Now What?

Ronald Foster

This may sound a bit dumb, but now that I have my AllStar/DMR bridge up and working, I'm having trouble seeing the advantage of running the bridge.

Now, as originally configured, I am using my unregistered, personal DMR talk group that no one other than me can use. I link one of my Allstar nodes to the my 45176/1999 node and can use my DMR radio tuned to the TG associated to my BM repeater or my analog radio tuned to my Allstar simplex frequency and key-up my DMR radio. There is a lag between the two.

I have had a remote Allstar node link up to the 45176 node and I could use either radio to qso with this remote node, but I fail to see the advantage to do this.

If I could use different TG's without configuring the initial set-up it would be great, but I'm not aware of being able to do that in conjunction with the same BM repeater and TG selected on my DMR radio.

I'm sure I just don't have the insight at my ripe old age to see all the things that I'm missing out on using the DMR bridge, so please... someone enlighten me. I not too proud to be taught some new tricks!

Ron  K0AAJ

Steve N4IRS

Ron,

Some people want to add DMR to their existing analog repeater. This is USUALLY a static TG.
Some people want to add analog to their existing DMR repeater This is USUALLY a static TG.
Do I read this as that you need more agility is the selection of the TG the bridge is on at any one time?
If that is the case, we have a solution. You can "tune" the DMR TG from your ASL node via DTMF (or script for that matter)

Is that what you are looking for?

73, Steve N4IRS

On 6/14/2018 11:52 AM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

perlguy9@...

My main reason for setting up the ASL DMR bridge was to enable EchoLink access to the Reddit BM talkgroup.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:53 AM Ronald Foster <Rf37797@...> wrote:
[...]

Yeah.... something along those lines. Thx.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

Why can’t anyone other than you use your dmr id as a talkgroup?

On Jun 14, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Ronald Foster <Rf37797@...> wrote:

[...]

This could open up the whole TG numbering discussion. Along with Dynamic vs Static TGs. Corey, take it away....

On 6/14/2018 12:06 PM, Corey Dean N3FE wrote:
[...]

Well, I assume that no one has it programmed into their list of registered TG's. I also assume that the TG could be used for private groups, but I have no need for that one. Again, I'm assuming that would be possible.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...> wrote:
[...]

Damn.... I didn't mean to open a can of worms! LOL!

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

It's fine. That's what this is all about. Discussion. I would not call this a can of worms at all.

Steve

On 6/14/2018 12:14 PM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

Just kiddin.... I asked for insight.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

And I’m so confused about it these days that I see it as once a TG passes out of the domain of a subscriber unit or repeater (into the infrastructure), it’s really just a discrete traffic flow. Which has me frequently questioning the logic of the number and type of TGs in existence today.

Yes, I lurk on here a lot, but don’t talk much these days as I’m mostly still just into the IPSC and HBP stacks anyway :)

0x49 DE N0MJS

On Jun 14, 2018, at 11:16 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

[...]

Cort Buffington
785-865-7206

Steve N4IRS

Corey must be busy with his day job, fulfilling TG labeling requests on BM. ;)
There is nothing keeping anyone from programming a your ID into his radio as a TG and giving you a call. Yes, it is not a labeled TG so it does not show up in a list. As you can see from the list there seems to be a TG for everything. I believe you can find the "left handed, balding, pipe smoking ham group" on a TG if you search the list enough. With the ASL to DMR bridges,
 we wanted to promote a way for someone to come up quickly and not cause havoc on existing TGs. The best way we could come up with was to suggest using your DMR ID as a TG. It was safe.

BM will allow both static and dynamic TGs. A static TG is just that static and is defined on the selfcare page. You can also use a dynamic TG. Simply program your radio (or Analog_Bridge) to the TG and TS. Key the mic and look at your selfcare page. I hope Corey will pipe in and explain the difference when on a HS or repeater. HB_Bridge and MMDVM_Bridge can be configured as either. A HS keeps it simple.

Steve

On 6/14/2018 12:17 PM, Ronald Foster wrote:
[...]

Yeah Steve, I understand.
I suspected the reasoning about the keeping traffic off the popular tg's. I feared I would do just that when I setup my bridge while I was playing BM selfcare.
Lots to considering with the DTMF pass-thru. Thanks.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:32 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

All I meant by this was anyone cal use their own personal 7 digit dmr ID as a talkgroup.  Anyone can program it in there radio and use it.

We do ask that you NOT link it to a statewide talkgroup.  Cbridges that cross-connect do not like that.  In the past they have disconnected because of people doing this.

Cort:  These talkgroups are something.  If you saw some of the request I have seen you wouldn't believe it.  That is one of the reasons we keep a range just those those different type of talkgroups that do not belong in a state range.  Talkgroups are one thing I wish I would have never volunteered to help with.  Everyone and their Mother/Father seems to want one...  They use it for less than a month and I just pull it back.  That is why we are telling people to use their repeater ID or their personal DMR ID for talkgroups.  That way I don't have to mess with them.

Corey N3FE

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike KB8JNM

I can only speak for myself on this matter.
I always look forward to improved emergency communication possibilities,
in doing that quest, I have fun, learn new things, and discover or make new possibilities for myself and others.

I created my own script for connecting on the fly from a allstar node, but,
until I have tested the problems with it and make some goof proof remedy for them,
It will remain just a test script on my systems.

This is NEW stuff, and none of us can think of some of the downsides to what we are doing.
So, a slower dev/testing on this is needed or disaster will soon take over and that will turn everyone off.
There is going to be a rather large influx of newbies and I follow that mold.
But hey, this is amateur radio and what it is all about.

Patients... it is moving forward. But most of it is rather new as far as newer cheaper methods for entry.
I call that 'developments'
It possibly represents the largest expansion to ham radio I may have seen in my lifetime. And that sure is a switch.
More that get involved, the better our chances of solid development that stands the test of time.

So here is to the future possibilities that I see as very bright !

...mike/kb8jnm

perlguy9@...

Steve,

How do you dial up a different talkgroup across an Analog Bridge?

Thanks!

73 de KM8V

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:00 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

I will try to post the script and a how to tomorrow. I want to work out how it interacts with the BM dashboard.

Steve