DMR vs DSTAR

Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...>

Hi,
I want to bridge DMR to an XLX module, I understand that I can use the DVSwitch tools and MMDVM_Bridge. I have to create 2 instances of MMDVM_Bridge but I don't understand how connect to a specific module of XLX one instance of MMDVM_Bridge.
Anyone ca help me to better understand?
thank's

73 de IT9CDU

JJ Cummings

Please see my reply in the HBLink section of DVSwitch

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:57 AM Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...> wrote:
Hi,
I want to bridge DMR to an XLX module, I understand that I can use the DVSwitch tools and MMDVM_Bridge. I have to create 2 instances of MMDVM_Bridge but I don't understand how connect to a specific module of XLX one instance of MMDVM_Bridge.
Anyone ca help me to better understand?
thank's

73 de IT9CDU

Steve KC1AWV

If you are connecting to XLX, I used DMRGateway as well as MMDVM_Bridge. In DMRGateway.ini, you can set the XLX Network stanza similar to this:

[XLX Network]
Enabled=1
File=/var/lib/mmdvm/XLXHosts.txt
Port=62030
Password=passw0rd
ReloadTime=60
Slot=2
TG=6
Base=64000
Startup=740
Relink=60
Debug=0
Id=
UserControl=1
Module=B

Of course, use your own DMR ID on the Id= line. Set MMDVM_Bridge to send its audio to DMRGateway.

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve KC1AWV

Sorry, I forgot to mention that also set the Startup line for the XLX Reflector you are connecting to, In my case I want to connect to XLX740, so it's set to Startup=740. Then, simply change the module line to the module you want to connect to.

Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...>

Thank's Steve,
XLX connection is ok now. Can you give me an example how to "Set MMDVM_Bridge to send its audio to DMRGateway" ?

tnx

Il giorno lun 14 gen 2019 alle ore 19:03 Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> ha scritto:
[...]

The connection between MMDVM_Bridge to DMRGateway here is like this:

---
MMDVM_Bridge.ini

[DMR Network]
Enable=1
Address=127.0.0.1
Port=62031
Jitter=360
Local=62032
Password=passw0rd
Slot1=1
Slot2=1
Debug=0

---
DMRGateway.ini

[General]
Timeout=10
# RFTimeout=10
# NetTimeout=7
RptAddress=127.0.0.1
RptPort=62032
LocalAddress=127.0.0.1
LocalPort=62031
RuleTrace=0
Daemon=0
Debug=0

I assume you're running both programs on the same machine, so all addresses will be loopback.

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 1:49 PM Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...> wrote:
[...]

OK Steve,
now all the connections seems to work, but, no audio pass from dstar to dmr .... the transmission is MUTE. Maybe I need some AMBE codec to install ?

Il giorno lun 14 gen 2019 alle ore 19:58 Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> ha scritto:
[...]

In my case, I run ambed on a server at home, separate from my XLX server that's in a data center. The ambed service (included with xlxd) runs the transcoding for D-Star <-> DMR for the XLX server. In order to achieve transcoding, some DV3000 dongles are attached to the ambed server.

This setup is a bit more advanced/customized, since I have services running on separate servers. Also, we're talking more along the lines of xlxd now, which is out of scope for the DVSwitch group.

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 4:04 PM Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...> wrote:
[...]

Ok, so I need necessarily some hardware for transcode DMR--->Dstar and viceversa?

Il giorno lun 14 gen 2019 alle ore 22:33 Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> ha scritto:
[...]

Pierre Martel

Yes dmr is AMBE while Dstar is IMBE

Le lun. 14 janv. 2019 à 16:37, Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...> a écrit :
[...]

Correct. The reason is that there does not exist a good open software codec to transcode D-Star (AMBE) and DMR (AMBE2+) as far as I know. So, some sort of AMBE hardware chip, like the DV3000, is used instead.

For example, I run two NW Digital ThumbDV dongles in my ambed server to transcode D-Star <-> DMR. I haven't used YSF (AMBE2+) or P25 (IMBE) but the idea may be the same, just would need more dongles to transcode more streams on the same module.

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 4:37 PM Vincenzo Salamone <it9cdu@...> wrote:
[...]

I think that md380-emu, as I noted before, (included in the DVSwitch package install) will do this, that's what we are using...

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

JJ -
I've tried doing something similar on xlxd with md380-emu, but the issue I ran into was that ambed looks for a hardware device(s) for transcoding, and the startup for xlxd looks for an ambed service running to perform transcoding. I was unable to fit md380-emu in there.

Unless there's another path or setup that I'm overlooking that ignores ambed, which I would be really interested in.

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 4:50 PM JJ Cummings <cummingsj@...> wrote:
[...]

You are correct, I think that you have to use the DV3000... too many transcode projects right now and I mixed them up lol... though to be fair I have not tried it with md380emu

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:58 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

No worries, but you did give me an idea! I'll whip up a couple tests and see what I can think of to try and transcode sans-DV3000.

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM JJ Cummings <cummingsj@...> wrote:
[...]

philippe st-cyr

I look that tonight

Le lun. 14 janv. 2019 5:03 p.m., JJ Cummings <cummingsj@...> a écrit :
[...]

Steve N4IRS

Uh, no P25 is IMBE

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

Matt Ames

Actually, DMR is AMBE2+ while DSTAR is AMBE.

The only protocol that uses IMBE is P25 Phase 1.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 08:45, Pierre Martel <petem001@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Clay <Mclay2005@...>

Speaking of P25, does anyone have a Cisco router configuration file for networking a Quantar repeater?
Thanks

Mike AC5XV

Steve N4IRS

My 1841 is here <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Quantar-Bridge/topic/router_config/23325590?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,23325590>
There are also a couple in the wiki in the Quantar_Bridge sub group