Topics

Bridging a P25Reflector and a YSFReflector?

Mike, KI0IK

I have a working P25Reflector and a YSFReflector.  I would like to bridge the two together so if someone is connected to the P25Reflector they could talk to someone connected to the YSFReflector.  Which DVSwitch program would be best for this?  MMDVM_Bridge? I read through the Wiki, and searched the messages, but I'm drawing a blank.

Thanks
Mike

Alec-N1AJW

there's a ysf wide to p25 bridge made by Andy iin Chile.  Juribeparada. I have never tried that one.     https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_CM

Steve N4IRS

That is intended to be used on a hotspot or repeater.
For reflector to reflector, MMDVM_Bridge will do that quite simply. No transcode required.

Steve N4IRS

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of Alec-N1AJW <alec.wasserman@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2018 10:27:07 AM
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Bridging a P25Reflector and a YSFReflector?

there's a ysf wide to p25 bridge made by Andy iin Chile.  Juribeparada. I have never tried that one.     https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_CM

Mike, KI0IK

Thanks for the replies.  I'll give MMDVM_Bridge a go and see if I can get it working with my setup.  I'll checkout MMDVM_CM too.  

Thanks
Mike

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
That is intended to be used on a hotspot or repeater.
For reflector to reflector, MMDVM_Bridge will do that quite simply. No transcode required.

Steve N4IRS

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of Alec-N1AJW <alec.wasserman@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2018 10:27:07 AM
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Bridging a P25Reflector and a YSFReflector?

Mike, KI0IK

I've been working on bridging my P25Reflector and my YSFReflector together using MMDVM_Bridge for several days. I haven't been successful.  I'm familiar with Linux and have an instance of MMDVM_Bridge up and running.  I'm struggling with coming up with the right settings in the DVSwitch.ini and the MMDVM_Bridge.ini.  I must be missing something conceptually.  Using the DVSwitch test reflectors as an example, which stanzas would I change and what would the settings be?

p25reflector.dvswitch.org    Port = 43166  TG = 3166
ysfreflector.dvswitch.org     Port = 42166

Thanks
Mike

Steve N4IRS

Loop (TX to RX, RX to TX) the YSF and P25 ports in DVSwitch.ini
[P25]
Address = 127.0.0.1
TXPort = 34100
RXPort = 34103

[YSF]
Address = 127.0.0.1
TXPort = 34103
RXPort = 34100

Enable YSF and P25 in MMDVM_Bridge.ini
Setup Networking for both modes in MMDVM_Bridge.ini
[DMR]
Enable=1

[P25]
Enable=1

[System Fusion Network]
Enable=1
GatewayAddress=ysfreflector.dvswitch.org
GatewayPort=42166

[P25 Network]
Enable=1
GatewayAddress=127.0.0.1
GatewayPort=42020
LocalPort=32010

YSF points directly at the YSF reflector address and port
P25 requires P25Gateway. Set the Startup= to point at the P25 TG you want. If the P25Reflector you want is not in the P25Hosts.txt file. add it to the private host file.

Steve N4IRS

On 1/16/2019 2:04 PM, Mike, KI0IK wrote:
I've been working on bridging my P25Reflector and my YSFReflector together using MMDVM_Bridge for several days. I haven't been successful.  I'm familiar with Linux and have an instance of MMDVM_Bridge up and running.  I'm struggling with coming up with the right settings in the DVSwitch.ini and the MMDVM_Bridge.ini.  I must be missing something conceptually.  Using the DVSwitch test reflectors as an example, which stanzas would I change and what would the settings be?

p25reflector.dvswitch.org    Port = 43166  TG = 3166
ysfreflector.dvswitch.org     Port = 42166

Thanks
Mike

Mike, KI0IK

Steve

Thanks for the detailed response.  I'm excited to give it another shot this week. Hopefully I can get it up and running.  I really appreciate all the support you provide to the community. 

Thanks
Mike 

Mike, KI0IK

Quick update.  My MMDVM_Bridge is up and running!  Once I got it working on a RPi3+ I rebuilt it on an Azure VM.  Steve, thanks for creating the DVSwitch-Repo.  Really makes it a breeze to get the MMDVM_Bridge and P25Gateway installed.  I don't want to jinks myself, but everything seems to be working great. 

2E0ISK

Edited

Hi Steve,

I have tried to use this configuration, but users on the YSF bridge report that my callsign shows up as N4IRR. Audio is great for most radios however users of the FT-400 radios show me as transmitting but no audio is passed (metadata issue?).
Is this because of a possible configuration issue on my side or an issue you know of?

This is how everything is linked:
mmdvm(pi-star-hotspot)<>p25gateway(pi-star-hostspot)<>local-p25-reflector<>p25gateway<>mmdvm_bridge(looping from P25 - YSF reflector)

Steve N4IRS

Keith,
There is a bug in MMDVM_Bridge causing the issue. It is being worked on.

Steve N4IRS

On 3/16/19 5:19 PM, 2E0ISK wrote:
Hi Steve,

I have tried to use this configuration, but users on the YSF bridge report that my callsign shows up as N4IRR. Audio is great for most radios however users of the FT-400 radios show me as transmitting but no audio is passed (metadata issue?).
Is this because of a possible configuration issue on my side or an issue you know of?

This is how everything is linked:
mmdvm_bridge(pi-star-hotspot)<>p25gateway(pi-star-hostspot)<>local-p25-reflector<>p25gateway<>mmdvm_bridge(looping from P25 - YSF reflector)

2E0ISK

Thanks for confirming, Steve. Appreciate all the work you guys do with the software.

