Beta testing of DummyRepeater for ASL

Steve N4IRS

Beta testing of a simple D-Star <---> AllStar bridge can begin
<https://github.com/N4IRS/Analog_Bridge/tree/master/DummyRepeater>

This is NOT D-Star_Bridge. The changes made are to 1 file in DummyRepeater. This does require a Vocoder. I am using a PiDV from NWD. I will test this with a ThumbDV. Dummy repeater is not a command line program, so it does require a console. I am testing a solution to run this headless. Once everything works we will release the patch. Audio also available on EchoLink N4IRS-L

---
"What are HB_Bridge, IPSC_Bridge and Analog_Bridge?"

Matthew Pitts N8OHU

Steve,

I'm probably going to run this with one of my older Internet Labs
DV-Dongles, as those are what's available for D-STAR if I also have a
DMR bridge set up. A question; can you have multiple instances of the
USRP channel driver or would I have to have two separate AllStar
machines for that. Not that having them would be an issue, just
curiosity catching the mousetrap here.

Matthew

N8OHU

On 7/3/2017 12:09 PM, Steve N4IRS wrote:
Beta testing of a simple D-Star <---> AllStar bridge can begin
<https://github.com/N4IRS/Analog_Bridge/tree/master/DummyRepeater>

This is NOT D-Star_Bridge. The changes made are to 1 file in
DummyRepeater. This does require a Vocoder. I am using a PiDV from
NWD. I will test this with a ThumbDV. Dummy repeater is not a command
line program, so it does require a console. I am testing a solution to
run this headless. Once everything works we will release the patch.
Audio also available on EchoLink N4IRS-L

73, Steve N4IRS

---
http://www.avg.com

Steve N4IRS

Matthew,
I don't think you can have multiple instances of the USRP channel driver. I would have to experiment.
I have my doubts.

Steve

On 07/03/2017 09:45 PM, Matthew Pitts N8OHU via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

It LOOKS like multiple instances of chan_usrp MAY work. At least it does not crash! I did a quick test by adding a second node stanza:

[1999]
rxchannel = USRP/127.0.0.1:36001:37001  ; Use the USRP channel driver. Must be enabled in modules.conf
; 127.0.0.1 = IP of the target application
; 36001 = UDP port the target application is listening on
; 37001 = UDP port ASL is listening on

Asterisk did not crash. I have not tried to send or receive audio from 1999, but it MIGHT work.

73, Steve

Steve N4IRS

It does work. I was unable to run 2 Vocoders at the same time (Raspberry Pi and ThumbDV issues) Bit I have 2 active instances of chan_usrp running at the same time. So it looks like your idea will work.

I moved the ThumbDV to a powered hub. When I ran the confidence test with 100,000 iterations it passed. So, I have both DMR and D-Star running on a Raspberry Pi2. Both Vocoders are running from AMBEserver (different ports)
The ASL config is 1 public node and 2 private nodes. I switch for one private node to the other depending on the desired mode. I have to say, the Pi is not breaking a sweat. ;)

73, Steve N4IRS

David KE6UPI

Good news. It sounds like the USB powered hub solves the ThumbDV problem?

David
KE6UPI

--
Thanks, David

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."
Thomas Jefferson

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
I moved the ThumbDV to a powered hub. When I ran the confidence test with 100,000 iterations it passed. So, I have both DMR and D-Star running on a Raspberry Pi2. Both Vocoders are running from AMBEserver (different ports)
The ASL config is 1 public node and 2 private nodes. I switch for one private node to the other depending on the desired mode. I have to say, the Pi is not breaking a sweat. ;)

It looks like it is going to work. I am running bridge from D-Star to DMR as a test. It is receive only. You can listen to the traffic on BM TG 311222 and ASL 2600.
I'll keep everybody informed.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 07/08/2017 11:53 PM, David KE6UPI wrote:
[...]

Yess , What are the spécifications of the USB Hub you are using ???
Power  supply capacity ????

I will try  MMDVM ,  AST  Analog_Bridge , HBLink,  hb_confbridge and HB_Parrot in the same  Rpi3 ..

Will try  to use one  USB port for the MMDVM  and another  for the Powered USB hub to THumBDV as a start…

Richard

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Steve N4IRS

I don't think it's anything special. It's a D-Link DUB-H7 USB 2.0 powered hub I'll get the power supply specs when I move it.
This is a hub I had laying around. when I Google it, I think the newer model shows up. This one is silver and gray.

Steve

On 07/09/2017 12:05 AM, Richard (Joseph) VE2DJE wrote:

Yess , What are the spécifications of the USB Hub you are using ???
Power  supply capacity ????

I will try  MMDVM ,  AST  Analog_Bridge , HBLink,  hb_confbridge and HB_Parrot in the same  Rpi3 ..

Will try  to use one  USB port for the MMDVM  and another  for the Powered USB hub to THumBDV as a start…

Richard

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Paul Nannery KC2VRJ

How many streams can one thumb dv handle at a time?

On Jul 9, 2017 12:10 AM, "Steve N4IRS" <szingman@...> wrote:
I don't think it's anything special. It's a D-Link DUB-H7 USB 2.0 powered hub I'll get the power supply specs when I move it.
This is a hub I had laying around. when I Google it, I think the newer model shows up. This one is silver and gray.

Steve

On 07/09/2017 12:05 AM, Richard (Joseph) VE2DJE wrote:

Yess , What are the spécifications of the USB Hub you are using ???
Power  supply capacity ????

I will try  MMDVM ,  AST  Analog_Bridge , HBLink,  hb_confbridge and HB_Parrot in the same  Rpi3 ..

