P25 Reflector

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Hi All,

   I might just be brain dead and I may not be posting this to the right group and can’t find what I am looking for, but does anyone know of a good walkthrough for setting up a P25 reflector?

   Thanks,

     Jeff

Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH

E-mail: kc8qch@...

Hamshack Hotline: 4218

Webmaster

Hamilton County ARPSC

http://www.hamcoarpsc.org

E-mail: hamcoarpsc@...

Phone: 513-452-6480

Allstar 47374 Administrator

World Wide Amateur Radio Guild

http://www.theguildglobal.org

E-Mail: kc8qch@...

Steve N4IRS

Jeff,
Are you looking for information on configuring a P25Reflector or are you trying to install from scratch?
You can compile the code from github or install by apt-get. What OS are you planning to install on?

Steve N4IRS

On 1/12/19 12:31 AM, Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH wrote:

Hi All,

   I might just be brain dead and I may not be posting this to the right group and can’t find what I am looking for, but does anyone know of a good walkthrough for setting up a P25 reflector?

   Thanks,

     Jeff

Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH

E-mail: kc8qch@...

Hamshack Hotline: 4218

Webmaster

Hamilton County ARPSC

http://www.hamcoarpsc.org

E-mail: hamcoarpsc@...

Phone: 513-452-6480

Allstar 47374 Administrator

World Wide Amateur Radio Guild

http://www.theguildglobal.org

E-Mail: kc8qch@...

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Hi Steve,

I’m trying to install from scratch. I cloned the github code and kind of followed the same steps as YSF Reflector and compiled the code and it seems to run. But I am still trying to figure out how to set the talkgroup (I want to use a unique one) and connect it to MMDVM Brdige eventually but I want to get the reflector working first and then go there. I’ve tried also installing P25 Relfector dashboard and it doesn’t show what I expect even after modifying the config.php file so that makes me think that the reflecotor is not working right.

[...]

OK. Here is what I think you are looking for. The Reflector does not have anything to do with the TG number. It simply reflects any data sent to it by P25Gateway on the UDP port number.
This is from P25Hosts.txt used by the gateway:

# North America, 1020x
10200 dvswitch.org  41000
10201 dvswitch.org  41010

When P25Gateway receives traffic from MMDVMHost (for a HS or MMDVM Reepater) or from MMDVM_Bridge (Quantar or bridge) it sends the traffic to the IP (or FQDN) and port defined in the file.
If you sent TG 12345 to dvswitch.org on port number 41000 it would reflect that TG to every other Gateway connected.

Hope this helps.
Steve N4IRS

On 1/12/19 9:21 AM, Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH wrote:

[...]

Followup on the dashboard.
The P25Reflector Dasboard simply "watches" the P25Reflector log and parses the log file into a pretty web page. Pay attention to the reflector log.

[...]

Steve,

Ah ok that makes sense. I see what you are saying there. Then maybe I com confused on how the P25 Reflector system Works. One of the other groups I am with has t a talkgroup setup on P25 and has the reflector setup. How are things being directed to that reflector?

[...]

it works exactly the same way.
When P25Gateway receives traffic from MMDVMHost it sends the traffic to the IP (or FQDN) and port defined in the gateway host file.

On 1/12/19 2:20 PM, Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH wrote:

[...]

OH I get it. When you transmit the TG into the system the P25hosts file tells the gateway were to send it on the network and that “receiving” gateway is what then handles the data on that end….DOH! Sorry…sometimes I need to be hit in the head with a rock. Thanks for being patient with me….

[...]

I couldn't figure out how to set up a dashboard for a P25 reflector I made?

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019, 1:36 PM Jeff Lehman, KC8QCH <kc8qch@... wrote:

[...]

Mike, KI0IK

KV4S

I setup a P25Reflector-Dashboard the other day.  I installed the YSFReflector-Dashboard and then updated the install with the files on N4IRS's P25Reflector-Dashbord repo.  I've been running it for a couple days.  Seems to be working fine.  Feel free to contact me off the list if you're having specific issues.

