Bridging to other modes and networks. (BrandMeister, D-Star, etc) #best_practices

Mike KB8JNM

Corey,

Don't take this the wrong way but,

Is there some place these 'best practices / rules' are printed ?

Something I can read and point others to and link to on the web.

I say that since I hear a lot of things I know are dead wrong, many things I am not sure of and then I here this from you on alt modes on state TG's that is new to me.

And most of us do not know what the true authoritative answers are for rules and best practices. Many are obvious to some but not all. And I don't like being surprised by them after the fact as I am sure others feel the same way.

 I will help spread the word. I am sure nobody wants to operate in a undesirable way, but we do need to know what that is.

...mike/kb8jnm

On 11/16/2018 8:21 PM, Corey Dean N3FE wrote:
Please do NOT link to a state talkgroup!  One of the deals with cbridge owners is not crosslinking other modes onto statewide talkgroups, unless of course you want to see them start disconnecting their links!

Corey n3fe

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 4:42 PM Neil k8it <k8it@...> wrote:
running half duplex no emphasis using default settings for node 1999 but I have tunned my private  node which I can make public if needed.. I also can provide ssh login if needed off list
what audio params should I play with, and is the best way to do it.
currently on t/g 3126

Thanks
73 Neil Sablatzky  K8IT
Allstar Node 41838 KITLINK

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] ASL to DMR Bridge...audiuo quality

How are you connected to the receiver? Pre-emphasised or de-emphasised? Are you running simplex or duplex? If duplex how does the audio sound out the analog transmitter? If simplex, is it a public node that can connect to another node for a audio report?
If all that is good, look at your audio levels from analog to digital.

Steve N4IRS

On 11/16/18 4:02 PM, Neil k8it wrote:
I got the analog bridge to work now. I am now trying to improve the audio quality of the audio sent to DMR.
I correctly am using USBRADIO for my private Allstar node with audio that sounds very compressed.
Would I be better off to switch to SIMPLEUSB?
Is there any tricks to getting more audio bandwidth?

Thanks
73 Neil Sablatzky  K8IT
Allstar Node 41838 KITLINK

KB5PBM

Well on the allstar side ulaw codec is probably your best bet to use.  Since you really cant control that across the network makes it hard.  Another issue is when a station on the analog side starts to get white noise it sounds really bad on the conversion to dmr codec.  I have 4 nodes from allstar on my small network and I keep them private due to the codec and noise issue and the other big killer is delay.  Adding the delay makes it difficult and the conversation goes south.  In my opinion if all networks are aware and ok with it then do it.  But if not keep it private.

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

I try to keep the USA portion of the wiki updated with this.  This is a lot of work. We have always requested they use their dmr id as the talkgroup.

I know I have posted about this somewhere.  I will see if I can pull it up or at least get the wiki updated.

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 4:09 PM

How are you connected to the receiver? Pre-emphasised or de-emphasised? Are you running simplex or duplex? If duplex how does the audio sound out the analog transmitter? If simplex, is it a public node that can connect to another node for a audio report?
If all that is good, look at your audio levels from analog to digital.

Steve N4IRS

On 11/16/18 4:02 PM, Neil k8it wrote:
I got the analog bridge to work now. I am now trying to improve the audio quality of the audio sent to DMR.
I correctly am using USBRADIO for my private Allstar node with audio that sounds very compressed.
Would I be better off to switch to SIMPLEUSB?
Is there any tricks to getting more audio bandwidth?

Thanks
73 Neil Sablatzky  K8IT
Allstar Node 41838 KITLINK

Steve N4IRS

I have started a new topic so that we can discuss the things that people should be aware of BEFORE dropping a bridge into a network. I will move a couple of messages into this topic and mark it sticky.

Steve N4IRS

Chris WB4ULK

Never connect one network to another network.
Always be aware what you are connected to before making another connection.

You look like a clown when you connect to my network and you brought the entire UK with you.