Topics

ircddbgateway install command line only

Skyler Fennell

I am currently in the process of ASL <--> DSTAR.

I've been pulling my hair out this weekend attempting to install ircDDBGateway as part of the bridge. I have no GUI available on my server, and don't want to run the extra resources to put a desktop environment on it.

I have grabbed the source code from the following github link:

I then used these instructions to compile:

Including the configure without using GUI followed by make and make install.
./configure --without-gui
make
make install

After this, I have performed a deep search on the system attempting to find the config files and what to run, however, I am unable to find anything except programs complaining that I need to have a display.

root@stn3764:/# /usr/local/bin/ircddbgatewayconfig
11:13:09: Error: Unable to initialize GTK+, is DISPLAY set properly?

I have searched the whole system for any plain text file with the keywords ircddbgateway that looks like a config file, but have not found anything.

Does anybody here have any suggestions on running ircddbgateway on a server with NO GUI?

Thank You
Skyler KG0SKY

Mike KB8JNM

Yet one more piece of software to install.
It is found on github as well.
https://github.com/g4klx/ircDDBGateway

On 2/3/2019 1:15 PM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
I am currently in the process of ASL <--> DSTAR.
I've been pulling my hair out this weekend attempting to install
ircDDBGateway as part of the bridge. I have no GUI available on my server,
and don't want to run the extra resources to put a desktop environment on
it.
I have grabbed the source code from the following github link:
https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV.git
I then used these instructions to compile:
https://g0wfv.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/how-to-install-ircddb-gateway-from-latest-source-code/
Including the configure without using GUI followed by make and make
install.
./configure --without-gui
make
make install
After this, I have performed a deep search on the system attempting to find
the config files and what to run, however, I am unable to find anything
except programs complaining that I need to have a display.
root@stn3764:/# /usr/local/bin/ircddbgatewayconfig
11:13:09: Error: Unable to initialize GTK+, is DISPLAY set properly?
I have searched the whole system for any plain text file with the keywords
ircddbgateway that looks like a config file, but have not found anything.
Does anybody here have any suggestions on running ircddbgateway on a server
with NO GUI?
Thank You
Skyler KG0SKY

Steve N4IRS

Skyler,
Here is template you can use
<http://dvswitch.org/files/HAM/ircddbgateway>

Depending on the parameters ircddbgatewayd will look in /etc/opendv.
Be aware G4KLX has been updating his own github directory for ircDDBGateway.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 2/3/19 1:15 PM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
[...]

I missed the original issue by not seeing enough of the email for some reason.

I could not get mine installed for the lack of ability to install wxwidgets.
Seems like a massive install requirement for a little install.
Not sure why, but wxwidgets will not compile for me so I put it aside.

TG9AOR

Hello. If you compiled from DL5DI's repository it is then possible to run without GUI by running the command ./ircddbgatewayd

You will need to configure it beforehand, this is done by running ./ircddbgw_config or ./ircddbgw_cfg (if my memory serves me right) this allows for you to configure it via the terminal.

Hope this helps. 73
--
José Roberto Ruíz García Salas
TG9AOR

Skyler Fennell

Thank you everyone. I got it working with ircddbgatewayd compiled from the better source you provided.

My main issue was not having an example conf file, weird they don’t ship the package with one.

Thanks to the group for sending that conf file.

P.s. DSTAR Audio seems to be YUCK using analog_bridge op25 on the Analog—> digital. Very bassy and cuts out on low level, are there any adjustments or EQ? Maybe there is some usrp EQ program.  I probably need to get a USB dv dongle, but I really wish everything could run at the same vm server...

Skyler

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 7:32 AM TG9AOR <qrz@...> wrote:
Hello. If you compiled from DL5DI's repository it is then possible to run without GUI by running the command ./ircddbgatewayd

You will need to configure it beforehand, this is done by running ./ircddbgw_config or ./ircddbgw_cfg (if my memory serves me right) this allows for you to configure it via the terminal.

Hope this helps. 73
--
José Roberto Ruíz García Salas
TG9AOR

Steve N4IRS

For decent D-Star audio you must have the Hardware Vocoder. Period.!

Sent via smoke signal (AT&T)

[...]

kb3cs

just built and installed https://github.com/g4klx/ircDDBGateway on a Ubuntu 19.10 box. it went smoothly.

beware the file debian/ircddbgatewayd.ircddbgatewayd.service as it has "ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ircddbgatewayd" and the daemon gets installed in /usr/bin.

there also is "User=opendv" which means the user account need to be created manually, since the install scripts do not create the user or edit the line if you want to run the daemon using an existing regular user account instead.

  - 4d (base 15) -

va3dxv

Hello I realize it may be off topic for this group but... How are you getting ircddbgateway to compile with no X/GUI environment?

I do have wxwidgets base installed. I've tried the latest source direct from g4klx and also the old dl5di/opendv fork. In both cases the compile gets about half done then fails and complains as soon as it gets to compiling stuff in GUICommon.

The configure script for the dl4di fork completes without error using --without-gui, but when I compile it, I get the same errors that I get with the g4klx code. I don't understand why it would even try to build the GUICommon stuff

Am I missing something? Thank You

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/repeater/ircDDBGateway/ircDDBGateway'
make -C GUICommon
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/repeater/ircDDBGateway/GUICommon'
g++ -O2 -Wall -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/wx/include/base-unicode-3.0 -I/usr/include/wx-3.0 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -pthread -DLOG_DIR='"/var/log"' -DCONF_DIR='"/etc"' -DDATA_DIR='"/usr/share/ircddbgateway"' -g -D_DEBUG -I../Common -c -o AddressTextCtrl.o AddressTextCtrl.cpp
In file included from AddressTextCtrl.h:24:0,
                 from AddressTextCtrl.cpp:19:
RestrictedTextCtrl.h:24:47: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
 class CRestrictedTextCtrl : public wxTextCtrl {
                                               ^
Makefile:13: recipe for target 'AddressTextCtrl.o' failed

Steve N4IRS

I build the G4LKX repo with:
apt-get install libwxbase3.0-dev
make
I have built on arm and intel/amd.

Steve N4IRS

On 6/1/2020 2:28 PM, va3dxv wrote:

[...]

Thank you Steve, yep that's what I've been doing here too. libwxbase3.0-dev is installed. Building on rasbian 4.9.8

the previous posted output was of the g4lkx compile. this is of dl5di's, failing at the same file :(

GUICommon/AddressTextCtrl.cpp:21:111: error: ‘wxSize’ does not name a type
 w* parent, int id, const wxString& value, const wxPoint& pos, const wxSize& size, long style) :
                                                                     ^~~~~~
Makefile:2788: recipe for target 'GUICommon/libGUICommon_a-AddressTextCtrl.o' failed
make: *** [GUICommon/libGUICommon_a-AddressTextCtrl.o] Error 1