Trying to set up Parrot

KB5PBM

Edited

I am unable startup parrot.py.  New at this and have conference bridge already running.  Trying to run this in another directory seperate from main bridge.  Error below..  I know I am missing something but cant find it.  Please help.

INFO ID ALIAS MAPPER: 'peer_ids.csv' is current, not downloaded
INFO ID ALIAS MAPPER: 'subscriber_ids.csv' is current, not downloaded
INFO ID ALIAS MAPPER: peer_ids dictionary is available
INFO ID ALIAS MAPPER: subscriber_ids dictionary is available
INFO HBlink 'hb_parrot.py' (c) 2016 N0MJS & the K0USY Group - SYSTEM STARTING...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "hb_parrot.py", line 226, in <module>
    systems[system] = parrot(system, CONFIG, logger)
  File "hb_parrot.py", line 59, in __init__
    HBSYSTEM.__init__(self, _name, _config, _logger)
TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 5 arguments (4 given)

hblink.cfg

[Master]
MODE: MASTER
ENABLED: True
REPEAT: True
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP: 127.0.0.1
PORT: 54010
PASSPHRASE: Passw0rd
GROUP_HANGTIME: 5

[Parrot]
MODE: CLIENT
ENABLED: True
LOOSE: False
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54025
MASTER_IP: 127.0.0.1
MASTER_PORT: 54010
PASSPHRASE: Passw0rd
CALLSIGN: XXXXXX
RADIO_ID: 314882403
RX_FREQ: 449000000
TX_FREQ: 444000000
TX_POWER: 25
COLORCODE: 1
SLOTS: 1
LATITUDE: 38.0000
LONGITUDE: -095.0000
HEIGHT: 75
LOCATION: Houston,TX

Rob,
Since you already have confbridge running, I assume you have a rule for the TG you are going to assign to parrot. I think the parrot should be just a client. Try turning off the master and point the client at one of the masters in your confbridge. Think of it as a remote client. Also check your logging section and make sure the directory exists.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 07/03/2018 04:35 PM, rob297@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Removed MASTER in hblink.cfg for parrot.py config.  It will run with the PARROT client disabled.  But I still get the same error with the client enabled.  The instance of confbridge.py  I added a master PARROT listening on 54010. and added rule for talkgroup 9990 to PARROT.  Netstat shows new Master (PARROT) is listening on port 54010.  I know I am missing something simple.  Could I be missing some modules?

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

It’s something deep. The error you had indicates an internal class is being called incorrectly. This isn’t something an end-user can affect with configuration. I checked the current master and HB_Branches and see no issues.

I’d ask to make sure you’re on the master branch and up to date with it. If you can verify that and the problem persists, I will engage you on it – but we’ll need to take if off-list. We’ll be digging deep into the code and that’ll just be noise here.

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

KB5PBM

Made sure I am using master branch and re sync'd.  Same results.  My confbridge.py still work great!!

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Yep – when I added socket based reporting to the master branch, I forgot to update several of the sample applications… Will be fixed tomorrow.

On Jul 3, 2018, at 5:14 PM, KB5PBM <rob297@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Removed MASTER in hblink.cfg for parrot.py config.  It will run with the PARROT client disabled.  But I still get the same error with the client enabled.  The instance of confbridge.py  I added a master PARROT listening on 54010. and added rule for talkgroup 9990 to PARROT.  Netstat shows new Master (PARROT) is listening on port 54010.  I know I am missing something simple.  Could I be missing some modules?

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501
M: +1-785-865-7206

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

All apps fixed in the master branch…. no promises I didn’t miss something. Been up since way early, and there’s a kitten crawling all over me while I’m working tonight.

On Jul 3, 2018, at 3:35 PM, rob297@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

crickets…. is it ok now?

On Jul 3, 2018, at 9:52 PM, Cort N0MJS via Groups.Io <n0mjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Deleted and cloned master and still seeing same results.

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

exact same error? If so, can you just zip up your hblink directory and send it?

On Jul 5, 2018, at 12:02 PM, KB5PBM <rob297@...> wrote:

Deleted and cloned master and still seeing same results.

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501
M: +1-785-865-7206

KB5PBM

Its now working .. Thank you.

Jesse Neu

There is very little in the way of documentation on setting up parrot and it took me two weeks to figure out you have to run separate config files. I finally got it working on my master server and I thought I would share a short how to on getting it up and running.

Enjoy

Parrot Example

Parrot or Echo Test functions as a separate Master server. To set up Parrot on the same server as your current master you will need to either copy the HBlink directory to run a second instance or point hb_parrot.py to a secondary configuration file.

Configuring hblink.cfg

In your Configuration file called by hb_parrot.py you will need the following master configured

[Parrot-1]    #Can be anything you want, Naming in this file isn't important
MODE: MASTER
ENABLED: True
REPEAT: True
MAX_PEERS: 10
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54000    #Remember this port number, you'll need it later
PASSPHRASE: s3cr37w0rd    #You'll need this too
GROUP_HANGTIME: 5
USE_ACL: True
REG_ACL: DENY:1
SUB_ACL: DENY:1
TGID_TS1_ACL: PERMIT:ALL
TGID_TS2_ACL: PERMIT:ALL

In your primary configuration called by hb_confbridge.py you will need to have the following PEER configured

[Parrot-1]     #Can be anything you want, You'll need this later
MODE: PEER
ENABLED: True
LOOSE: False
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54001
MASTER_IP: 127.0.0.1    #loopback is fine if you are running both master and parrot on the same server
MASTER_PORT: 54000     #Same port as before
PASSPHRASE: s3cr37w0rd      #Must match password for our Parrot-1 Master above
CALLSIGN: W1ABC        #Your callsign
RADIO_ID: 312000    #Your RadioID
RX_FREQ: 449000000
TX_FREQ: 444000000
TX_POWER: 25
COLORCODE: 1
SLOTS: 1
LATITUDE: 38.0000
LONGITUDE: -095.0000
HEIGHT: 75
LOCATION: Anywhere, USA
USE_ACL: True
SUB_ACL: DENY:1
TGID_TS1_ACL: PERMIT:ALL
TGID_TS2_ACL: PERMIT:ALL

Now we need to conference them together. For simplicity I will only include the relevant block. Make sure the 'SYSTEM' matches both Master and Peer exactly, put them both in the same time slot and talk group.

    'ECHOTEST': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'MASTER-1',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 9998,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [8,10], 'RESET': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'PARROT-1',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 9998,   'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE', 'ON': [3,], 'OFF': [8,10], 'RESET': []},
        ],

Start hb_confbridge.py and parrot.py with their respective config files and everything should work!

Joshua Nulton

Thank you for sharing Jesse!