Topics

Building a private network with (mostly) MMDVM P25 repeaters

Robert Johnson

So, I've been searching thru the message archive for a half an hour, without much luck, and I'm wondering some things.

There are about 10 of us in the larger pacific northwest who are potentially interested in building our own little semi-private MMDVM based network - all of us have P25 hardware, but some of us are getting on the DMR bandwagon now too - those of us with DMR are using the local (and wonderful may I note) DCI PNW DMR network - but we're all rag chewers, and (I at least) feel bad about chewing up someone elses resources to sit and flap our gums. We more or less all have needed hardware to build an MMDVM based network.

So, what we're wondering is, how hard is it to do the following, and is DVSwitch the missing link we've been looking for to link ourselves together by:

Creating a heterogeneous linked P25 network (some Quantars, but mostly MMDVM based repeaters).
Optionally, adding DMR based sites in as well (which I know comes with the pain of transcoding).
Creating a linked DMR only network of repeaters.
Doing this without having an always on tie up to a larger established network - without closing the door to a connection to brandmeister or some other network.

I discovered the MMDVM project about three months ago, and I've been looking for the missing link to tie MMDVM repeaters together on P25 - and today I discovered this - can DVSwitch be the missing link we've been looking for?

Thanks and 73's
Robert Johnson
K6WLF

Steve N4IRS

Robert,
Well, I can tell you in a half hour you pretty much got it. The short answer to your questions is yes. Now the fun begins. I suggest you build out slowly and take the transcode bridge last.

Welcome to the group.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 06/05/2018 10:43 PM, Robert Johnson wrote:
[...]

Steve,

Thanks!

The transcode bridge is the part I’m -least- interested in - I work for a major console vendor - I know what that sounds like, and even on a well optimized, designed for the purpose system, it ‘good' is not a primary descriptor I would use to describe how it sounds - somewhere between ‘ok’ and ‘potato’ would be a more apt descriptor.

Also, I’m very pleased to see you guys support Debian/Ubuntu, my fear was RHEL/CentOS, which I hate administering ;-)

Robert Johnson
---
Telegram: @alohawolf
Telephone:+1-562-286-4255
C*NET: 18219881
Email:aloha@blastpuppy.com
--
"Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of "crackpot" than the stigma of conformity."

- Thomas J. Watson Sr.

On Jun 5, 2018, at 7:50 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@msgstor.com> wrote:

[...]

One thing I forgot to mention is that we have broken out subgroups for more topic centric discussions. That is not to say that you can't discuss whatever you want in the main group. By keeping the conversation in subgroups it may make it a little easier to find something. Here is the link for the Quantar subgroup: https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Quantar-Bridge

73, Steve