What to use?

janipewter@...

Hi all. I have just discovered hblink while researching how to set up my own repeater network. I haven't been able to find a great amount of documentation and there seems to be an almighty amount of different tools without much explanation as to what does what. So far I have successfully set up a hblink master server and connected two MMDVM repeaters to it. Eventually I hope to build a smal network of MMDVM and Motorola (IPSC) DMR repeaters. I'm not interested in having a billion talk groups and bridges to other networks etc. We will just have a bunch of repeaters with a local channel and a network channel on each repeater. The network channel I wish to go out on all repeaters, the local channels will be local to each repeater.

So my question is what do I use? I don't have a Motorola repeater here to test at the moment. Will a Motorola repeater connect directly to the hblink master or is some other bridge necessary?

Thanks

Steve N4IRS

Hi,
You will need to build a small bridge to add a IPSC repeater to your HBlink network. it will look like this:
Mororola Repeater <-> IPSC_Bridge <-> HB_Bridge <-> Your HBlink server

You will need the 2 branches:
https://github.com/n0mjs710/DMRlink/tree/IPSC_Bridge
https://github.com/n0mjs710/HBlink/tree/HB_Bridge

You can put all the files in the same directory. Build from the outside in. That way you can see the traffic flow as you add a program.
Configure hblink.cfg to login to your server as a client
Configure dmrlink as a master for your repeater
Configure HB_Bridge.cfg and IPSC_Bridge.cfg to talk to each other. (cross UDP ports)
Start HB_Bridge.py You should see it login to your HB server
Start IPSC_Bridge.py You should see your Motorola Repeater login to it.
If you have the HB_Bridge.cfg and IPSC_Bridge.cfg correct, you should see traffic flow.

While building, run everything in the foreground so that you can watch the logs in real time.
Make sure you see the traffic before moving on.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 12/28/2018 2:37 PM, janipewter@... wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the reply. I'm still a bit confused about all these different modules and what they do. I assume I can run HBLink, HB Bridge and IPSC Bridge on the same server, correct?

>>Configure hblink.cfg to login to your server as a client

Please clarify this part also.

Thanks again.

PS. how can I get notified of a reply to this thread? I'm new to groups.io and its use is not intuitive.

Corey Dean N3FE <n3fe@...>

Yes they can all run on the same server.    You might just need to use different port numbers so there are no conflicts.

There is an example right in the config near the bottom that shows how you connect as a client.

Corey n3fe