Topics

AMBEserver on rPI for Analog_Bridge

Patrick Perdue

Hi:

A while back, I saw something on this group to the affect of changing timing to make the ThumbDV+AMBEserver combo work better on a Raspberry Pi, but I can't find it now after searching the archives for an hour.

Note that I haven't set this up yet -- still waiting for dongles to arrive. They should be here tomorrow.

I have DVSwitch and ASL running in the cloud, and want to use AMBEserver on a remote Raspberry Pi 4 2GB instead of md380-emu. I'm using a 3.5A power supply on the Pi 4. I'd like to host two dongles for two different, completely unrelated connection points, each with it's own AMBEserver, of course. This is just a dongle host, and won't be running DVSwitch itself.

The Pi is running stock Raspbian.

What should be done in order to optimize things with this setup? Should I still use a powered USB hub, as some have suggested? What about timing?

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI

Steve N4IRS

Patrick,
I would not suggest you use a powered hub. Plug the ThumbDV directly into the Pi.
The ThumbDV is very sensitive to power dips.
See this: <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main/message/315?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,DV3000U,20,2,0,5521534>

Fore USB latency:
As root:
cat /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices/ttyUSB0/latency_timer
I expect it will return 16

Try this:
echo 1 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices/ttyUSB0/latency_timer

If that works, add:
to /etc/rc.local before the last line (exit 0)

73, Steve N4IRS

On 11/3/19 7:47 PM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
Hi:

A while back, I saw something on this group to the affect of changing timing to make the ThumbDV+AMBEserver combo work better on a Raspberry Pi, but I can't find it now after searching the archives for an hour.

Note that I haven't set this up yet -- still waiting for dongles to arrive. They should be here tomorrow.

I have DVSwitch and ASL running in the cloud, and want to use AMBEserver on a remote Raspberry Pi 4 2GB instead of md380-emu. I'm using a 3.5A power supply on the Pi 4. I'd like to host two dongles for two different, completely unrelated connection points, each with it's own AMBEserver, of course. This is just a dongle host, and won't be running DVSwitch itself.

What should be done in order to optimize things with this setup? Should I still use a powered USB hub, as some have suggested? What about timing?

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI

Patrick Perdue

Got it working, but audio is extremely jittery (pretty much useless) between the remote AMBEserver and the Analog_Bridge. Latency is a very solid 3 MS across the internet between the box in my apartment and the server running DVSwitch. If I used BlueDV locally for DMR and D-STAR, all seems fine. I even tried it from my iPhone's hotspot, and it was good there, too.

I guess I can run DVSwitch locally, but was trying to avoid doing that.

On 11/3/2019 8:00 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Patrick,
I would not suggest you use a powered hub. Plug the ThumbDV directly into the Pi.
See this: <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main/message/315?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,DV3000U,20,2,0,5521534>

Fore USB latency:
As root:

Try this:

If that works, add:

73, Steve N4IRS

Hi:

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI

Steve N4IRS

Can I assume you verified on the machine with the DV3000, operation with AMBEtest4.py and the latency is 1?

Steve N4IRS

On 11/4/19 8:51 PM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
Got it working, but audio is extremely jittery (pretty much useless) between the remote AMBEserver and the Analog_Bridge. Latency is a very solid 3 MS across the internet between the box in my apartment and the server running DVSwitch. If I used BlueDV locally for DMR and D-STAR, all seems fine. I even tried it from my iPhone's hotspot, and it was good there, too.

Patrick,

Fore USB latency:
As root:

Try this:

If that works, add:

73, Steve N4IRS

Hi:

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI

Patrick Perdue

I did, and it was.

FWIW, I also tried the dongle on another x86 machine running Debian with the same results. I have not yet tried everything locally on that machine.

On 11/4/2019 9:23 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Can I assume you verified on the machine with the DV3000, operation with AMBEtest4.py and the latency is 1?

Steve N4IRS

Patrick,

Fore USB latency:
As root:

Try this:

If that works, add:

73, Steve N4IRS

Hi:

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI

Steve N4IRS

I can tell you that both Mike and I have run a DV3000 on a remote Pi. Though only on a LAN on the same segment.

On 11/4/19 9:25 PM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
I did, and it was.

FWIW, I also tried the dongle on another x86 machine running Debian with the same results. I have not yet tried everything locally on that machine.

Steve N4IRS

Patrick,

Fore USB latency:
As root:

Try this:

If that works, add:

73, Steve N4IRS

Hi:

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI

Patrick Perdue

I did all the same stuff again a few hours later, with the ThumbDV connected to the Pi, and it works without break-ups this time. Don't know what changed. Oh well.

On 11/4/2019 9:27 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
I can tell you that both Mike and I have run a DV3000 on a remote Pi. Though only on a LAN on the same segment.

On 11/4/19 9:25 PM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
I did, and it was.

Steve N4IRS

Patrick,

Fore USB latency:
As root:

Try this:

If that works, add:

73, Steve N4IRS

Hi:

Thanks and 73

KE4DYI