Bridging to multiple Brandmeister Talkgroups HBLink

Skyler Fennell

I have a need to bridge in another DMR brandmeister talk-group into an HBLink DMR server. This is to connect a Colorado repeater network to a weather net, and I have permission on both talk-groups. I hope this isn't against BM's terms of service, I would like an answer anyways just for educational purposes because I will eventually do this between TGIF and BM in the future once I have permission from TGIF.

GOAL:
TALKGROUP_2_BRANDMEISTER  <---->  TALKGROUP_1_HBLINK  <----> TALKGROUP_1_BRANDMEISTER

On my HBLink.cfg, I have created 3 stanzas. MASTER1, REPEATER1, and REPEATER2.
Repeater 1 and Repeater 2 are both connected to the brandmeister network using a different local port and DMR ID.

HBLINK.CFG Important STANZAS:

[MASTER-1]

MODE: MASTER

ENABLED: True

REPEAT: True

MAX_PEERS: 10

EXPORT_AMBE: False

IP:

PORT: 62030

PASSPHRASE: passw0rd

GROUP_HANGTIME: 0

#This was set to 5

USE_ACL: True

REG_ACL: DENY:1

SUB_ACL: DENY:1

TGID_TS1_ACL: PERMIT:ALL

TGID_TS2_ACL: PERMIT:ALL

[REPEATER-1]

MODE: PEER

ENABLED: True

LOOSE: False

EXPORT_AMBE: False

IP:

PORT: 54009

MASTER_IP: 64.94.238.196

MASTER_PORT: 62031

PASSPHRASE: passw0rd

CALLSIGN: W0SKY

RADIO_ID: my_id_02

COLORCODE: 1

SLOTS: 3

GROUP_HANGTIME: 0

(omitted the rest of the not importatn stuff)

[REPEATER-2]

MODE: PEER

ENABLED: True

LOOSE: False

EXPORT_AMBE: False

IP:

PORT: 54008

MASTER_IP: 64.94.238.196

MASTER_PORT: 62031

PASSPHRASE: passw0rd

CALLSIGN: W0SKY

RADIO_ID: my_id_03

COLORCODE: 1

SLOTS: 3

GROUP_HANGTIME: 0

(omitted the rest of the not importatn stuff)

RULES.PY. I've tried it both ways, but either way it will ONLY bridge to ONE Talkgroup, it will not chose both:

First Attempt:

BRIDGES = {

    'TEST': [

            {'SYSTEM': 'MASTER-1',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_1_HBLINK,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

            {'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER-1',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_1_BRANDMEISTER, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

           {'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER-2',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_2_BRANDMEISTER, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

        ]

Audio only routes between TALKGROUP_1_HBLINK and one of the brandmeister talkgroups, not both. Trying each one individually works fine.

Second Attempt:

BRIDGES = {

    'TEST': [

            {'SYSTEM': 'MASTER-1',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_1_HBLINK,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

            {'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER-1',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_1_BRANDMEISTER, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

        ],

    'TESTA': [

            {'SYSTEM': 'MASTER-1',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_1_HBLINK,    'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

           {'SYSTEM': 'REPEATER-2',    'TS': 2, 'TGID': TALKGROUP_2_BRANDMEISTER, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [2,], 'OFF': [9,10], 'RESET': []},

        ]

}

Also, if it matters, the HBLINK TG 1 is equal to the BM TG 1. I can make them different.

Skyler Fennell

Also, nevermind / just kidding on the TGIF. Pretend I didn't say that

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 10:40 PM Skyler F <electricity440@...> wrote:
[...]

Alec-N1AJW

Use Open Bridge in HBlink.cfg.  Submit a support Ticket to BM and give them the TG's you want from BM.   These will then always be avail on TS1 once the bridge is made.  provide ip of your hblink, your callsign and id used and the tgs.   then you can just use the rules as you wish to bridge the talkgroups.

Alec
N1AJW

Alec-N1AJW

p.s. you can never bridge any BM TG's and TGIF TG's together.  they must remain autonomous of each other in your bridges..

Alec

Skyler Fennell

Yeah I realized that after doing research after I already posted the question. I won't bridge TGIF in, I've never even messed with TGIF before.

So what is different between OpenBridge and the bridges used for repeater-1, repeater2 etc.? Could you send me a sample of openbridge?

Even if I'm not bridging 2 brandmiester talkgroups, but say bridging to another HBLINK server on repeater-2, is my configuration right, or can you not have more than 1 repeater on different talkgroups connected to the same conference?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:18 AM Alec-N1AJW <alec.wasserman@...> wrote:
p.s. you can never bridge any BM TG's and TGIF TG's together.  they must remain autonomous of each other in your bridges..

