New to this group - Interested in DMR to analog linking.

Veijo Arponen OH4VA

Hei,

I'm a Unix/Linux guy but today I managed build a system which cross-links a BrandMeister talk group to TeamSpeak3 at IRN and EchoLink node OH3NFC-L. The hardware I'm using is a laptop runninng Windows 10 and ThumbDV which takes care of the AMBE coding.

The applications are:
- TS3 Client 32 bit with TS-Gateway Commander addon
- EchoLink client running in sysop mode
- com0com with hub4com
- A free virtual audio cable (one channel)

The trickiest part was the RX/TX-control without any VOX operated linking applications

73 de Veijo

George Zafiropoulos

Hi John and Steve,
I have no specific hardware in mind.  That is what I want to learn from you guys.  What would be the best hardware and/or software to make this work.  At a bare minimum what we want to do is have a port on our analog control system plug into some sort of hardware (AllStar node ?) that connects to the internet.  Then somewhere in the cloud or on a computer in our own site have some software that bridges from that AllStar node to our Talk Group 31075.
If we can just do that, it would be great.  Anything beyond that, like the ability to dyanmically point the analog port device to another talk gorup would be icing on the cake.
To so this, what is the best approach?
We have access to data centers with high speed connections and lots of smart people who know their way around linux, networking and all that.  We just don't want to reinvent the wheel.
What would you guys recommend?
Thanks!
George KJ6VU

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 8:55 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
That is correct - the PiDV is no longer in production.

The UDRC-II is the radio interface, including control lines and audio.
The ThumbDV is the Vocoder.

They can both be used with the RPi 2/3 at the same time.

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 2:33 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
The UDRC-II is not a vocoder. It is a radio interface. As far as I know, NW Digital not longet makes the PiDV.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 05/08/2018 04:41 PM, SkierInAvon via Groups.Io wrote:
George what HW are you planning to use for your (RPi 3  based ??) Allstar to DMR Gateway?
I've read that the NW Digital - Thumb DV can work...I'd rather use their Digital UDRC-II board which interfaces with the RPi 3 via the Pi's IO connector.  Much cleaner package.

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA

[...]

Steve N4IRS

The UDRC-II is not a vocoder. It is a radio interface. As far as I know, NW Digital not longet makes the PiDV.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 05/08/2018 04:41 PM, SkierInAvon via Groups.Io wrote:
George what HW are you planning to use for your (RPi 3  based ??) Allstar to DMR Gateway?
I've read that the NW Digital - Thumb DV can work...I'd rather use their Digital UDRC-II board which interfaces with the RPi 3 via the Pi's IO connector.  Much cleaner package.

Peter Buckley

George what HW are you planning to use for your (RPi 3  based ??) Allstar to DMR Gateway?
I've read that the NW Digital - Thumb DV can work...I'd rather use their Digital UDRC-II board which interfaces with the RPi 3 via the Pi's IO connector.  Much cleaner package.

Steve N4IRS

No hardware USRP required. The USRP channel driver simply transports the analog (PCM) via UDP in and out of AllStarLInk. Take a look in the file section <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main/files> Any reference you dee to DMRGateway, think Analog_Bridge.

On 5/8/2018 1:27 PM, George Zafiropoulos wrote:
Thanks very much Steve.  Is there a any documentation on these things or a pointer to a github?  Also when you say the AllStar link uses USRP channel driver, is this an Ettus USRP driver?  Is there a hardware USRP in the loop or is it all software?
Thanks for taking the time to help me understand.
Regards,
George

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
George,
I have to admit, to say there is a lack of documentation is a understatement. I can give you the basics of analog to DMR. All of the bridging programs used are building blocks. For analog, we provide a connection to an AllStarLInk node using the USRP channel driver. For the connection to BM you have a couple of choices depending on the complexity of what you are trying to do. The flow diagram looks like this:
AlLStarLink <---> Analog_Bridge <--> DMR Network Bridge
For a simple BM connection you can use MMDDVM_Bridge. If you plan to filter TGs or bridge other networks then HB_Bridge will do the job quite well.

73, Steve N4IRS

George Zafiropoulos

[...]

I am new to this group and I was wondering if there is any backgroud info on what you are doing.  I am responsible for a repeater system with multiple analog FM repeaters linked by RF and one each DMR, Fusion and D-STAR repeater.
The main thing I am trying to figure out the options to bridge our analog network with the DMR Brandmeister network.
Thanks for any pointers.
73
George KJ6VU