Keith, 2E0ISK

Jeff Scoville

Steve-- do you have to be running in VW mode on the YSFReflector side for it to be passed to the P25 Reflector side without analog conversion between?  I have a bridge set up as explained above, but I keep getting a message "got AMBE/DSAMBE (TAG=7) and expected IMBE (change to 88 bits).  No audio is coming out on the P25 Reflector side.

Thanks!

--Jeff AE5ME

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

Edited

Jeff,

Yes, if you are doing a "like mode" bridge (IMBE to IMBE or AMBE to AMBE) then you never have to go through an analog conversion.  But if the modes are different, there is no choice.

Now, the following is to all watching this thread:
There is a problem with YSF (it is a good kind of problem to have); the reflector accepts both YSFN (narrow) and YSFW (wide) transmissions.  When MB gets these streams, it does know the data type of the audio but it only has one "transmit" port that sends that stream to the other partner.  So, in the case of:
YSFW <--> P25 the ports should point at each other and no conversion needs to take place
YSFN <--> P25 the audio must be converted (transcoded) and needs to go through AB.

I am proposing adding a new transmit port definition to the DVSwitch.ini for YSFN and YSFW.  You would then be able to point the Wide ports at each other and the Narrow ports to a transcoder.  Also, note that this is only needed for YSFN -> P25 because a Fusion radio even in narrow mode can receive Wide transmissions, so the P25 -> YSFW will decode perfectly and does not need to be transcoded for the conversation to succeed.

So TXPort would be deprecated and TXPortN and TXPortW would be created for the [YSF] stanza

P25 -> YSFW would point the P25 TXPort at the YSF RXPort
YSFW -> P25 would point the YSF TXPortW at the P25 RXPort
YSFN -> P25 would point the YSF TXPortN at an AB transcoder (which would transcode AMBE to IMBE) and send it back to MB on the P25 RXPort

Thoughts?
Mike

Jeff Scoville

What are the choices for software AMBE and IMBE encoders/decoders? Preference is to run on an AWS cloud server, so hardware would be last choice.

--Jeff AE5ME

Scott Martin

On 4/5/19 10:45 PM, Jeff Scoville via Groups.Io wrote:
What are the choices for software AMBE and IMBE encoders/decoders? Preference is to run on an AWS cloud server, so hardware would be last choice.

--Jeff AE5ME
This is about the only one I know of, good luck!

https://github.com/f4exb/dsdcc

--
Be well,
Scott

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

Steve N4IRS

With Analog_Bridge you have the following software only choices, in order of quality:
IMBE: OP25 IMBE Vocoder built-in
AMBE: md380-emu, OP25 AMBE Vocoder built-in

On 4/5/19 11:45 PM, Jeff Scoville via Groups.Io wrote:

--Jeff AE5ME

Jeff Scoville

To use the built-in encoder, just comment out the references to the DV3000 hardware and tell it to fallback to software decoder?

Like this?

General vocoder setup information

decoderFallBack = true                  ; Allow software AMBE decoding if a hardware decoder is not found

useEmulator = true                     ; Use the MD380 AMBE emulator for AMBE72 (DMR/YSFN/NXDN)

emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2472        ; IP address and port of the server

;   There are two configuration modes: IP (AMBEServer) and serial (direct connect hardware)

;   Use top server and port if using AMBEServer

;   Use bottom server/port and serial = true if using the DV3000u (thumbdv)

;   Did you run AMBETest4.py before using this?

[DV3000]

; server = 127.0.0.1                    ; IP address of AMBEServer

; port = 2460                           ; Port of AMBEServer

;server = /dev/ttyUSB0                 ; Device of DV3000U on this machine

;port = 460800                         ; Baud rate of the dongle

;serial = true                         ; Use serial (DV3000U) or IP

Steve N4IRS

Jeff,
Are you trying to Bridge YSF Wide to P25? If so, you will not need Analog_Bridge at all.

On 4/6/19 7:30 AM, Jeff Scoville via Groups.Io wrote:
To use the built-in encoder, just comment out the references to the DV3000 hardware and tell it to fallback to software decoder?

Like this?

General vocoder setup information

decoderFallBack = true                  ; Allow software AMBE decoding if a hardware decoder is not found

useEmulator = true                     ; Use the MD380 AMBE emulator for AMBE72 (DMR/YSFN/NXDN)

emulatorAddress = 127.0.0.1:2472        ; IP address and port of the server

;   There are two configuration modes: IP (AMBEServer) and serial (direct connect hardware)

;   Use top server and port if using AMBEServer

;   Use bottom server/port and serial = true if using the DV3000u (thumbdv)

;   Did you run AMBETest4.py before using this?

[DV3000]

; server = 127.0.0.1                    ; IP address of AMBEServer

; port = 2460                           ; Port of AMBEServer

;server = /dev/ttyUSB0                 ; Device of DV3000U on this machine

;port = 460800                         ; Baud rate of the dongle

;serial = true                         ; Use serial (DV3000U) or IP

Alec-N1AJW

that's an excellent idea.   Love it.  cant wait to see it work.   Thanks.

Alec
N1AJW

2E0ISK

This sounds like a great solution. I am assuming this would mean only one instance of MB would be required (as with straight VW) but it would also handle YSFN pipe it via the transcoder and back in?