New member, few questions regarding hblink/hb_bridge/hb_confbridge

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

If you have each client have a different connection setup you could use conf bridge and manage this quite easily.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 3:14 PM, Colby Ross W1BSB <colbypr@...> wrote:

That's what I thought. Thanks Steve. So at this time if repeat were off there would be no way to define a list of talk groups that would be repeated to other clients which was kind of what I thought. 

Colby

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018, 15:12 Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
If two clients are connected to the same Master and repeat is turned on, all traffic will pass between the two clients.
If two clients are connected to different Master and repeat is turned on, only the TGs defined in hb_confbridge will pass between the two clients.

On 6/8/2018 2:28 PM, Colby Ross W1BSB wrote:
There is not. I didn't want every talk group being repeated, only ones that were defined.

Colby

Colby Ross W1BSB

In my testing with repeat off even if using the bridged talkgroup the other clients on the same master don't hear it which is what I was looking for. Thanks again for the help. 

Cokby

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018, 15:16 Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
repeat only controls traffic passing within a Master. It does not effect traffic passing through the conf_bridge. At least I think so.

On 6/8/2018 3:14 PM, Colby Ross W1BSB wrote:
That's what I thought. Thanks Steve. So at this time if repeat were off there would be no way to define a list of talk groups that would be repeated to other clients which was kind of what I thought. 

Colby

If two clients are connected to the same Master and repeat is turned on, all traffic will pass between the two clients.
If two clients are connected to different Master and repeat is turned on, only the TGs defined in hb_confbridge will pass between the two clients.

There is not. I didn't want every talk group being repeated, only ones that were defined.

Colby

Steve N4IRS

repeat only controls traffic passing within a Master. It does not effect traffic passing through the conf_bridge. At least I think so.

On 6/8/2018 3:14 PM, Colby Ross W1BSB wrote:

Colby

Colby

Colby Ross W1BSB

Colby

Colby

Steve N4IRS

Colby

Colby Ross W1BSB

Colby

Peter M0NWI

Colby,

Is there not a,repeat = Y in the hblink ini file?

Peter

Sent from Outlook
From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of Colby Ross W1BSB <colbypr@...>
Sent: 08 June 2018 19:22:49
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] New member, few questions regarding hblink/hb_bridge/hb_confbridge

Ok, so I've been playing around with hb_confbridge and I think I understand how the bridging portion works now.  I set up 2 masters and had a working bridge between them.  For this example, we have Master 1, Master 2, Client 1, and Client 2.  I connected Client 1 to Master 1, and Client 2 to Master 2. I set up a bridge on talkgroup 555.  Client 1 transmits on TG555 and Client 2 on Master 2 can hear this. 

However, and I think this is likely by design, if I connect Client 2 to Master 1, where Client 1 is also connected, and Client 1 transmits over TG555, Client 2 does not hear it.  This is kind of what I'm looking for, a way to define what talk groups are passed to the other clients without repeating all of it.  I'm figuring that the software isn't likely designed to do this, but maybe it is and I'm just missing it?

Colby W1BSB

Colby Ross W1BSB

Ok, so I've been playing around with hb_confbridge and I think I understand how the bridging portion works now.  I set up 2 masters and had a working bridge between them.  For this example, we have Master 1, Master 2, Client 1, and Client 2.  I connected Client 1 to Master 1, and Client 2 to Master 2. I set up a bridge on talkgroup 555.  Client 1 transmits on TG555 and Client 2 on Master 2 can hear this. 

However, and I think this is likely by design, if I connect Client 2 to Master 1, where Client 1 is also connected, and Client 1 transmits over TG555, Client 2 does not hear it.  This is kind of what I'm looking for, a way to define what talk groups are passed to the other clients without repeating all of it.  I'm figuring that the software isn't likely designed to do this, but maybe it is and I'm just missing it?

Colby W1BSB

Colby Ross W1BSB

So, on repeat, it repeats everything the clients send to the master to the other clients. So if I want to only pass traffic to the clients that they want to hear. i.e. subscription to a specific talk group,  So if we have Server A, and Client B, and Client C, and Client C starts talking on TG300, Client B will receive it when it is just on Repeat. In the same scenario, we have 4 clients, B, C, D, and E. B and E want to have a conversation on TG350, while C and D want to have one on TG300, without the talk group traffic on 300 or 350 being forwarded to systems that aren't interested in it. I think thats the basis of what I'm trying to do.

