AllStarLink/ASL-Install

Manuel Díaz

Hi.
Who knows why I get this error when I give option 5 of the asl-menu?
I have the system installed in a raspberry pi 3B

Steve KC1AWV

If you exit back to the terminal and run asterisk -rvvv does the asterisk cli come up?

- Steve KC1AWV

Steve KC1AWV

Long story short, if running the command asterisk -rvvv on the terminal works, this is the reason why.

The asl-menu script looks for the asterisk executable in /usr/sbin. If your instance of asterisk is installed or located elsewhere, you will need to change line 68 in the asl-menu script to reflect the correct location of the executable. So, for instance, if it's located in /usr/local/sbin the line should be changed to ASTERISK=/usr/local/sbin/asterisk. To find where the executable is, you can run which asterisk on the terminal to show where the file is located in your PATH.

Of course, flashing the maintained image for the RPi onto your card would work too, and I've had no issues running a mobile ASL node from it.

- Steve KC1AWV

Manuel Díaz

so I have it and it gives me the error 5

Steve KC1AWV

I assume that with the graphical interface being used, you installed ASL on top of an existing Linux install? If I recall correctly, the ASL image is based on ALArm, not Debian/Raspbian.

When running the asl-menu script, are you elevating to superuser by using sudo asl-menu?

Manuel Díaz

I am using a raspberry pi B + with the raspbian Stretch installed.
if I throw the command like:
asl-menu (error5)
sudo asl.menu (error5)

Mike KB8JNM

Funny,

I went looking at my install. I don't use the asl-menu, but it is not installed on my Pi.

So, I went to the PC and took a look at the asl-menu shell script.

5 is the menu item for ast cmd line

do_asl_cli() {
echo "do_asl_cli" >> $logfile
clear
$ASTERISK -rvvv        <--------------------------------
}

This needs to be changed to lower case.

$asterisk -rvvv

...mike/kb8jnm

On 12/12/2018 6:25 AM, ea3eiz@... wrote:
I am using a raspberry pi B + with the raspbian Stretch installed.
if I throw the command like:
asl-menu (error5)
sudo asl.menu (error5)

Steve KC1AWV

Mike,

The $ASTERISK is a variable set earlier in the script, on line 68. The do_asterisk_cli takes that variable and makes it into a full line that the shell expects. The variable in this case allows for the asterisk executable to be placed anywhere on the system, and each time the variable is called the shell will replace the variable name with the actual value. Since the asterisk program is called in many functions in the script, creating a variable makes it easier to change one line rather than many in the script, in case the location of the program changes.

So line 68 creates the variable:

ASTERISK=/usr/sbin/asterisk

which turns $ASTERISK -rvvv into

/usr/sbin/asterisk -rvvv

in do_asterisk_cli

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Mike KB8JNM

Very good Stephen,

I should have taken my time and looked at it all and not looked for the short answer.

As I said, I don't use the asl-menu,

but I guess I should find out why it's not  in /usr/loacal/sbin or /usr/sbin/  on my Pi when I get a chance.

The best fix would be to come back at this with a new instance of putty and just run the commands from there.

Makes little sense to run the menu to run a command. But, No harm.

...mike/kb8jnm

On 12/12/2018 10:05 AM, Stephen Miller wrote:
[...]

And I just realized we're talking capitalization... in Manuel's situation his screenshot shows the variable is uppercase, and should remain that way in the do_asterisk_cli function.

Steve KC1AWV

Agreed, the initial diagnosis is to run the asterisk cli from the shell outside the script, and see what the error is. There's a log file that is called when running asl-menu in /tmp/asl-menu.log which might hold a clue too.

Steve KC1AWV

After taking an initial look at the Pi in question, I've noticed that the dahdi pseudo device is not loading, preventing asterisk from starting. lsmod shows no dahdi module installed. The /etc/modules file does show that the module is listed.

dpkg-reconfigure for the dahdi module completes, but there is no module to be loaded.

Mike KB8JNM

It probably was installed/updated without the hold on kernel headers.

...mike/kb8jnm

On 12/12/2018 12:49 PM, Stephen Miller wrote:
After taking an initial look at the Pi in question, I've noticed that the dahdi pseudo device is not loading, preventing asterisk from starting. lsmod shows no dahdi module installed. The /etc/modules file does show that the module is listed.

dpkg-reconfigure for the dahdi module completes, but there is no module to be loaded.

Pierre Martel

Did you used the raspberry pi image from the wiki???

Cause with this image and the readme I was able to do a node in half an hour using usbradio and another hour to make allmon2 work as I wished.

I would really advise you to use both the readme and image file to rebuild from scratch. It will surely be faster then trying to fix your installation. Then when it works. Back up the sd card image. Then if you wish to install a desktop just do it as a normal command line raspbian.

