Topics

Installing & setup of MMDVM_Bridge Analog_bridge to do allstarlink, d-star, dmr, p25 linking. #hblink #mmdvm_bridge #analog_bridge

Christopher AF5XP

Having a hard time locating & install & setting up MMDVM_Bridge, Analog_bridge to do allstarlink, d-star, dmr, p25 linking but haven't seen any for Debian. I am at a loss to completing the 2-year project and still stuck. a walkthrough would be very helpful if it's available.   

Steve N4IRS

On 4/4/20 9:31 PM, af5xp via groups.io wrote:
Having a hard time locating & install & setting up MMDVM_Bridge, Analog_bridge to do allstarlink, d-star, dmr, p25 linking but haven't seen any for Debian. I am at a loss to completing the 2-year project and still stuck. a walkthrough would be very helpful if it's available.   

Christopher AF5XP

Steve,
is this also help with the install and setup of the d-star side of this? 

Christopher AF5XP

also, the install will be on a separate server. the asl on a raspberry pie and the others are on a Debian system. so how would i make this work?  

Alec-N1AJW

Are you linking this to a BM TG?  you can use MMDVM_Bridge to link this to the BM with your id+2 and then map it to the TG in selfcare.  do the same for ASL link on your raspberry pi.  

Alec
N1AJW

Christopher AF5XP

Alec,
       Trying to do a new install & setup between my Allstarlink, D-star, P25 to start with then possibly a bridge to Fusion & BM TG once I get the others working good. As I stated previously, I have the Allstarlink node on a pi with Arm os and the others are on a Debian system. I prefer to set up the Dvswitch software on the Debian for the ease of install compared to the ARM OS. 

Steve N4IRS

I would suggest you follow the howto on one machine to learn before you attempt multi-hosts. Setup DMR as the howto shows before attempting other modes.

Steve N4IRS

On 4/5/20 12:00 AM, af5xp via groups.io wrote:
also, the install will be on a separate server. the asl on a raspberry pie and the others are on a Debian system. so how would i make this work?  

Christopher AF5XP

Steve, 

I understand, but as ARM os (AllstarLink Node) is difficult to install software on. I am running my D-Star & P25 Reflectors on my Debian machine. Currently, I don't use DMR and don't care for it personally. That's why I have been trying to set up this way. But the how to's are very vague on their explanation for install & starting & setup, as being some big secret for a select few. My friend Steven K4SQI was helping me before he passed away all of a sudden. 

Steve N4IRS

There is no big secret. Nobody is hiding anything. Why do you think this forum exists? If you learn to setup DMR the flow will become clearer. Have you tried to follow the howto on a x86 system? I also suggest you look at <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/Mobile/files/DVSM_02_17_2020.pdf> DVSwith Mobile uses all the same programs.

Steve N4IRS 

On 4/5/20 12:57 PM, af5xp via groups.io wrote:
Steve, 

I understand, but as ARM os (AllstarLink Node) is difficult to install software on. I am running my D-Star & P25 Reflectors on my Debian machine. Currently, I don't use DMR and don't care for it personally. That's why I have been trying to set up this way. But the how to's are very vague on their explanation for install & starting & setup, as being some big secret for a select few. My friend Steven K4SQI was helping me before he passed away all of a sudden. 

Christopher AF5XP

Steve,

sorry for seeming rough. I'm just getting frustrated with it. Steven installed the dvswitch on my all-star node but never told me how to start the services and get it all up and running on the arm os. All he did is manage to get my P25 reflector running on my Debian machine. I believe he even had me install the ambe server and IrcDDB on the Debian machine as well. I'm just getting a headache after 2.5 years of fighting with it, 

Peter M0NWI

You get this is a technical 'hobby', that we're all here to forward that hobby, Steve and Mike, with Cort too have for me anyway,  given an amazing amount of time and effort, and others have stood up and become supporters around them, to help people!?

You need to have an understanding of computing, Linux os in particular, and ip networking to follow the flow of packets from one modules port to another, before you then add in the DVSwitch modules to allow you to transpose one audio mode to another.

If you've been at this 2 1/2 years then might I suggest that just isn't be for you, and would be better to get someone, another local amateur to do this for you, maybe approach a local club?

Sorry to be hard, but these systems aren't trivial, and need work to build.

Peter

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of af5xp via groups.io <af5xp@...>
Sent: 05 April 2020 18:16
To: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Installing & setup of MMDVM_Bridge Analog_bridge to do allstarlink, d-star, dmr, p25 linking. #analog_bridge #mmdvm_bridge #hblink

Steve,

sorry for seeming rough. I'm just getting frustrated with it. Steven installed the dvswitch on my all-star node but never told me how to start the services and get it all up and running on the arm os. All he did is manage to get my P25 reflector running on my Debian machine. I believe he even had me install the ambe server and IrcDDB on the Debian machine as well. I'm just getting a headache after 2.5 years of fighting with it, 

Christopher AF5XP

Peter, 

Thanks for the insight. But I have been Building, coding many of projects in the commercial and ham world in Linux, Mac & windows for about almost 11 years now just not a lot with the Arm OS and as with anything, if you do not know in which order or how each piece of software interact with each other you run into many roadblocks. But thanks for your input. 