Alec

Skyler Fennell

The thing about openbridge is I have to find someone at BM, and I've always had a hard time dealing with them and getting stuff to work, then it is a permanent connection, not something I can disconnect and edit on the fly to our communications needs. Also, support tickets are useless, I've submitted a few support tickets before on BM, and they usually just randomly disappear after 4 months of me waiting.

I thought I would implement HBLink so I could get around double vocoding to bring in multiple talk-groups and systems such as fusion using an asterisk background, but maybe it is better just to do that and deal with the fact that call-sign translation does not happen. I can easily run multiple instances of MMDVMHost with the same 62031 outbound port at the same time, but it does not seem like HBLink will talk to BM that way.

If there is any other way I can simply bridge Two talkgroups together using two "hotspot" instances, it would be greatly appreciated. It seems right now that I can only have 1 outbound connection to the BM network at a time on my HBlink instance.

My Goal:
NORMAL OPERATION ( I CAN Get this to work Right now)
ASL <---> ANALOG_BRDGE <---> HBLINK <----> BM SkyHub 310847, YSF REFLECTOR

SEVERE WX Operation
ASL <---> ANALOG_BRIDGE <---> HBLINK <---> BM SkyHub 310847,BM Colorado WX Talkgroup, YSF Reflector

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:32 AM Skyler Fennell via Groups.Io <electricity440=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yeah I realized that after doing research after I already posted the question. I won't bridge TGIF in, I've never even messed with TGIF before.

So what is different between OpenBridge and the bridges used for repeater-1, repeater2 etc.? Could you send me a sample of openbridge?

Even if I'm not bridging 2 brandmiester talkgroups, but say bridging to another HBLINK server on repeater-2, is my configuration right, or can you not have more than 1 repeater on different talkgroups connected to the same conference?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:18 AM Alec-N1AJW <alec.wasserman@...> wrote:
p.s. you can never bridge any BM TG's and TGIF TG's together.  they must remain autonomous of each other in your bridges..

Alec

Steve N4IRS

Edited

I don't know of any reason you would need to "double vocoder" Everything I see is either AMBE or analog. I also don't see why you can't have multiple connections to BM:

[TG-1]
MODE: PEER
ENABLED: True
LOOSE: False
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54001
MASTER_IP: 310x.repeater.net
MASTER_PORT: 62031
PASSPHRASE: homebrew
CALLSIGN: W1ABC
RADIO_ID: 311212301
RX_FREQ: 449000000
TX_FREQ: 444000000
TX_POWER: 25
COLORCODE: 1
SLOTS: 1

[TG-2]
MODE: PEER
ENABLED: True
LOOSE: False
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54002
MASTER_IP: 310x.repeater.net
MASTER_PORT: 62031
PASSPHRASE: homebrew
CALLSIGN: W1ABC
RADIO_ID: 311212302
RX_FREQ: 449000000
TX_FREQ: 444000000
TX_POWER: 25
COLORCODE: 1
SLOTS: 1

[TG-3]
MODE: PEER
ENABLED: True
LOOSE: False
EXPORT_AMBE: False
IP:
PORT: 54003
MASTER_IP: 310x.repeater.net
MASTER_PORT: 62031
PASSPHRASE: homebrew
CALLSIGN: W1ABC
RADIO_ID: 311212303
RX_FREQ: 449000000
TX_FREQ: 444000000
TX_POWER: 25
COLORCODE: 1
SLOTS: 1

Maybe I'm missing something.
Steve N4IRS

On 10/25/2019 11:20 AM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
[...]

Thank you Steve for your reply.

I’ve tried that and it does not work. It only sends traffic to one of the BM talkgroups, and sometimes the other talkgroup gets some “blips” but never gets any audio.  I did make sure they all used different local ports and tried a few different rules.py settings.

Could you give me an example of rules.py that you think works for what you just sent me?

Thank you,
Skyler

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:23 AM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
[...]

PORT: 62031
MASTER_IP: 310x.repeater.net
MASTER_PORT: 54000
[...]

I would actually have to sit down and write one. I have done it with DMRlink and it's bridge. I think you want to ask in the HBlink subgroup.

On 10/25/2019 12:37 PM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
[...]

This is off the top of my head, I do not have a test platform I want to try it on. Do pay attention to the fact that each SYSTEM in hblink.cfg has a different SSID appended to the DMRID.
I suggest you watch the logs while testing each TG. Telling us it does not work, does not work. There is a reason for logs.

BRIDGES = {
    'TG1': [
            {'SYSTEM': 'TG-1',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 1, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [], 'OFF': [], 'RESET': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'TG-2',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 2, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [], 'OFF': [], 'RESET': []},
            {'SYSTEM': 'TG-3',    'TS': 1, 'TGID': 3, 'ACTIVE': True, 'TIMEOUT': 2, 'TO_TYPE': 'NONE',  'ON': [], 'OFF': [], 'RESET': []},
        ],
    'TG2': [