DMR to DSTAR

Mike, AA9VI

Is there a more simpler way to set up a transcode between a DStar REF and and DMR REF than by using the below method?
ircddbgw--> Dummyrepeater--> Analog Bridge --> ASL  <-- Analog_Bridge <-- DMR REF

I've see dummy repeater crash from time to time. Can you patch together two MMDVM instances to avoid Analog Bridge and ASL?

Mike, AA9VI

Steve N4IRS

DummyRepeater has been replaced with MMDVM_Bridge
D-Star <---> ircddbgateway <---> MMDVM_Bridge <---. Analog_Bridge <---> Analog_Bridge <---> MMDVM_Bridge <---> DMR

Steve

On 06/03/2018 11:47 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Is there a more simpler way to set up a transcode between a DStar REF and and DMR REF than by using the below method?
ircddbgw--> Dummyrepeater--> Analog Bridge --> ASL  <-- Analog_Bridge <-- DMR REF

I've see dummy repeater crash from time to time. Can you patch together two MMDVM instances to avoid Analog Bridge and ASL?

Mike, AA9VI

Steve N4IRS

Note:
D-Star <---> ircDDBGateway <---> MMDVM_Bridge <---> Analog_Bridge_DSTAR <---> Analog_Bridge_DMR <---> MMDVM_Bridge <---> DMR
The above MMDVM_Bridge can be a single instance. In DVSwitch.ini point the DSTAR ports at Analog_Bridge_DSTAR and point DMR at Analog_Bridge_DMR
Enable both modes on MMDVM_Bridge.ini

Steve

On 06/03/2018 11:47 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Is there a more simpler way to set up a transcode between a DStar REF and and DMR REF than by using the below method?
ircddbgw--> Dummyrepeater--> Analog Bridge --> ASL  <-- Analog_Bridge <-- DMR REF

I've see dummy repeater crash from time to time. Can you patch together two MMDVM instances to avoid Analog Bridge and ASL?

Mike, AA9VI

Mike, AA9VI

Steve,
Is ambeserver required for MMDVM Bridge?

Mike

Matthew 2E0SIP

You don't *need* AMBEServer alongside Analog_Bridge, it's only required if your transcoding chips are connected to a different device than the one Analog_Bridge is running on.

You will however need at least one hardware transcoder for the D-Star side, whether it's connected locally 9r VIA AMBEServer

Steve N4IRS

MMDVM_Bridge does not use a Vocoder, Analog_Bridge does. For DMR <-> D-Star you will need to transcode. So, you will need 2 instances of Analog_Bridge. Analog_Bridge can use AMBEserver to access or it can access the Vocoder directly. For DMR<-> D-Star you will want to have at least 1 real hardware Vocoder.

Steve

On 06/21/2018 07:04 PM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
Is ambeserver required for MMDVM Bridge?

Mike

Mike, AA9VI

Yep.  I have 2 thumbDVs on the same box as the 2 instances of Analog_Bridge.  My problem is I have one way audio.  Only DStar--> DMR audio is working.  Just trying to troubelshoot.

Steve N4IRS

Run everything in the foreground. You should see the traffic at each program. Check the port numbers TX to RX.

On 06/21/2018 07:58 PM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Yep.  I have 2 thumbDVs on the same box as the 2 instances of Analog_Bridge.  My problem is I have one way audio.  Only DStar--> DMR audio is working.  Just trying to troubelshoot.

Mike, AA9VI

Steve,
I think Analog_Bridge.x64 is broken on Jessie.

mike@allstar:/opt/Analog_Bridge$ sudo ./Analog_Bridge.x64 Analog_Bridge.ini
./Analog_Bridge.x64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./Analog_Bridge.x64)

I had this one way audio issue that I was trying to resolve and I just guessing this may be why.  I tried installing a new version of GCC but that opens up a whole can of worms with unment dependencies.  I'm going to try and compile a newer gcc from source and see if that resolves the CXXABI error.

Mike

Mike KB8JNM

Well,
I think you need to double check the port assigned paths RX > TX & TX > RX
Most likely the issue.

Steve N4IRS

I'll build a Analog_Bridge on Jessie64 (again?) I thought I did already. In the mean time, if you had one way audio Analog_bridge had to be working.

