Topics

Connecting more that 2 Analog_Bridges #analog_bridge

davek

So i have a simple DMR to P25 Gateway working by piggybacking 2 instances of Analog_Bridge. I would like to add more modes, what process or component ties more than 2 Analog Bridges together?

JJ Cummings

What exactly is your ultimate goal?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:39 AM davek <davidkierz@...> wrote:
So i have a simple DMR to P25 Gateway working by piggybacking 2 instances of Analog_Bridge. I would like to add more modes, what process or component ties more than 2 Analog Bridges together?

davek

Bridge more than one (all?) digital modes together

Steve N4IRS

The only way to bridge USRP across more then 2 connections is with ASL.
The other issue to consider is that you don't ALWAYS want to go analog for conversion. Consider this:
DMR, NXDN, YSFn.  No conversion required. All 3 are AMBE so it's a simple cross connected MMDVM single instance for 2 modes.
YSFw and P25. No conversion required. All 3 ar IMBE so it's a simple cross connected MMDVM single instance for 2 modes.
D-Star is stand alone.

So, for example if you used 2 instances of AB to bridge DMR to NXDN you would loose quality by going to analog when it's not needed.

 Steve N4IRS

On 3/24/2020 11:40 AM, davek wrote:
Bridge more than one (all?) digital modes together

davek

Exactly what i needed to know, thanks Steve

davek

Would this seem like a appropriate all mode solution? Or am i over complicating this? I am not sure on the DStar

Mike KB8JNM

The only thing I can see to note is that you will need 3 nodes. One for EACH AB you are showing.

Each will need a unique address on the same server. Perhaps there is more I am over looking.

On 3/24/2020 12:45 PM, davek wrote:
Would this seem like a appropriate all mode solution? Or am i over complicating this? I am not sure on the DStar

JJ Cummings

You are correct with your design.  Not sure what "address" needs to be different.. but each would require it's own node entry in your ASL config and then you would need to link those ASL nodes together.  We accomplish this by having each mode have it's own node (as noted already) and then link each of those into a central ASL hub node where we can connect/disconnect at will.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:54 AM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

The only thing I can see to note is that you will need 3 nodes. One for EACH AB you are showing.

Each will need a unique address on the same server. Perhaps there is more I am over looking.

On 3/24/2020 12:45 PM, davek wrote:
Would this seem like a appropriate all mode solution? Or am i over complicating this? I am not sure on the DStar

Mike KB8JNM

I was referring to the USRP address. One address set for each node.

On 3/24/2020 12:57 PM, JJ Cummings wrote:
You are correct with your design.  Not sure what "address" needs to be different.. but each would require it's own node entry in your ASL config and then you would need to link those ASL nodes together.  We accomplish this by having each mode have it's own node (as noted already) and then link each of those into a central ASL hub node where we can connect/disconnect at will.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:54 AM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

The only thing I can see to note is that you will need 3 nodes. One for EACH AB you are showing.

Each will need a unique address on the same server. Perhaps there is more I am over looking.

On 3/24/2020 12:45 PM, davek wrote:
Would this seem like a appropriate all mode solution? Or am i over complicating this? I am not sure on the DStar

JJ Cummings

Maybe it's just a matter of what you and I are calling thing?

I read "address" as an IP Address which does not need to be unique at all.  All that needs to happen is each mode has an ASL node which listens for and sends USRP on a given set of ports.  Those ports need to be unique per node, but note the IP Address.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:03 AM Mike KB8JNM <groupio@...> wrote:

[...]

Port address, not IP.

As same with each P25 NXDN DMR etc service instance that is on the same server.

A separate PORT ADDRESS will be needed for each instance of a service running on the same server.

They can not be shared unless something has changed that I was not aware of.

On 3/24/2020 1:11 PM, JJ Cummings wrote:
[...]

If only it were so. In the diagram below (if I understand it) you have NXDN, DMR and YSFn all enabled. That's fine but NXDN is going to need to point it's TX and RX UDP ports at another mode (or Analog_Bridge)  But only one partner. MMDVM_Bridge does not mix all the modes and then output to AB. It's a one to one relationship. Look at DVSwitch.ini:

; Configure the DMR Partner
; Audio format is AMBE 72 bit
[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

; Configure the D-Star Partner
; Audio format is AMBE 48 bit (DSAMBE)
[DSTAR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 32100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 32103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

; Configure the NXDN Partner
; Audio format is AMBE 72 bit
[NXDN]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 33100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 33103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

; Configure the P25 Partner
; Audio format is IMBE 88 bit
[P25]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 34100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 34103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

; Configure the Yaesu Fusion Partner
; Audio format is AMBE 72 bit
; Audio format is IMBE 88 bit
[YSF]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 35100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 35103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

For a DMR to NXDN bridge it require to "cross connect the DMR and NXDN ports like this:

[DMR]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31100                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31103                  ; Port to listen on (import)

[NXDN]
Address = 127.0.0.1             ; Address to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
TXPort = 31103                  ; Port to send AMBE TLV frames to (export)
RXPort = 31100                  ; Port to listen on (import)

To mix everything in analog, you will need an ASL node for each mode. That's 5 copies of AB and 5 ASL nodes on the server. But I'll say again, you do not want to convert each mode to analog due to the loss of quality as compared to like vocoders.

Steve N4IRS

On 3/24/2020 12:45 PM, davek wrote:
Would this seem like a appropriate all mode solution? Or am i over complicating this? I am not sure on the DStar

Jeff DePolo WN3A

Port address, not IP.
As same with each P25 NXDN DMR etc service instance that is on the same server.
A separate PORT ADDRESS will be needed for each instance of a service running on the same server.
You're typing "port address" when you mean port number. I think that's why you are confusing JJ et al. Assuming they're all running on the same host, they will all use the localhost IP ADDRESS (127.0.0.1), but different PORT NUMBERS.

--- Jeff WN3A