locked Blocking users from a network and common sense.

Steve N4IRS

Robert,
I knew Ty was working on your server from day one. It did not bother me until the e-mail from him last night. I simply do not want to have anything to do with him in any way, shape or form. As to disrespecting you by not answering your e-mail, I have a personal e-mail address and a business e-mail address. I don't use the google address much so I don't check it as often. Every time you reported a issue with the P25 <-> DMR bridge I was providing, I fixed it.

I posted a simple statement of the facts from my perspective. Mitch assured me that the block was unintentional. I took him at his word. I was going to reconnect this morning but after Ty's e-mail That will not be happening.

This thread has run it's course. I am locking it. No further comments are needed.

Steve N4IRS

Robert Bretzman

Steve, Your comments are very disappointing and not what Amateur radio is all about. If you have a personal conflict with someone take it up with them. Just because Ty is helping us and you have your differences with him should be just that and not reflect on the TGIF group. I appreciated and showed it many time to you what you did for the TGIF group. Towards the end you became very disrespectful to me not even responding to my e-mail's just as you have not when I was first made aware of the banning mistake.  Sorry you feel this way about our group because of 1 single person. That is not what Amateur radio is all about. But that is your choice.
Good luck and God bless
73
Robert

Steve N4IRS

After assurances from 2 principle people involved in the TGIF network that I was not blocked intentionally, I was ready to let this drop and move on. That was until I received a rather nasty profane e-mail from the guy maintaining their server.
I'm no snowflake and if you talk to me off the radio, you know I use some pretty salty language. I have had a public run-in before with this guy and I will not have any need to connect to the TGIF network on any mode.

Steve N4IRS

Robert Bretzman

I assure that the blocking of Steve was not intentional. I appreciate everything Steve stands for and has done for the TGIF group. This is the first I have heard of this. Ty who does much of the work on our server from what little I know had to block certain IP's to try and troubleshoot issues we were having with the server. This is all way above my pay grade. I have been trying to get a hold of Ty with no luck. Our server is not working at the moment. As soon as I get a hold of him I will have that unblocked. Steve and anyone else is always welcome on the TGIF Network.
Sorry for any inconvenience or disruptions this has caused.
I will get it resolved..
73
Robert
TGIF ADMIN

Chris WB4ULK

That is a shame to see that. I hope it was a glitch. After all, that is what this stuff is all about. Un-fragmenting our networks.

Chris

On Oct 23, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

There has been some traffic lately about bridging modes to established Masters (Servers) and Talk Groups. Simply put, DO NOT just drop a bridge on any TG without checking first. I can understand wanting to listen to a active TG on some mode with your ASL node. I've done it for testing dozens of times. The key word here is LISTEN. Make sure there is no way you are transmitting into a active TG. Do not just drop a bridge from ANY mode to a TG without "permission" from the primary user or managing authority. When I'm testing a connection to BM DMR I use my DMRID (3112138) as the TG number. I can then be assured the only person I will bother is me. If you don't use a little simple common sense, it's a good bet you will receive a bunch of ugly e-mail and possible be banned from TG, server or network. THINK! Remember, DVSwitch has but a number of servers for testing. See the stickey on this sub group for login info.

While I'm on the subject of banning, There is a group that has started up a new "Network" That network is TGIF. They are using software from DVSwitch including HBlink to create the new network. I applaud the choice of SW. The interesting thing is I had been monitoring the new network on their Master tgif.network. My primary interest is to listen for problems and see if the problem could be solved withing the DVSwitch SW. I did not really care to talk there. I do not want ANYTHING to do with the politics of why they decided to build their own network. My interest is that I felt it was a good test of the SW in a real world environment.
Well, long story longer, my IP address has been blocked by tgif.network. All I had connected was a single HotSpot running Pi-Star. Some time last weekend the HS could no longer connect. I could not bring up the status page on my browser. I figured they were making changes, it is a new network after all and change is to be expected. On Monday I decided to ask others if they were having a problem connecting to tgif.network. The answer I got back was no problem. After testing from a different IP address I surmised my IP was blocked. Again, I do not want to get into the politics of the new network. I can understand blocking a user that caused problems or a user that did nothing but "bad mouth" a network. I don't think just listening to a TG on a Server applies here. I guarantee, the people running tgif.network know how to reach me if there was something wrong with my node. Since I provided the P25 to DMR bridge for them and they knew how to reach me if there was a problem.