On 06/23/2018 10:31 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
I think Analog_Bridge.x64 is broken on Jessie.

mike@allstar:/opt/Analog_Bridge$ sudo ./Analog_Bridge.x64 Analog_Bridge.ini
./Analog_Bridge.x64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./Analog_Bridge.x64)

I had this one way audio issue that I was trying to resolve and I just guessing this may be why.  I tried installing a new version of GCC but that opens up a whole can of worms with unment dependencies.  I'm going to try and compile a newer gcc from source and see if that resolves the CXXABI error.

Mike

Steve N4IRS

And, just to be clear, you are running Analog_Bridge from the deb (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade) not from the github repo

On 06/23/2018 10:31 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
I think Analog_Bridge.x64 is broken on Jessie.

mike@allstar:/opt/Analog_Bridge$ sudo ./Analog_Bridge.x64 Analog_Bridge.ini
./Analog_Bridge.x64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./Analog_Bridge.x64)

I had this one way audio issue that I was trying to resolve and I just guessing this may be why.  I tried installing a new version of GCC but that opens up a whole can of worms with unment dependencies.  I'm going to try and compile a newer gcc from source and see if that resolves the CXXABI error.

Mike

Steve N4IRS

Mike,
Do a apt-get update and a apt-get upgrade. Please report results after retesting Analog_Bridge on Jessie 64

On 06/23/2018 10:31 AM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
I think Analog_Bridge.x64 is broken on Jessie.

mike@allstar:/opt/Analog_Bridge$ sudo ./Analog_Bridge.x64 Analog_Bridge.ini
./Analog_Bridge.x64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./Analog_Bridge.x64)

I had this one way audio issue that I was trying to resolve and I just guessing this may be why.  I tried installing a new version of GCC but that opens up a whole can of worms with unment dependencies.  I'm going to try and compile a newer gcc from source and see if that resolves the CXXABI error.

Mike

Mike, AA9VI

Edited

I tried with the apt-get and since I could not resolve the issues so then I tried with the github since that previously worked a while back.  The audio works from DSTAR-DMR but not the other way around.  Attached are the config files.  Do you see anything wrong?  I've been making so many changes over the last week trying to troubleshoot this that maybe I screwed something up.  I need another set of eyes to see it.

I tried to do it all from MMDVM but since that didn't work I tried dmrlink.  Same problem.  The repeater can connect to the host program (MMDVM or dmrlink) but it will not talk to analog bridge... at least I don't see traffic on the terminal window.  In these files I am using DMRlink for the DMR and MMDVM for the Dstar.  There are two instances of Analog_Bridge:  1 for DMR, 1 for DStar (with Dstar suffix).  Note, due to earlier problems, perhaps unrelated, I am not currently using DVSwitch/MMDVM for DMR.  I opted to use DMRlink.

I even tried the md380-emu in place of ttyUSB0 for the DMR side but that didn't change anything so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Steve N4IRS

Mike,
So D-Star -> DMR works.. For that to work we know that all of the programs involved are running. To trouble shoot the other direction, follow the data. Since the problem is DMR -> D-Star, start at the DMR connection. When you have inbound DMR traffic, do you see it while running MMDVM_Bridge in the foreground? If not stop, your fist problem is there. Once you see the traffic on MMDVM_Bridge, start Analog_bridge in the foreground. Do you see the traffic arrive at Analog_Bridge? If not stop, your problem is there. Make sure the DMR TX port is pointing at the Analog_Bridge RX port. (in the [AMBE_AUDIO] stanza) Follow the data one program at a time. You should see it every step of the way. Run everything in the foreground.

On 06/23/2018 12:22 PM, Mike Swiatkowski via Groups.Io wrote:
I tried with the apt-get and since I could not resolve the issues I tried with the github since that previously worked a while back.  The audio works from DSTAR-DMR but not the other way around.  Attached are the config files.  Do you see anything wrong?  I've been making so many changes over the last week trying to troubleshoot this that maybe I screwed something up.  I need another set of eyes to see it.

I tried to do it all from MMDVM but since that didn't work I tried dmrlink.  Same problem.  The repeater can connect to the host program (MMDVM or dmrlink) but it will not talk to analog bridge... at least I don't see traffic on the terminal window.  In these files I am using DMRlink for the DMR and MMDVM for the Dstar.  There are two instances of Analog_Bridge:  1 for DMR, 1 for DStar (with Dstar suffix).  Note, due to earlier problems, perhaps unrelated, I am not currently using DVSwitch/MMDVM for DMR.  I opted to use DMRlink.