Steve N4IRS

ARM OS? You mean Linux on ARM?

On 4/5/20 4:15 PM, af5xp via groups.io wrote:
Peter, 

Thanks for the insight. But I have been Building, coding many of projects in the commercial and ham world in Linux, Mac & windows for about almost 11 years now just not a lot with the Arm OS and as with anything, if you do not know in which order or how each piece of software interact with each other you run into many roadblocks. But thanks for your input. 

Christopher AF5XP

Steve, 

It's hard to work with os on a pi with ARM that Hamvoip all-star uses that nothing installs like regular vers of Linux do. All most everything has to be manually installed, piece by piece. That's why I have/use a separate Linux machine for the other stuff.   

Christopher AF5XP

Steve, 

I'll either figure out how to get it all working or have a big screwed up mess going haywire.  

Peter M0NWI

Why can't you just start with a standard Debian / Raspbian, dump the Arch custom build and add the extras too it instead then?

Peter

From: main@DVSwitch.groups.io <main@DVSwitch.groups.io> on behalf of af5xp via groups.io <af5xp@...>
Sent: 05 April 2020 21:31
Subject: Re: [DVSwitch] Installing & setup of MMDVM_Bridge Analog_bridge to do allstarlink, d-star, dmr, p25 linking. #analog_bridge #mmdvm_bridge #hblink

Steve, 

It's hard to work with os on a pi with ARM that Hamvoip all-star uses that nothing installs like regular vers of Linux do. All most everything has to be manually installed, piece by piece. That's why I have/use a separate Linux machine for the other stuff.   

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

And finally the answer comes out. Hamvoip uses arch linux as its base and none of the dvswitch software will work on arch. It has been built for the Debian based systems like raspbian, dwbian and ubuntu. You will not get this to work without rebuilding everything from source code. 

The only other option is to start from a clean raspbian install and install allstar and the dvswitch components that way, not using the hamvoip image. 

That is how myself and many many others use allstar and dvswitch bridges. Hamvoip is ok to get started with but customization is very difficult. It’s not hard to install allstar and everything on raspbian. Again just follow the directions. 

On Apr 5, 2020, at 16:38, Peter M0NWI <peter-martin@...> wrote:

Why can't you just start with a standard Debian / Raspbian, dump the Arch custom build and add the extras too it instead then?

Peter

Steve, 

Steve N4IRS

Actually, the DVSwitch binaries will work on HAMVOIP but the apt packages will not install on ARCH. The packages have to be pulled apart and the pieces installed manually. That being said, the AllStar side of the bridge is simple (chan_usrp) and needs to be pointed at Analog_Bridge. It does not matter want that target machine IP is. (127.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.111)

Steve N4IRS

On 4/5/20 4:54 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:
And finally the answer comes out. Hamvoip uses arch linux as its base and none of the dvswitch software will work on arch. It has been built for the Debian based systems like raspbian, dwbian and ubuntu. You will not get this to work without rebuilding everything from source code. 

The only other option is to start from a clean raspbian install and install allstar and the dvswitch components that way, not using the hamvoip image. 

That is how myself and many many others use allstar and dvswitch bridges. Hamvoip is ok to get started with but customization is very difficult. It’s not hard to install allstar and everything on raspbian. Again just follow the directions. 

Peter

Steve, 

Jeff Lehman, N8ACL

Ah just learned something new. I new that apt wouldn’t load it so I assumed that they were built for Debian based systems and had to be built from source. 

So there you go. I would still dump hamvoip and go with a clean install though on raspbian. You will know much better how everything works and will be easier to do. 

On Apr 5, 2020, at 17:10, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:

Actually, the DVSwitch binaries will work on HAMVOIP but the apt packages will not install on ARCH. The packages have to be pulled apart and the pieces installed manually. That being said, the AllStar side of the bridge is simple (chan_usrp) and needs to be pointed at Analog_Bridge. It does not matter want that target machine IP is. (127.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.111)

Steve N4IRS

On 4/5/20 4:54 PM, Jeff Lehman, N8ACL via groups.io wrote:

Peter

Steve, 

Christopher AF5XP

Steve, 

Ok, that's very helpful. I should have stated ARCH instead of using ARM, sorry on my part. I will try to install on my Debian machine and have it point to the IP of the all-star node after I make it to that point.