Topics

Invalid command from BrandMeister #brandmeister

Veijo Arponen OH4VA

Hello all, this is my first message to this group.

I started using the HBlink last weekend. My conference bridge has two masters (Trunk and HBlink) and and one client (Brandmeister). The client is connected to the Finnish BrandMeister server 2441. The BM link works but every now and then in the log file comes error messages:

ERROR 2017-11-21 10:12:33,088 (Brandmeister) Received an invalid command in packet: 52505453424b4e0e8fbff7

Any idea what this is and how to solve it?

Cheers de Veijo OH3NFC

Veijo Arponen OH4VA

Edited

Well, I did a temporary solution and added this command in an else-if statement and pushed to the forked repository https://github.com/oh3nfc/HBlink/tree/devel

73 de Vepa

Matthew 2E0SIP

Hi Veijo,

It looks like this is a "Beacon Message" from Brandmeister documented here - https://wiki.brandmeister.network/index.php/Homebrew_repeater_protocol

When received by MMDVMHost it enables beaconing - https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVMHost/blob/master/DMRNetwork.cpp#L443

Personally I think its worth logging it on a debug level rather than dropping it silently, however as the end user can enable beaconing in the MMDVM.ini I don't think it needs to be handled in HBlink.

Cheers
Matthew
2E0SIP

Veijo Arponen OH4VA

Thank You Matthew,

I'm running a HBlink server which is connected to three BrandMeister servers, Finland, Sweden and Hungary.

Handling the beacon message at MMDVM host side seems to be necessary. If the BM server disconnects the HBlink client hangs on the server in undefined state. Restarting the HBlink solves the issue but reconnection could be done at HBlink side when it does not receive beacons sent from the BM server.

73 de Veijo

Veijo Arponen OH4VA

In the screen shots is seen the undefined connection state after I have reseted the connection at BrandMeister Dashboard.

Andrii Misyurko

I have a similar problem. How to fix it?
Traffic is not going to Brandmeister and back

Andrii Misyurko

????

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Just means it received something it doesn’t understand. Doesn’t necessarily indicate there will be a problem. If you’re not experiencing any particular failure associated with the occurrence of this packet, I wouldn’t worry about it.

On Feb 3, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Andrii Misyurko <radioproffi@...> wrote:

<Захват_1.png>

????

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

Andrii Misyurko

But I am not able to receive groups of Brandmeister and back. May be I have not correctly configured the client?

Veijo Arponen OH4VA

Hello,

Communication with BM servers works despite of the error I have reported on this issue. I was just testing HB Conference Bridge and I got it work. Time has passed but I may have the configuration somewhere on my test computer. I'll check and send it as a reference if you don't get your system working. In my system was connected two SharkRF openSPOTs and there were three separate client connections to BrandMeister servers in Finland, Sweden and Hungary.

Please reply to this message or directly to me if you are willing to have my config files as reference.

73 de Veijo OH3NFC

Andrii Misyurko

Thanks, if you can send your configuration here

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

The reason you don’t see me getting too involved in connecting to Brandmeister is that, when I first released HBLink, Brandmeister had prohibited the use of HBlink to connect to their servers/network. I know many folks do it. And I have never heard anything more from Brandmeister on it. But please be aware, the last thing I did hear was that this was not allowed.

On Feb 4, 2018, at 3:34 AM, Veijo Arponen, OH3NFC <oh3nfc@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Communication with BM servers works despite of the error I have reported on this issue. I was just testing HB Conference Bridge and I got it work. Time has passed but I may have the configuration somewhere on my test computer. I'll check and send it as a reference if you don't get your system working. In my system was connected two SharkRF openSPOTs and there were three separate client connections to BrandMeister servers in Finland, Sweden and Hungary.

Please reply to this message or directly to me if you are willing to have my config files as reference.

73 de Veijo OH3NFC

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501
M: +1-785-865-7206

Peter M0NWI

I was thinking the same Cort, do the Zingmen know any different?

Sent from Outlook

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

Steve N4IRS

I have never been told by Artem or Rudy not to use HB to connect to BM. Thry sre well aware that quite a few people are using HB to connect an number of devices and protocols to BM.

Stevew N4IRS

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

Cort N0MJS <n0mjs@...>

Steve, might you ask them about it, or should we just leave it alone? My stance has been to just sorta leave it alone and not *encourage* people doing it.

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

Steve N4IRS

I have never had them tell me to not use HB. I don't see a reason to ask again. Nor do I think we need to discourage people from using it.

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501

Steven Blackford

I find that odd as well, since I know I’ve had multiple conversations about using HBlink with the Brandmeister Network and have setup multiple connections to it for various bridges.  Mark, Corey, Steve, Rudy, etc have been nothing but supportive & helpful.  In fact, they’ve been very encouraging as well.  Some people might be against all the different aspects of linking things together, but I’d say the BM Team has been great!  So I appreciate the things everyone involved has done!  73 de Steve, K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQI

--
Cort Buffington
H: +1-785-813-1501