I even tried the md380-emu in place of ttyUSB0 for the DMR side but that didn't change anything so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Mike, AA9VI

Still no luck.  I have only 1-way audio after weeks of trying. I followed your google share instructions to the word.  But, there are a few things that are unclear.
1) I need 2 instances of analog bridge with two ini files right?  (1 for DMR, 1 for DSTAR)
2) I need 2 DVSwitch.ini files, right?
3) I need 2 MMDVM instances running with 2 ini files right? (your doc says this but I thought you told me one via the message board)
4) I am using ThumbDVs.  I set the baud rate and 460800 right?
5) Are there any prerequsite binaries I need to install for this aside from the apt-get install dvswitch?
6) These sample files do not exist:
Sample Configuration files
/usr/share/doc/dvswitch
Where else could they be?

7) What is the difference between issuing a command like:
./Analog_Bridge ./Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini  versus ./Analog_Bridge Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini ?

8) Should the different MMDVM_Bridge instances be placed in different directories or does it matter?  Similarly the same question for Analog_Bridge.

BEST I can tell by watching the foreground is the PCM conversion is happening in one direction only.  Somehow the USRP is only working DMR-> DSTAR and not the other way around.  This would seem to indicate the ports are not inverted on each side.  But, they are.  So now what?

Steve N4IRS

BM <-> MMDVM_Bridge_0 <-> Analog_Bridge_1 <-> Analog_Bridge_2 <-> MMDVM_Bridge_0 <-> ircDDBGateway <-> D-Star Network
This is one copy of MMDVM_Bridge with DMR and D-Star enabled.

On 07/19/2018 12:05 AM, Mike, AA9VI via Groups.Io wrote:
Still no luck.  I have only 1-way audio after weeks of trying. I followed your google share instructions to the word.  But, there are a few things that are unclear.
1) I need 2 instances of analog bridge with two ini files right?  (1 for DMR, 1 for DSTAR)
Yes
2) I need 2 DVSwitch.ini files, right?
No
3) I need 2 MMDVM instances running with 2 ini files right? (your doc says this but I thought you told me one via the message board)
It can be run tat way but does not have to.
4) I am using ThumbDVs.  I set the baud rate and 460800 right?
Yes
5) Are there any prerequsite binaries I need to install for this aside from the apt-get install dvswitch?
No
6) These sample files do not exist:
Sample Configuration files
/usr/share/doc/dvswitch
Where else could they be?
I'll check

7) What is the difference between issuing a command like:
./Analog_Bridge ./Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini  versus ./Analog_Bridge Analog_Bridge_DMR.ini ?
Nothing

8) Should the different MMDVM_Bridge instances be placed in different directories or does it matter?  Similarly the same question for Analog_Bridge.
Can be, but may not need be.

BEST I can tell by watching the foreground is the PCM conversion is happening in one direction only.  Somehow the USRP is only working DMR-> DSTAR and not the other way around.  This would seem to indicate the ports are not inverted on each side.  But, they are.  So now what?
If D-Star -> DMR is not working, follow it through the chain. Run everything in the foreground. Does MMDVM_Bridge see the traffic? Yes? No? if no, stop and troubleshoot. Do not go to the next step until you see the traffic.

Mike, AA9VI

Steve,
Can you issue the following commands and post the output?
uhd_usrp_probe
uhd_find_devices
I am getting "No UHD Devices Found" and that may be the problem with all of this...

Here is my reference: https://kb.ettus.com/Verifying_the_Operation_of_the_USRP_Using_UHD_and_GNU_Radio

Steve N4IRS

Those commands are not valid with Analog_Bridge.

On 07/23/2018 10:07 PM, Mike, AA9VI via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve,
Can you issue the following commands and post the output?
uhd_usrp_probe
uhd_find_devices
I am getting "No UHD Devices Found" and that may be the problem with all of this...

Here is my reference: https://kb.ettus.com/Verifying_the_Operation_of_the_USRP_Using_UHD_and_GNU_Radio

David BV3UN

HI Steve
does dvswitch support DVmege 3003 transcode ?
http://www.dvmega.co.uk/AMBE3003%20DV%20USB%20Stick.html

because i had this .and it can not detect this dongle