Allstarling.org Contact

David KG5RDF

Have sent a message via the allstarlink.org, but did not hear back. Does anyone know who I can talk to at Allstarlink.org about node registration dropping off the servers?

Thanks David

Mike KB8JNM

Well David,
Probably should join the app_rpt mail list but,

If I understand your issue
Your issue is a matter of registration from your system.

Look in your iax.conf and see that you have a line with correct password data like this....

register = 48396:9b3e98a6aacd1@...    ; This must be changed to your node number, password
                                                    ; remove the leading ";"

You may need to verify your password for type error by checking it against that stored at the node data at allstarlink.org

Once that is rx and logged, your IP connection data will go into the list spread to all nodes within about 20 minutes and show in the list of connectable nodes
at allstarlink.org

So, if you have verified that is correct,and still having a issue, let me know. And state the node number in question.

David KG5RDF

Mike,

(Off List)

Thanks, I will look for the list to join. We have several nodes. The issue we are having, is the Allstarlink.org servers forget about registered nodes in operation. This issue is happening across the allstar community. It just hit or miss, if your nodes gets effected. Yesterday, I had to abandon a node 47613, that has been in operation for registration/connection issues and use a different node number to get the repetear linked site back up. Having a successful ping of allstarlink.org does not indicate that you will be able to connect again. Most of our effected nodes, will come around after a few hours after a reboot.

I just want to make sure the right people are aware of this issue.

Thank you for the reply!

David KG5RDF
nctc.info
http://stats.allstarlink.org/getstatus.cgi?47115

Probably should join the app_rpt mail list but,

If I understand your issue
Your issue is a matter of registration from your system.

Look in your iax.conf and see that you have a line with correct password data like this....

register = 48396:9b3e98a6aacd1@...    ; This must be changed to your node number, password
                                                    ; remove the leading ";"

You may need to verify your password for type error by checking it against that stored at the node data at allstarlink.org

Once that is rx and logged, your IP connection data will go into the list spread to all nodes within about 20 minutes and show in the list of connectable nodes
at allstarlink.org

So, if you have verified that is correct,and still having a issue, let me know. And state the node number in question.

David KG5RDF

That did not work, sorry senior moment.

Probably should join the app_rpt mail list but,

If I understand your issue
Your issue is a matter of registration from your system.

Look in your iax.conf and see that you have a line with correct password data like this....

register = 48396:9b3e98a6aacd1@...    ; This must be changed to your node number, password
                                                    ; remove the leading ";"

You may need to verify your password for type error by checking it against that stored at the node data at allstarlink.org

Once that is rx and logged, your IP connection data will go into the list spread to all nodes within about 20 minutes and show in the list of connectable nodes
at allstarlink.org

So, if you have verified that is correct,and still having a issue, let me know. And state the node number in question.

Chris WB4ULK

You probably won’t like the reply IF you get one. I have had this issue as well and the reply I got was. “Get a mentor. “ lol

On 7/11/2018 8:03 AM, Chris WB4ULK via Groups.Io wrote:
You probably won’t like the reply IF you get one. I have had this issue as well and the reply I got was. “Get a mentor. “ lol
Don't expect the folks at ASL to hold your hand.  After all, this is a hobby, one that its creator recently passed away leaving a HUGE void to fill.  Some hams expect premium support for their free software, and then cop the attitude we see here when they don't get that.  Please understand that the folks at ASL have doing the best 'they' can - considering.  Let me explain...

When Jim Dixon died, the project of AllStarLink fell onto Jim's partner Steve RoDgers.  Steve hadn't been real active with ASL at the time Jim died because of his work.  At this time, the administration of ASL was the responsibility of Tim Sawyer.  There were several people that were immediately notified of Jim's death, and I was one of them.  I was asked by Steve RoDgers my opinion, and to help assemble people that would continue with the project.  I contacted Steve Zingman, and he agreed to take AllStarLink, and make it into a project of several people so (the organization) could survive the worst.  Steve did exactly that, and so AllStarLink Inc. was formed.  AllStarLink Inc. is a NON for profit entity whose goals are to insure the continuance of the project, with the vision and usefulness that Jim Dixon intended.  AllStarLink Inc. is currently four Board members and additionally two teams of folks, one for Admin, and one for developing and patching software (DEV). AllStarLink Inc., is responsible for many things, including but not limited to vetting licensed amateur radio operators and approving new ASL memberships, issuing ASL node numbers, paying hosting bills for dedicated servers which make the system accessible by its members/users, keeping said servers running, developing software, fixing bugs, adding new features, etc.

Whether you use XIPAR, HamVoip, or the official software of AllStarLink, every public user consumes resources of AllStarLink Inc.  Please understand it's not free to run AllStarlink, and donations of money and time from its users is greatly appreciated!

Are there things that could be done better - oh heck yea....   One of the things the Board members discussed this weekend is to revamp the website at allstarlink.org making it more user friendly.  Jim Dixon was a brilliant man, but there were things that were done that seemed to only make sense to him.  One of them is the fact that once you became a member, and logged into the ASL site, the links to the software downloads would magically disappear!  We have a laundry list of things that needs done, and we simply ask your patience as we recruit more helpers and work through the list.  So far it's been a full time job just keeping AllStarLink stable and reachable, let alone making improvements to its user interfaces and providing free support.

Kevin Custer W3KKC
Board Member
AllStarLink, Inc.

Chris WB4ULK

Kevin,

I'm sorry if I offended you with that light hearted comment. I can only imagine what work goes into keeping this thing up.

I was not looking for someone to hold my hand when I wrote an email asking what was going on with the registration server several months ago. I was writing asking about it because the registration server is completely out of my control. The answer I got back did not answer to my question, instead I was told to get a mentor.

I took this with a grain of salt and waited the issue out with nothing else said. What else could I do? The comment above was nothing more than a making light of the situation, as I figure with such a tremendous load on whomever is maintaining the system, you are not going to get great explanations sometimes.

Again, I am sorry that that offended you.

Chris
WB4ULK

Chris,

My explanation is not in defense of your comment, and I'm not offended.  While I don't remember seeing your post or the response to it, that isn't the answer you should have received.  As I indicated, there are plenty of things we need to address and make better, and everyone should expect that we'll do just that - over time.  Certainly there were instances in the past that our servers had some issues, but a while ago we purchased some new ones, and they've been running for some time - a few months now.  I have over 50 nodes publicly registered at ASL, so I know immediately when there are registration issues.  Since the upgrade, I've helped troubleshoot and resolve registration problems on several nodes, and none of them were because the ASL server networks were unstable or unreachable.  I haven't personally had any registration issues since the upgrade.

In closing, currently it's my recommendation that folks post their problems to the app_rpt email list.  It's the best place to get answers and resolve to issues pertaining to ASL.

Thanks,
Kevin W3KKC