BM to XLX via MMDVM_Bridge - Doc version 2.0

Bryan Jackson

Hi Steve did you ever update the doc ?  Looking at implement this solution whilst waiting for DM to create the XLX interlink.   Basically I want to connect XLX070A to BM TG2345974.   Any suggested configs or alternative methods of achieving this ?   My eventual aim is to also include Echolink so looking and adding a Allstarlink server (which will run on seprate server on same LAN) into the equation later with an MMDVM_Bridge hooking into XLX070A.

Also to add to the equation I currently have running on the same server another ysfreflector GB COVARS that uses YSF2DMR to currently connect GB COVARS to BM TG2345974.

So current setup is
GB COVARS (YSFreflector) -> YSF2DMR -> BM TG2345974 with XLX070 running on same server with no connections.
Plan is to do this to keep GB COVARS so following this arrangment on server 1
GB COVARS (YSFreflector) -> YSF2DMR -> XLX070A -> MB-XLX -> MB-BM -> BM TG2345974
And on server 2
ECHOLINK -> Allstarlink -> md380emu - > MB - XLX070A(which runs on server 1)
Is this config possible? Can this all be ran on one server or would it be better to keep them separate ?

Jamie R. Cid <jay@...>

Hello,

Does this require dongles for transcoding? I ask as I get perfect audio from DMR to DSTAR without them but no audio from DSTAR to DMR.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n17cx_9elLJoMmcQWM0_XOm2dicKdIC6ar_0S16904A

Thanks!!

Steve KC1AWV

That's a good question, and one that I will have to test tonight.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019, 10:01 AM Patrick Perdue <patrick@...> wrote:
Wouldn't I need DMRGateway for the TG rewrite, or is that possible with
MB? If it is, I didn't see a directive for that in the INI file.

Patrick Perdue

Wouldn't I need DMRGateway for the TG rewrite, or is that possible with MB? If it is, I didn't see a directive for that in the INI file.

Kevin Halton

Months

On Jul 13, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Patrick Perdue <patrick@perdue.audio> wrote:

I have already done that, but as others have stated, that might take a while.

Patrick Perdue

I have already done that, but as others have stated, that might take a while.

Steve KC1AWV

DMRGateway still exists. It's a separate project outside DVSwitch.

I need to make a new document, now that MB has been updated and issues have been fixed. I'll work on it tonight.

Steve KC1AWV

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019, 8:19 AM Doug - W4DBG <douggooden@...> wrote:
If you have an XLX Reflector that has Transcoder Hardware just ask Brandmeister for an Interlink.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM Patrick Perdue <patrick@...> wrote:
I'm a bit confused here.
I have set up XLXD for DSTAR, and I want to bridge this to a Brandmeister talk group. I tried doing this just with ambed, XLXD and MMDVM_Bridge with a static Brandmeister talk group set up in the dashboard. I saw activity from MMDVM_Bridge show up on the console from the talk group, but it never made it to the reflector. I think I broke something there. Then I found this guide. However, DMRGateway doesn't seem to be in DVSwitch anymore, unless I'm missing something obvious, which is entirely possible. I found a post from November 2018 stating that DMRGateway no longer exists, yet the first draft of this doc was written in February 2019.
So, what exactly is the state of DMRGateway?

--
Doug Gooden
troytrojan@...

Doug - W4DBG

[...]

XLX TO MB TO MB TO BM
OR
XLX TO DMRGATEWAY TO MB TO MB TO BM

Must use latest binary for MB
Look back a few messages regarding connecting ysf reflectors . On how to connect  two MB together.
Use Dmr ports instead of ysf.

Patrick Perdue

I'm a bit confused here.
I have set up XLXD for DSTAR, and I want to bridge this to a Brandmeister talk group. I tried doing this just with ambed, XLXD and MMDVM_Bridge with a static Brandmeister talk group set up in the dashboard. I saw activity from MMDVM_Bridge show up on the console from the talk group, but it never made it to the reflector. I think I broke something there. Then I found this guide. However, DMRGateway doesn't seem to be in DVSwitch anymore, unless I'm missing something obvious, which is entirely possible. I found a post from November 2018 stating that DMRGateway no longer exists, yet the first draft of this doc was written in February 2019.
So, what exactly is the state of DMRGateway?

K4VL

Thanks Steve

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 11:14 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
Does this create a bridge to DSTAR?
No. This document is to connect an XLX module to a Brandmeister Talkgroup. Brandmeister is a DMR network.

Should I build another Allstar node to add this to or could I do this on my current DMR bridge?
I don't know how your current bridge is configured. You're also discussing two different modes. D-Star and DMR are dissimilar modes, where D-Star is IMBE and DMR is AMBE. If the intention is to bridge a DMR network to D-Star, you will need to do some transcoding, which is out of scope for this document.

That being said, no you don't necessarily have to build another ASL node. You can run a second bridge for D-Star from the ASL node you currently have. A basic overview would be this:

D-Star <-> ASL <-> DMR

That setup will give you the following:

  • D-Star to Analog via ASL
  • D-Star to DMR using ASL to transcode
  • Analog to D-Star via ASL
  • Analog to DMR via ASL
  • DMR to Analog via ASL
  • DMR to D-Star using ASL to transcode
--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve KC1AWV

[...]

I have a couple of questions about this. Does this create a bridge to DSTAR? I have a DMR bridge running now and linking to my server through Allstar. Should I build another Allstar node to add this to or could I do this on my current DMR bridge? I would be nice to have everything including my repeater running on one Pi but I will do what I need to do. My repeater controller is a Hamvoip build and my DMR bridge is an ASL build.

Steve KC1AWV

Special thanks to Eric Dayrit and Doug Gooden for assistance in helping me refine this doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n17cx_9elLJoMmcQWM0_XOm2dicKdIC6ar_0S16904A

Revision 2.0 is a rewrite of the original document I created.
This revision is for showing how to use DMRGateway's TGRewrite function to allow the use of the "standard" XLX Talkgroup 6 and send that data to a BM Talkgroup of your choice, and vice versa.

The end result of the doc is this:

XLX***D <-> DMRGateway_XLX <-> MMDVM_Bridge_XLX <-> MMDVM_Bridge_BM <-> DMRGateway_BM <-> BM TG****

Two DMRGateways are needed, since the TGRewrite function is only provided by DMRGateway.

I'll try to format the doc a little better for viewing pleasure, but all the information that is needed should be there.

Steve KC1AWV