Eric N0NKI

For clarification of your question, when you say "... but I wanted a way to determine what is repeated ...", are you asking to control and filter what is bridged between hot-spots or/and repeaters?
Are you then asking to control which radio ID's have access and / or which talk-group ID's have access? Or are you simply looking for visibility as to what's happening on your network?
You may be on your own with the filtering question, but I wanted to understand what you are asking for... That might help everyone trying to help you.
I'm just struggling a bit to understand how you use "client" and what "determine" means to you.
73 - NØNKI - Eric

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 8:48 AM, Colby Ross W1BSB <colbypr@...> wrote:

Hello. New to the group. I was honestly unaware of the existence of these programs. I had heard of them mentioned before but never actually had the chance to sit down and experiment and play with them.

I have a basic system set up only for mmdvm clients. I followed the tutorial here: http://ip1.dx40.com/dmrlink/ipscbuild

I set up a simple single master instance for MMDVMHost clients to connect to, with Repeat enabled. It all worked well, traffic was repeated to other clients. So I dug a little deeper and have spent a great deal of time reading the messages here on how everything comes together, but I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle.

I was looking at creating an isolated network for a local ARES project. Single master, few clients. We'll say only MMDVMHost based clients at this time.  I am looking for a way to isolate what what talkgroups are routed over the master, depending on what a connected client selects or knows to use.  I'm thinking I might need more than one master to do this and use something like hb_confbridge to achieve this end, while the clients are connecting to only one master, but I'm not sure. This is all a bit green to me. In the future, adding other types of clients such as Motorola IPSC clients would be in the mix, but I wanted to get this base setup figured out first, and I am a bit lost as to if this is possible given the current design or not.  Obviously, the system works perfect and will repeat anything it hears, from any client, but I wanted a way to determine what is repeated with a single master for all clients to connect to, in order to keep it simple.

Is something like this possible? I feel like it is, and I'm just missing a fairly large piece of the puzzle as to how to implement this with the current programs that are available. I'm trying to avoid several clients connecting to a single master and people using a talk group of their own that is getting sent to all the other connected clients when ultimately that isn't what we need or want, but still allow them to do that so long as the other clients that want to participate explicitly set that on their end (if that makes sense).  Appreciate any help in advance. This project is really interesting and intriguing. This is my first time using this software and figuring it all out, and I apologize in advance if I'm missing some very basic step to do this.

Colby W1BSB

Colby Ross W1BSB

Hello. New to the group. I was honestly unaware of the existence of these programs. I had heard of them mentioned before but never actually had the chance to sit down and experiment and play with them.

I have a basic system set up only for mmdvm clients. I followed the tutorial here: http://ip1.dx40.com/dmrlink/ipscbuild

I set up a simple single master instance for MMDVMHost clients to connect to, with Repeat enabled. It all worked well, traffic was repeated to other clients. So I dug a little deeper and have spent a great deal of time reading the messages here on how everything comes together, but I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle.

I was looking at creating an isolated network for a local ARES project. Single master, few clients. We'll say only MMDVMHost based clients at this time.  I am looking for a way to isolate what what talkgroups are routed over the master, depending on what a connected client selects or knows to use.  I'm thinking I might need more than one master to do this and use something like hb_confbridge to achieve this end, while the clients are connecting to only one master, but I'm not sure. This is all a bit green to me. In the future, adding other types of clients such as Motorola IPSC clients would be in the mix, but I wanted to get this base setup figured out first, and I am a bit lost as to if this is possible given the current design or not.  Obviously, the system works perfect and will repeat anything it hears, from any client, but I wanted a way to determine what is repeated with a single master for all clients to connect to, in order to keep it simple.

Is something like this possible? I feel like it is, and I'm just missing a fairly large piece of the puzzle as to how to implement this with the current programs that are available. I'm trying to avoid several clients connecting to a single master and people using a talk group of their own that is getting sent to all the other connected clients when ultimately that isn't what we need or want, but still allow them to do that so long as the other clients that want to participate explicitly set that on their end (if that makes sense).  Appreciate any help in advance. This project is really interesting and intriguing. This is my first time using this software and figuring it all out, and I apologize in advance if I'm missing some very basic step to do this.

Colby W1BSB