Le mer. 12 déc. 2018 12:49 p.m., Stephen Miller <smiller@...> a écrit :
After taking an initial look at the Pi in question, I've noticed that the dahdi pseudo device is not loading, preventing asterisk from starting. lsmod shows no dahdi module installed. The /etc/modules file does show that the module is listed.

dpkg-reconfigure for the dahdi module completes, but there is no module to be loaded.

Steve KC1AWV

It looks like Manuel is making a system of his own design, including all the digital and analog networking systems into one device. While his implementation is a custom one, a lot of the ideas are solid and should be compatible. The install of ASL onto the Pi with other software shouldn't be an issue, just need to be aware that a custom setup like that will have some issues that will need to be worked out before moving the system from alpha to a beta.

Putting the kernel headers on hold might be a little late for that, since the kernel version that was on the Pi was one that looked newer, I think. The DKMS build flashed by faster than I would have liked. Which kernel runs on the Pi image?

Mike KB8JNM

uname -r

4.9.80-v7+
Is what I have

What happens with newer kernel is you loose sound support which dahdi needs to compile right.

Not sure what for him to do but the fastest way to the end is to start over with the asl pi stretch image and hold the kernel before updating as the readme states.

http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/Raspberry_Pi/Stretch/ASL_1.01-20180228-armhf-raspbian-stretch-image.readme

http://dvswitch.org/files/ASL_Images/Raspberry_Pi/Stretch/

http://enhanced.github.io/2018/08/ASL_With_ALSA

...mike/kb8jnm

On 12/12/2018 2:21 PM, Stephen Miller wrote:
It looks like Manuel is making a system of his own design, including all the digital and analog networking systems into one device. While his implementation is a custom one, a lot of the ideas are solid and should be compatible. The install of ASL onto the Pi with other software shouldn't be an issue, just need to be aware that a custom setup like that will have some issues that will need to be worked out before moving the system from alpha to a beta.

Putting the kernel headers on hold might be a little late for that, since the kernel version that was on the Pi was one that looked newer, I think. The DKMS build flashed by faster than I would have liked. Which kernel runs on the Pi image?

Pierre Martel

You are right, he is pulling a specific design. The center part of his design is ASL, and it is the most complicated part to run, when ASL run in a stable way. then he should build on that..

fixing ASL need some pretty specific know how. and if he updated the kernels he will have some problem as the latest kernel dont have the needed module to run ASL without some addon. recompilation of the kernels and so on...

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Le mer. 12 déc. 2018 à 14:21, Stephen Miller <smiller@...> a écrit :
It looks like Manuel is making a system of his own design, including all the digital and analog networking systems into one device. While his implementation is a custom one, a lot of the ideas are solid and should be compatible. The install of ASL onto the Pi with other software shouldn't be an issue, just need to be aware that a custom setup like that will have some issues that will need to be worked out before moving the system from alpha to a beta.

Putting the kernel headers on hold might be a little late for that, since the kernel version that was on the Pi was one that looked newer, I think. The DKMS build flashed by faster than I would have liked. Which kernel runs on the Pi image?

Steve KC1AWV

Oh boy, yeah I think the version that's on there was at least 4.14, I think I may have seen 4.17 in there too.

Manuel,

The root cause of asl-menu option 5 not working is that the asterisk service on your Pi is not running.
Diagnosing the cause of asterisk not running showed there was a timeout waiting for "dev-dahdi-pseudo"
The reason for the timeout is that there is supposed to be a dahdi kernel module that loads at boot time, which is not loading.
The module requires an older version of the kernel on the Pi (4.9) because newer kernels do not have sound support, which dahdi needs in order to compile correctly.
The kernel version that I remember seeing installed was at least 4.14.

I agree with Mike KB8JNM, your best bet would be to start over with a new install of Raspbian Stretch, with kernel 4.9. Make sure to follow the directions included with the ASL image, which will prevent Raspbian from upgrading your kernel to an incompatible version.

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-kernel-headers raspberrypi-kernel
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo reboot

I would start your OS buildout with Allstar first and make sure that works, then add in the other software you want after.

- Steve KC1AWV

JJ Cummings

I disagree with rebuilding and with holding the kernel unless there is a good reason to do so.

The only reason to hold the kernel back is if you need to use a URI to interface with a radio.. other wise it's just a dahdi kernel module issue so why not compile from source which is already located on the box since you installed from the repo... then reboot and boom you are running with the latest kernel...

the source will be located under /usr/src/asl-dahdi-linux-2.11.1/

go into that directory as root and type "make install" - as long as this is successful reboot and you will be set with regard to dahdi.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM Stephen Miller <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

The known good instructions from N4IRS state to hold the Raspbian kernel, and from a previous post in this thread it has to do with sound modules that may or may not be present in newer Raspbian kernels, which looks like a dependency for dahdi to compile correctly with DKMS.

Were you able to get ASL installed and configured with a newer Raspbian kernel?

I could be off target there, and think N4IRS could weigh in and edify.