Will try  to use one  USB port for the MMDVM  and another  for the Powered USB hub to THumBDV as a start…

Richard

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Steve N4IRS

Just 1. For what I'm doing I have 2 Vocoders running. One for D-Star (DummyRepeater) and one for DMR.

On 07/09/2017 12:11 AM, Paul Nannery wrote:
How many streams can one thumb dv handle at a time?

On Jul 9, 2017 12:10 AM, "Steve N4IRS" <szingman@...> wrote:
I don't think it's anything special. It's a D-Link DUB-H7 USB 2.0 powered hub I'll get the power supply specs when I move it.
This is a hub I had laying around. when I Google it, I think the newer model shows up. This one is silver and gray.

Steve

On 07/09/2017 12:05 AM, Richard (Joseph) VE2DJE wrote:

Yess , What are the spécifications of the USB Hub you are using ???
Power  supply capacity ????

I will try  MMDVM ,  AST  Analog_Bridge , HBLink,  hb_confbridge and HB_Parrot in the same  Rpi3 ..

Will try  to use one  USB port for the MMDVM  and another  for the Powered USB hub to THumBDV as a start…

Richard

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Steve N4IRS

Here is what I have on the hub I'm using. I do not think it is anything special.

lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 2001:f103 D-Link Corp. DUB-H7 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Label reads:
P/N: BDUBH7....A2 (Yes, the periods are in the Part Number)
H/W Ver. : A2

Power Supply is 5V 3A

On 07/09/2017 12:05 AM, Richard (Joseph) VE2DJE wrote:

Yess , What are the spécifications of the USB Hub you are using ???
Power  supply capacity ????

I will try  MMDVM ,  AST  Analog_Bridge , HBLink,  hb_confbridge and HB_Parrot in the same  Rpi3 ..

Will try  to use one  USB port for the MMDVM  and another  for the Powered USB hub to THumBDV as a start…

Richard

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Steve N4IRS

From the just for the heck of it department. To test the Raspberry with 2 Vocoders, I am running the following.

BM (TG 3112122) <--> HB_Bridge <--> Analog_Bridge <--> DummyRepeater <---> DCS006T

Both Analog_Bridge (AB) and DummyRepeater (DR) have Vocoders. AB is using the PiDV and DR is using the ThumbDV plugged into the powered hub.
This is NOT the way to do this long term. This is just a test. I expect I'll put one side or the other to move a lot of traffic between the 2 networks.

73, Steve N4IRS

David KE6UPI

Is there a way to listen to D-Star online like BrandMeister's Hoseline?

David

--
Thanks, David

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."
Thomas Jefferson

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
From the just for the heck of it department. To test the Raspberry with 2 Vocoders, I am running the following.

BM (TG 3112122) <--> HB_Bridge <--> Analog_Bridge <--> DummyRepeater <---> DCS006T

Both Analog_Bridge (AB) and DummyRepeater (DR) have Vocoders. AB is using the PiDV and DR is using the ThumbDV plugged into the powered hub.
This is NOT the way to do this long term. This is just a test. I expect I'll put one side or the other to move a lot of traffic between the 2 networks.

You should be able to listen to TG 3112122 on hoseline.

On 07/09/2017 04:28 PM, David KE6UPI wrote:
Is there a way to listen to D-Star online like BrandMeister's Hoseline?

David

--
Thanks, David

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."
Thomas Jefferson

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
From the just for the heck of it department. To test the Raspberry with 2 Vocoders, I am running the following.

BM (TG 3112122) <--> HB_Bridge <--> Analog_Bridge <--> DummyRepeater <---> DCS006T

Both Analog_Bridge (AB) and DummyRepeater (DR) have Vocoders. AB is using the PiDV and DR is using the ThumbDV plugged into the powered hub.
This is NOT the way to do this long term. This is just a test. I expect I'll put one side or the other to move a lot of traffic between the 2 networks.

73, Steve N4IRS

Just  finished my testing  with the Powered USB HUB.

Here is my setup   ALL Software running on a single Rpi3…

.

                                                                              MMDVM

AST -  Analog_Bridge – HB_Bridge – hb_confbridge – hbparrot

                        |                                                        |

                ThumbDV                                           BMServer 3021.

Confbridge has 3 rules

TG9TS2 to AST

TG9991TS2 to Parrot

TG3027TS1 to BM .

ONLY ThumbDV  plugged in powered hub .

MMDVM Arduino Due plugged  directly on  RPi3 USB port

Errors in  ThumbDV test ( AMBEtest4.py)  if mmdvm is plugged in powered  USB Hub …

All  functionnal  .  Max CPU  use I have seen is   25 %

Richard VE2DJE

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Steve N4IRS

This is interesting. What was the error?

Thanks, Steve

On 07/09/2017 10:07 PM, Richard (Joseph) VE2DJE wrote:

ONLY ThumbDV  plugged in powered hub .

MMDVM Arduino Due plugged  directly on  RPi3 USB port

Errors in  ThumbDV test ( AMBEtest4.py)  if mmdvm is plugged in powered  USB Hub …

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

Coming to a screen near you

I have done some work on Analog_Bridge and DummyRepeater (AB and DR) that allow the passing of limited metadata between the two networks.
On the AB side DMR IDs are looked up in the subscriberids.csv.  The call sign is then transferred over to DR along with the talk group and slot.  This information is placed in the DStar message field for the transmission so you can see the source call/tg and slot on your dstar radio.
On the DR side, the call is passed over the bridge to AB where it is looked up in the subscriber_ids.csv file.  If found, it is used as the source ID of the transmission for the DMR network.  If the call is not found (no cc7 id) then the gateway call is used instead.

I will make the changes available in the next day or so.

Mike