Topics

Which base image to use with DV Switch: Allstar or HamVoIP

David Ranch

Hello Everyone,

Along with my previous post about a week ago, I'm about to start setting up an Analog to DMR bridge with DV-Switch and an Allstar system but the question is via which image:

   Official Allstar or HamVoIP

I have one knowledgeable Asterisk HAM saying HamVoIP's newest image is significantly updated compared to the Asterisk image, etc.  That group is deprecating their support for the BeagleBoneBlack and are recommending to go with the Raspberry Pi SBC.  That's ok in my book but are there any known issues with running the posted DVSwitch binaries on that Arch Linux based system?  I can rebuild any/all required programs if required though it sure would be easier if the DVSwitch team have their own Arch-based repo for getting updates, etc.

--David
KI6ZHD

JJ Cummings

I’d go with vanilla raspbian, it’s what I use without any issues.

Sent from the iRoad

On Mar 10, 2019, at 10:42, David Ranch <dvswitch-groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

The HamVoIP image has some very nice Ncurses-based configuration tools which might be a bummer to loose.  I don't know if those are from the HamVoIP guys or if they inherited them from the Allstar people.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 03/10/2019 09:45 AM, JJ Cummings wrote:
[...]

They won’t really help you at all with DVSwitch things though, that’s all gonna be editor of your choice...

Sent from the iRoad

On Mar 10, 2019, at 15:34, David Ranch <dvswitch-groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve N4IRS

There are no known issues running the DVSwith binaries on the HAMVOIP image. I have way too much on my plate for me to learn to build a repository for a distribution I do not use.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 3/10/19 12:42 PM, David Ranch wrote:
[...]

Hey Steve,

If I create a step by step guide for you and/or a script to do this, would you be willing to package and host the resulting Arch repos?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 03/10/2019 02:08 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
[...]

David McGough

Hi David,

I'm in the process of packaging this now for Arch. I would welcome your
help/input. I expect a preliminary package in the next few days, probably
this weekend.

73, David KB4FXC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, David Ranch wrote:

[...]

Igor Videc

David,

have you made any progress with this ?

73
Igor 9A6NVI

David McGough

Hi,

Yes, I've got a alpha pre-release test package now. This weekend I'm
verifying that nothing is "badly broken." I expect a preliminary release
announcement this weekend.

73, David KB4FXC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, Igor Videc wrote:

David,

have you made any progress with this ?

73
Igor 9A6NVI

Mike WG5EEK

David, did you get this running?  I want to add a DMR bridge to my HamVoIP install but ran into obviously issues with dependencies.

Mike

Brad N8PC

yes it works. I have DMR bridge on hamvoip image. check out 314651 dmr tg allstar 45743or echolink 275408

Brad N8PC

On 1/26/2020 2:22 PM, Mike WG5EEK wrote:
David, did you get this running?  I want to add a DMR bridge to my HamVoIP install but ran into obviously issues with dependencies.

Mike

Patrick Perdue

I'm not as familiar with the conventions of Arch Linux as I am with Debian. Did you install from a package (I think there is one in the HamVoIP repository,) or did you put everything in place and manually implement the init scripts?

I don't have an immediate need to run DVSwitch on my HamVoIP nodes, but I've gotten questions about it recently from some who do.

On 1/26/2020 2:51 PM, Brad N8PC wrote:
yes it works. I have DMR bridge on hamvoip image. check out 314651 dmr tg allstar 45743or echolink 275408

Brad N8PC

On 1/26/2020 2:22 PM, Mike WG5EEK wrote:
David, did you get this running?  I want to add a DMR bridge to my HamVoIP install but ran into obviously issues with dependencies.

Mike

David Ranch

Hello Mike,

Yes, I got it working.

I went with the HamVoIP v1.5 image ( which is a fork of Allstar's Raspberry Pi image) which uses the Arch Linux distribution.  The HamVoIP release evidently has several fixes in it regarding audio delays, etc. that the the official Allstar images do NOT have.  The challenge I found with the HamVoIP image is not well integrated with modern SystemD-based Linux OSes and the binaries for the DV-Switch stuff seems to lag from what N4IRS publishes at https://github.com/DVSwitch.  I submitted several changes to the HamVoIP developers to improve that SystemD integration but regardless saying they would add them in, I don't think they ever did.  I will admit it was some time ago and I need to look again.  I'm happy to send these patches to others who might be interested in them.

There is also a user-created DV-Switch image which i uses Raspbian (better support on Raspberry Pi, is more SystemD integrated, etc:

   http://ea5gvk-dmr.zigor.es/2019/12/17/v-5-imagen-dvswitch-y-hblink-blasmakers-bautizada-dvlink-llega-para-quedarse/

That web site is Spanish centric, a bit hard to find the details, etc. but it might work for you.

Anyway,  what I ultimately did was follow this doc and started with the software AMBE support:

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eN50Csr29eAprBu7eKA0Bfa2XUcsXw5iktY1Ey-Qjkg/edit

I later switched over to a hardware AMBE device made by NW-Digitial and that worked fine as well.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 01/26/2020 11:22 AM, Mike WG5EEK wrote:
David, did you get this running?  I want to add a DMR bridge to my HamVoIP install but ran into obviously issues with dependencies.

Mike

JJ Cummings

I’d suggest submitting patches to the actual ASL project, much more likely to be added in and you’ll also get credit for your contributions.

Sent from the iRoad