Topics

DSTAR to DMR, getting started

Patrick Perdue

Hello all:

I have been tasked with creating a cross-link between an XLX reflector for DSTAR and a Brandmeister DMR talk group.

I have installed XLXD, ircDdbgateway and DVSwitch on a VPS. Ambed with two vocoders is running on a Debian machine at my house, verified connected to XLXD.

As I understand it, the route should look like this:

D-Star <---> ircddbgateway <---> MMDVM_Bridge <---. Analog_Bridge <---> Analog_Bridge <---> MMDVM_Bridge <---> DMR

I have all these tools installed. I'm just looking for a basic outline on how to configure the two instances of MMDVM_Bridge and Analog_Bridge for this type of link. For that matter, I'm not sure if I have configured ircDdbgateway correctly, using a configuration template and ircDdbgatewayd, but I suppose that's technically out of the scope of this group.

I found a guide for bridging P25 to DMR, but haven't come across a good resource for doing the same between DSTAR and DMR.

I hate to be that guy that re-invents the wheel, but I'm just looking for a good starting-point.

Thanks for any help.

733

de

KE4DYI

Steve KC1AWV

If you're transcoding on XLX already, you can use MB as a client to connect to Brandmeister. You don't need to go from DStar to Analog to Analog to DMR, you're over engineering the effort.

Steve KC1AWV

Steve KC1AWV

This is how I would do it:

Brandmeister TG <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> XLX <-> ambed

Patrick Perdue

Thanks. That is a typical problem I have, over engineering things. I’ll try this.

On Jul 12, 2019, at 13:00, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

This is how I would do it:

Brandmeister TG <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> XLX <-> ambed

XlX will connect directly to a TG on BM or IPSC2 via interlink.

Patrick Perdue

I'm trying to figure out how this works... Does this require someone at Brandmeister to configure an interlink once the XLX reflector is up and running? The page found here isn't particularly clear about this, at least to me.

https://wiki.brandmeister.network/index.php/XLX

Meanwhile, I have successfully gotten MMDVM_Bridge connected to Brandmeister, though I have yet to configure a static talk group on the Brandmeister dashboard for the "hotspot."
That should get DMR audio to DSTAR, but how does audio go the other way?

On 7/12/2019 2:40 PM, Ernest Pratt wrote:
XlX will connect directly to a TG on BM or IPSC2 via interlink.

Steve KC1AWV

You need to open a helpdesk ticket with Brandmeister support. You have to give them the requested information, like TG, Module, IP Address and such.

Be patient, my interlink request is still waiting for approval since February.

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Skyler Fennell

Contact a brandmeister server host admin directly. I don't think they even look at the support page requests anymore, I had one in for months and finally got it resolved when I contacted Corey N3FE. Somehow when I put my ticket on the US support website, they said it ended up on the UK ticket system.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:38 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
[...]

Ben Fogt

Curious, is there a reason for having MMDVM_Bridge sit between BM and XLX?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
This is how I would do it:

Brandmeister TG <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> XLX <-> ambed

--
Ben Fogt
N5AMD

Steve KC1AWV

Expedient connection to BM if you don't have an OB link set up. Sometimes users just want to connect on demand, or they're testing. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Steve KC1AWV