P25 Integration via AllStar Link

Mike AE4ML

The config on the router will change and the raspberry Pi will be run a different set of  programs.
There will be no way to switch back and forth between the P25NX and the DVSwitch systems.

Mike AE4ML

Sent from iPhone plus. Misspelling are due to the auto correction methods used by Apple.

On May 1, 2018, at 02:00, J P Watters KC9KKO <kc9kko@...> wrote:

Mike,

Does that mean that we would only need one router per site (per quantar) to implement.
No Raspberry PI needed?

J P Watters KC9KKO <kc9kko@...>

Mike,

Does that mean that we would only need one router per site (per quantar) to implement.
No Raspberry PI needed?

Steve N4IRS

JP,
I have setup a sub group for Quantar_Bridge. Everyone is welcome and I'm not limiting Quantar messages here. I just think QB is specialized enough to have it's own sub group. The sub group is at <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Quantar-Bridge>

On 04/29/2018 01:33 PM, J P Watters KC9KKO wrote:
Steve,

Going to order a Cisco 1841 from Ebay.

Are there any particular requirements or features for the Cisco 1841. ie IOS or Featurses?

..jpw
KC9KKO

Mike AE4ML

I have been working on a router configuration build out using 15.1 advanced Enterprise code. This is what I have used to link my Quantars repeaters without placing them on the P25NX system.

Mike
AE4ML

J P Watters KC9KKO <kc9kko@...>

Steve,

Going to order a Cisco 1841 from Ebay.

Are there any particular requirements or features for the Cisco 1841. ie IOS or Featurses?

..jpw
KC9KKO

Steve N4IRS

Well,
This is heating up more then I would have expected. Looking back over one of my first answers, we need to simplify connecting a Quantar P25 to AllStarLink. Mike, N4IRR and I will have to go over it to see what should be done to Quantar Bridge to simplify the Partners needed. Quantar will need to act more like a traditional DVSwitch Partner think it can look something like this:
Quantar (V.24 board) <---> Cisco <---> Analog_bridge <---> AllstarLink.
At least for the foreseeable future, the Cisco will still be required. I am using the 1841. It's at end of life but it's quite available on eBay and the hardware and software can be upgraded to do the job. I will say of the digital voice modes, P25 is one of the best choices to connect to a analog network due to the improved voice quality. The same can be said for Yaesu wide since they are both IMBE.

73, Steve N4IRS

Tracy KI0HC

Hi

This is my first post, I am new to the group, I live in the Denver area and have two Quantar repeaters on 900MHz.
I'm also very interested on how to get my Quantar P25 to work on Allstar, I just changed my repeater over to P25 and would like to take the next step to link it to the Allstar network.

73's
Tracy KI0HC

Steve N4IRS

You will not need a DIU at all. The analog to P25 conversion will be done with a piece of software called P25_Bridge on the right side of the diagram. The Cisco is a 1841 router just like P25NX uses. We hope to replace it with a custom board that handles the HDLC data, but for now it works with the Cisco. We are very early in the Quantar to MMDVM connection and have at least one major bug to squash. The bug is in the Metadata from the MMDVM Nettwork to the Quantar.

Steve

On 3/20/2018 1:14 PM, William Freeman wrote:
Steve

It sounds about right.

I’m basically trying to maintain a P25 network of repeaters that are linked to a few FM repeaters and simplex nodes. Mostly just to say that I can do it (I like tinkering with radio stuff).

Would I need to purchase a DIU for each repeater or just the cisco board that you mentioned?

William Freeman

On Mar 20, 2018, at 10:08 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Bill,
If I understand, you would like to connect a P25 Quantar in P25 mode to a AllStarLink network. That is quite possible though it takes a few things. We can connect a AllStarLink network to the MMDVM P25 Reflector system. We can also connect a Quantar to the MMDVM P25 Reflector system. As of today, the code is early but all the pieces work. For the Quantar, TODAY we still require the same V.24 board and Cisco router that P25NX uses. To be clear, no The P25NX network is not involved. We just use the same hardware. The MMDVM P25 Reflector is open source, so that is not a problem. It would look something like this:

Quantar <---> Cisco <---> RPi <---> MMDVM Reflector <---> RPi <---> AllStarLink

This is a very simplistic layout. On the Quantar side, multiple repeaters could connect to the reflector. On the AllStarLink side, the node could be connected to a AllStarLink HUB.
The computers in the diagram are RaspberryPi. The can be any type of Linux machine you like. The MMDVM Reflector and the AllStarLink node could be on a single computer. This starts depending on how you want to build it.

Could we drop the MMDVM Reflector? Yes. Each Quantar could have all the hardware and software to connect to the AllStarLink network.

As I said the code is early. We are working to release the software parts to make this happen. I do not have a time frame at this time.If this is something you would like to move forward with, we can go deeper.

Some of this depends on how you want to lay it out.

73, Steve N4IRS

William Freeman

[...]

Good morning, everyone!

I was pointed over here from the AllStar Link mailing list. I own and operate several mixed-mode P25/FM ham machines (100w Quantars) in Las Vegas. Currently, the FM machine is connected to the AllStar Link system while the P25 is standalone. I would like to ultimately run P25 exclusively but still have it connected to the local AllStar network here in Vegas that has FM-only machines. Has anyone accomplished this? Does anyone have the procedures for doing this? I am not interested in connecting the P25nx system, but rather the overall AllStar Link system.

Bill N4NJJ

--
William Freeman