ids = mk_id_dict(_config['ALIASES']['PATH'], _config['ALIASES']['PEER_FILE'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dmr_utils/utils.py", line 107, in mk_id_dict
    dict[int(row[0])] = (row[1])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'Repeater ID'


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

OK got that done, trying to run the dmrlink.py in the foreground, getting this message below - it doesn't appear to be connecting to the cbridge yet.  I haven't tried the hblink connection yet.

jape@josephus:/opt/dmrlink/DMRlink$ sudo python dmrlink.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dmrlink.py", line 1098, in <module>
    peer_ids, subscriber_ids, talkgroup_ids, local_ids = build_aliases(CONFIG, logger)
  File "dmrlink.py", line 116, in build_aliases
    peer_ids = mk_id_dict(_config['ALIASES']['PATH'], _config['ALIASES']['PEER_FILE'])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dmr_utils/utils.py", line 107, in mk_id_dict
    dict[int(row[0])] = (row[1])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'Repeater ID'


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

That is the foreground.

On 1/2/2019 2:54 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
how do I run it in the foreground to watch it?


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

how do I run it in the foreground to watch it?


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

python name_of_program.py

On 1/2/2019 2:42 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
I've already done all of that, about a year ago upon initial setup, but it seems some things have changed since then.  I will remove all of my current installs and start from scratch.

A couple of questions, though:
How do you start *.py files and how do I run it in the foreground to watch it?


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

I've already done all of that, about a year ago upon initial setup, but it seems some things have changed since then.  I will remove all of my current installs and start from scratch.

A couple of questions, though:
How do you start *.py files and how do I run it in the foreground to watch it?


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

If you are trying to connect a HB based system (MMDVM) to your c-Bridge

You will need the 2 branches:
https://github.com/n0mjs710/DMRlink/tree/IPSC_Bridge
https://github.com/n0mjs710/HBlink/tree/HB_Bridge

You can put all the files in the same directory. Build from the outside in. That way you can see the traffic flow as you add a program.
Configure dmrlink.cfg to login to your c-Bridge as a peer
Configure hblink as a server for your repeater

run dmrlink and verify it is logging into the c-Bridge
run hblink and verify your MMDVM repeater is logging in.
These are just for TESTING your configs.

Configure HB_Bridge.cfg and IPSC_Bridge.cfg to talk to each other. (cross UDP ports)
Start IPSC_Bridge.py You should see it login to your c-Bridge
Start HB_Bridge.py You should see your MMDVM Repeater login to it.
If you have the HB_Bridge.cfg and IPSC_Bridge.cfg correct, you should see traffic flow.

While building, run everything in the foreground so that you can watch the logs in real time.
Make sure you see the traffic before moving on.

Steve N4IRS

On 1/2/2019 2:22 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
I was able to get it downgraded and I ran the pip install dmr_utils cmd again, and it seems to work - although it says I have everything that I need

I DID do the upgrade manually, since the OS prompted me to do that, so having a line in your instructions, saying to avoid this, would be helpful.

Now that I have that done, what would be the next step to get it to actually connect to the cbridge?  

This Ubuntu box is a test box, we can do anything we want to do, and aren't going to lose anything.  Fire away.


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Jason Johnston
 

I was able to get it downgraded and I ran the pip install dmr_utils cmd again, and it seems to work - although it says I have everything that I need

I DID do the upgrade manually, since the OS prompted me to do that, so having a line in your instructions, saying to avoid this, would be helpful.

Now that I have that done, what would be the next step to get it to actually connect to the cbridge?  

This Ubuntu box is a test box, we can do anything we want to do, and aren't going to lose anything.  Fire away.


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>
 


I STRONGLY recommend that if you need to update outside of what your distribution package maintainer uses that you use a python virtualenv (virtual environment). And this stuff is getting way outside of what I’m comfortable providing support on really quickly.

On Jan 2, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Cort know much more about python then I do but I did find this:
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49836676/error-after-upgrading-pip-cannot-import-name-main>
See number 402 and also <https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/5221>


On 1/2/2019 2:05 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
Here is a cat cmd from the file referenced in the error"

#!/usr/bin/python
# GENERATED BY DEBIAN
 
import sys
 
# Run the main entry point, similarly to how setuptools does it, but because
# we didn't install the actual entry point from setup.py, don't use the
# pkg_resources API.
from pip import main
if __name__ == '__main__':
    sys.exit(main())
 


Cort Buffington
785-865-7206


Re: Setting up DMRLink <-> KBLink #best_practices #dmrlink #hblink

Steve N4IRS
 

On 1/2/2019 2:05 PM, Jason Johnston wrote:
Here is a cat cmd from the file referenced in the error"

#!/usr/bin/python
# GENERATED BY DEBIAN
 
import sys
 
# Run the main entry point, similarly to how setuptools does it, but because
# we didn't install the actual entry point from setup.py, don't use the
# pkg_resources API.
from pip import main
if __name__ == '__main__':
    sys.exit(main())
 

7901 - 7920 of 10557