From: Neil k8it
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:17 PM
To: main@dvswitch.groups.io
Subject: [DVSwitch] RF to RF bridge

Is there a way to make a RF to RF bridge without using the internet to crossmode between DMR and YSF? Can I link two PiStar setups locally without suffering internet latency ? Is it possible to use some other hardware to pull this off? Using the internet delays of up 8 seconds have been found. This makes the internet unreliable. The DMR side would be in my hamshack while the YSF side is reachable on very low power RF. This would save the needs to buy multiple radios for one YSF repeater.

73 Neil k8it

Steve KC1AWV

If I am reading this right, I think what Neil is describing is a way for a DMR radio to talk with a Fusion radio, without needing to go to a reflector or other network. It's an interesting thought experiment, and here's what I think.

Pi-Star to Pi-Star, probably not. Pi-Star is designed from the ground up to talk to existing networks, and from what I've seen there's no 'easy' way of making two Pi-Star hotspots talk to each other in that fashion. Even going from mode to mode on Pi-Star (say, DMR radio to a YSF reflector) uses the MMDVM_CM tools, if I recall correctly.

Openspot has a hotspot-to-hotspot mode, but I believe it's limited to only passing same-mode traffic, like DMR to DMR. Having not done this myself, this is limited to speculation.

If you've got two Pi-Star hotspots already, you could have both of them connect to a central 'server' locally, running something like HBlink3. Connect one as a DMR hotspot to the HBlink master and the other hotspot as a DMR2YSF hotspot to the HBlink master. Kind of like this:

Pi-Star (DMR) <-> HBlink3 Master (Local) <-> Pi-Star (DMR2YSF)

This kind of setup I would consider an 'advanced' configuration, but I think it could work.

Going back on what Steve N4IRS said, where are you experiencing up to an 8 second delay on the Internet? Unless you're using dial-up or you're on the furthest reaches of a DSL line, I can't say I've seen latency that high in a long time.

Steve KC1AWV

Neil k8it

They just insulted a YSF wires x node called MICONNECT about one quarter mile away from me. Both my wife and I have DMR radios. When I tryed to use a hotspot the internet delays ranged from 5 to 8 seconds. This makes having a QSO convection almost impossible. Nobody waits that long between transmissions. You are lucky to get 5 seconds. What I want to do is to avoid the internet latency and create a RF to RF bridge. I know that these times were confirmed by others using hotspots. I also know that PiStar and the Openspot can crossmode. How can I do this without suffering the internet delays? The YSF repeater is least than a quarter mile away, and I want to have a local DMR connection in my hamshack. How do I do this?
73 Neil k8it

On Jul 30, 2019, at 2:14 PM, Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve N4IRS

We just installed a WiresX <-> DMR <-> YSF bridge here in FL and we have no delay. Don't know what to tell ya. But I'm kinda new at this.
Only thing I can suggest is a back to back radio connection. Take the recovered audio from the DMR Radio and feed the Yaesu radio transmitter and vice versa.
I don't how you would do the COS/PTT

Steve N4IRS

On 7/30/2019 3:24 PM, Neil k8it wrote:
[...]

I run a Dmr repeater and   Wires-x Gateway from my location.
its possible for me to talk back and forth without going out on the internet.
I have also P25, NXDN  and Teamspeak Connected.
Most of the work can be done on one Pc running Debian but  I have several Pc's PI's etc.
Use  XLX  as your Dmr repeater.
A GM340 radio with MMDVM Board to XLX to Openspot.
There are  lots of different options.
Via Internet I have Zello, Peanut ,Dmr and Wiresx.

I use dvswitch  to go from ysf to P25., and Dmr to Dmr.
Never had an 8 second delay going out on the internet. A couple of seconds is about normal.

Neil k8it

Ernest
Can you please send me your contact information off list to
I have lots of questions and are willing to call you to decuss.
73 Neil k8it

On Jul 30, 2019, at 6:25 PM, Ernest Pratt <erniepratt@...> wrote:

I run a Dmr repeater and   Wires-x Gateway from my location.
its possible for me to talk back and forth without going out on the internet.
I have also P25, NXDN  and Teamspeak Connected.
Most of the work can be done on one Pc running Debian but  I have several Pc's PI's etc.
Use  XLX  as your Dmr repeater.
A GM340 radio with MMDVM Board to XLX to Openspot.
There are  lots of different options.
Via Internet I have Zello, Peanut ,Dmr and Wiresx.

I use dvswitch  to go from ysf to P25., and Dmr to Dmr.
Never had an 8 second delay going out on the internet. A couple of seconds is about normal.

Steve N4IRS

This could be done with out the internet on a single host. From waht I understand the Yaesu repeater is far enough away so that a low power hot spot will not make the distance. This does not require any internet connection.

DMR User radio <-> Low power hotspot <-> MMDVMHost <-> HBlink <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> YSFReflector <-> MMDVMHost <-> Hi power hotspot <-> Yaesu repeater

As I said, all of this can be done on one host. It can also be split up amongst multiple hosts. If multiple hosts you can use Pi-Star the far ends.