Oren K5LPD <ohaydel@...>

Has anyone made a walk-through on configuring and setting up a P25 Reflector?  I thought I had a better handle on this, but it is kicking my butt.  I have cloned the P25Clients repository, and can look at the P25Gateway.ini file but I really have no clue on what to setup and how.  When I try to run ./P25Gateway it says it cannot read the .ini file.  Can anyone help with a copy of their config files?  Also how to run the programs.  For a standalone P25 Reflector, am I only needing P25Reflector and P25Gateway?  I obtained another DMR repeater ID as I was told I needed one.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have read the documentation for DVSwitch, but it appears to start above my experience level.

Thanks,
Oren K5LPD

Steve N4IRS

Oren,
You do not need P25Gateway to run a reflector. Compile P25Reflector. copy the P25Reflector program and P25Reflector.ini file to another directory. I put everything in /opt so create /opt/P25Reflector and copy the files in.
Edit P25Reflector.ini and set Daemon=0
You can now run the reflector with ./P25Reflector P25Reflector.ini

Once you have that working you will need to add the reflector to each of your CLIENT computers in the P25Hosts.txt file. Again this is on the client. Pi-Star has a different procedure.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 1/29/2019 12:24 PM, Oren K5LPD wrote:
Has anyone made a walk-through on configuring and setting up a P25 Reflector?  I thought I had a better handle on this, but it is kicking my butt.  I have cloned the P25Clients repository, and can look at the P25Gateway.ini file but I really have no clue on what to setup and how.  When I try to run ./P25Gateway it says it cannot read the .ini file.  Can anyone help with a copy of their config files?  Also how to run the programs.  For a standalone P25 Reflector, am I only needing P25Reflector and P25Gateway?  I obtained another DMR repeater ID as I was told I needed one.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have read the documentation for DVSwitch, but it appears to start above my experience level.

Thanks,
Oren K5LPD

Oren K5LPD <ohaydel@...>

Ok Steve, I am getting somewhere.  When I attempt to run ./P25Reflector P25Reflector.ini I get an error message stating:
P25Gateway: unable to open the log file

Not sure why it is referencing the Gateway?  Let me ask you this, what is the correct procedure to compile the P25Reflector?  After I navigated to the directory I believe I ran ./make or something similar.  Did I do that right?

Also, is there somewhere where I need to enter my Callsign etc?

Thanks for the help.

Oren

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 11:38 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

That is interesting. I never say that. I think it's a screwup in the program.
If you are running the reflector installed by apt-get install p25reflector the log directory is /var/log/mmdvm. You can verify by looking in P25Reflector.ini
To compile the program from source the command is make not ./make.

Steve

On 1/29/2019 3:41 PM, Oren K5LPD wrote:
[...]

you may need to make the mmdvm account owner like this:
sudo mkdir /var/log/P25Reflector
sudo chown mmdvm /var/log/P25Reflector

depending on where your log files write.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:42 PM Oren K5LPD <ohaydel@...> wrote:
[...]

That is not how I installed it.  So I removed everything that I installed, and re-installed using apt-get p25reflector.

Now, it looks like the reflector has started.  I do get an error though:

ohaydel@ubuntu:~/opt/P25Reflector$ sudo ./P25Reflector P25Reflector.ini
I: 2019-01-29 21:31:07.278 Opening P25 network connection
W: 2019-01-29 21:31:07.278 Cannot open the Id lookup file - DMRIds.dat
M: 2019-01-29 21:31:07.278 Starting P25Reflector-20161101
I: 2019-01-29 21:31:07.279 Started the DMR Id lookup reload thread

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:45 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

Which release of Linux are you installing the reflector on?  At the terminal prompt type "lsb_release -a".  What's the output?

Oren K5LPD <ohaydel@...>

Mike,

ohaydel@ubuntu:~/opt/P25Reflector$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

I am running the headless version.

Oren

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 3:59 PM Mike, KI0IK <stupidfatkid@...> wrote:
Which release of Linux are you installing the reflector on?  At the terminal prompt type "lsb_release -a".  What's the output?

Steve N4IRS

Check where the file is pointed to in P25Reflector.ini

If the path does not exist create it.

get the file from

wget https://github.com/g4klx/P25Clients/raw/master/P25Reflector/DMRIds.dat

it's old but it will get you started.

On 1/29/19 4:34 PM, Oren K5LPD wrote:
[...]

Try restarting the P25Reflector.  I think I remember getting that error the first time I ran it too.  Probably because the file didn't exist yet.