Just Moved server from Digital Ocean and now server won't run

N9UMJ

I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

Steve N4IRS

What does not run?

On 6/16/19 12:03 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

Mike KB8JNM

What OS and kernel version ?

On 6/16/2019 12:03 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

N9UMJ

Hi Steve

Mainly the YSF Reflector, Everything else is pointed to Brandmeister for transcoding to our 31188 talkgroup.
It was originally setup for me by Alec N1AJW , But Alec has other irons in the fire now an commited to those prjects.
I need to get it running off of Digital Ocean so Brandmeister will accept my feed.

My utimate goal wthis fall when my work load slows down is to place it on our own server at a fiber hub and do all of our transcoding and routing through DV_Switch, as for now I have very limited time with work and travel, I just need to make it usable again at the new VPS until time allows, I'm also very interested in the DV mobile but that wil also be later when time allows.

I enjoyed talking to you at Hamvention,I found it very enlightening and exciting with all of the new features and looking forward to dedicating my time to learn more later this year

Rick n9umj

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:04 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
What does not run?

On 6/16/19 12:03 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

N9UMJ

Hi Mike

Ubuntu 18.04

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

What OS and kernel version ?

On 6/16/2019 12:03 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

Mike KB8JNM

Not sure if there is anything specific to Ubuntu but Just a thought... Your packaging might be missing something needed. Someone else may be able to chime in on that.

What does it say when you type   '  uname -r   ' from cmd line ?

Not familiar with Dig Oc but

Did you use one of their stock images ?  or - Can/did you load your own iso ?

On 6/16/2019 7:40 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
Hi Mike

Ubuntu 18.04

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

What OS and kernel version ?

On 6/16/2019 12:03 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
I just moved all of the DvSwitch files and server configurations away from Digital Ocean to a new VPS and can't get it to run, All of the ports have been configut=red on the firewall as the working version of DO, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on what it might be or would be will to take a look see and see if I may have missed something

Thanks
Rick n9umj

N9UMJ

Hi Mike

I'm running Ubintu 18.04 on both Digital Ocean and Hostwinds VPS, Wanting to leave Dig O, I've moved all of the files from Dig O with rsync and setup the files the same on both instances. The config files are the same only moved to the new location.
The firewall rules are identical on both vps sites. , everything seems to be identical, I've made the changes on the ysf registry to reflect the new ip address and even turned off the droplet on dig Ocean to not create a conflict between the 2 servers, but still not able to get ysf reflector to run on dvswitch from the new server, I've contacted support at hostwinds and they tell me it's nothing to do with the my iso.and firewall setup and traffic should be passed.
Not sure what I'm missing here ? But I'm sure if must be something simple??
Since the instance on digital Ocean still works when I turn it back on???

Still comparing files , but it was almost  a copy and paste to the new vps. I even downloaded a new fresh image of DWswitch and installed the working files to the new install and kept the original as a backup?? Neither will work!

Still open for suggestions or another set of eyes to see what's been missed or changed.

Thanks
Rick n9umj

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019, 9:04 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

[...]

did you rsync the entire OS ?

On 6/16/2019 9:21 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

Rick,
Let's start with the basics, what services/servers are you trying to run?

Steve

[...]

BTW,
What is a "fresh image of DWswitch" ?

[...]

No just the files for dvswitch and Apache2 server, I downloaded the dvswitch build that steve had posted and copied to the new build.

It is identical as the DO server unless there is some files elsewhere that need to be pulled and installed??

Rick

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019, 10:10 AM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

[...]

Re-check permissions and ownership of all ysf ref files . mainly a config file. But look at all.

I'm guessing just the ysf reflector is the only non-working from what you said. So, did you start the service ? and/or Restart and tail the logs.

If you are still stuck, try a 're-install' of ysf reflector and watch for errors.

But I would always be suspicious of a custom linux header on a VPS from their stock images being some issue.

On 6/17/2019 1:26 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

uname-r could not be found

Please fill me in on what I need to correct this and what would cause this issue?

Thanks
Rick

[...]

I recovered uname -r with sudo apt-get --reinstall install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Now it shows 4.15.0-15 generic for uname-r

[...]

uname <space> -r   http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man2/uname.2.html

Compare the 2 servers.

On 6/17/2019 10:28 PM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

oops  meant DVSwitch,
The uname -r are the same on both VPS DO and Hostwinds.

I'll try a reinstall of YSF reflector

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:29 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

I tried to reload the YSFReflecor and can't get it to reinstall over whats already there.

Analog_Bridge  NXDNClients  P25Clients  Quantar_Bridge  YSFParrot
DMRGateway     NXDNGateway  P25Gateway  YSFClients      md380-emu
MMDVM_Bridge   NXDNParrot   P25Parrot   YSFGateway      opt
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt# sudo chown mmdvm /var/log/YSFReflector
chown: cannot access '/var/log/YSFReflector': No such file or directory
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt# cd YSFClients
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients# ls
LICENCE    YSFClients      YSFGateway  YSFReflector
README.md  YSFClients.sln  YSFParrot
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients# cd YSFReflector
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo nano YSFreflector.ini
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# udo nano YSFReflector.ini

root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo nano YSFReflector.ini
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo useradd mmdvm -g mmdvm -s /                                                                             sbin/nologin
useradd: user 'mmdvm' already exists
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector# sudo chown mmdvm /var/log/YSFRef                                                                             lector
chown: cannot access '/var/log/YSFReflector': No such file or directory
root@hwsrv-499225:/opt/YSFClients/YSFReflector#

What Think??

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:52 PM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/uname.1.html

[...]

Show me YSFReflector.ini & your YSFReflector.sh  contents

and  does"  /var/run/YSFReflector.pid  "  exist ?

what is returned when you run  YSFReflector restart ?

On 6/18/2019 1:47 AM, N9UMJ wrote:
[...]

Steve KC1AWV

It looks to me that you're having procedural problems, and not issues with the programs themselves. You've got folders missing apparently. Here's the important part of what you've sent over:

chown: cannot access '/var/log/YSFReflector': No such file or directory

Make sure the directory exists first before changing owner. mkdir -p /var/log/YSFReflector

Also, it looks like you're already logged in as root, so no need to use sudo on those commands.

While I'm sure nobody here really minds providing help where it's needed, we're getting into support of an operating system, and programs that are not specifically part of DVSwitch. Remember, the support for the DVSwitch programs that this group is intended for are the ones that are maintained in the DVSwitch github repo. All other support is a courtesy.

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV