MMDVM_Bridge doesn't appear to be connecting to ircddbgateway

Matthew 2E0SIP

Hi All,

I've recently been playing with the DVSwitch software again after a bit a hiatus . The pre-compiled packages are a dream so thanks to everyone involved.

I am in the process of setting up a D-Star to DMR bridge. I've got ircddbgateway up and working, but when I start MMDVM_Bridge I don't see any notification in the logs to indicate it's connected to ircddbgateway, and if I run a packet capture I only see very occasional packets going to port 20010 and nothing back. With MMDVMHost and ircddbgateway on pi-star with a similar configuration I get the more affirmative log line `D-Star link status set to "Linking to DCS061"`

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Matthew 2E0SIP

MMDMV_Bridge.ini

[General]
Callsign=2E0SIP
Id=234326505
Timeout=180
Duplex=0

[Info]
RXFrequency=222340000
TXFrequency=224940000
Power=1
Latitude=41.7333
Longitude=-50.3999
Height=0
Location=Iceberg, North Atlantic
Description=MMDVM_Bridge
URL=https://groups.io/g/DVSwitch

[Log]
# Logging levels, 0=No logging, 1=Debug, 2=Message, 3=Info, 4=Warning, 5=Error, 6=Fatal
DisplayLevel=1
FileLevel=2
FilePath=/var/log/mmdvm
FileRoot=MMDVM_Bridge_DStar

[DMR Id Lookup]
File=/var/lib/mmdvm/DMRIds.dat
Time=24

[NXDN Id Lookup]
File=/var/lib/mmdvm/NXDN.csv
Time=24

[Modem]
Port=/dev/null
RSSIMappingFile=RSSI.dat
Trace=0
Debug=0

[D-Star]
Enable=1
Module=C

[DMR]
Enable=0
ColorCode=1
EmbeddedLCOnly=1
DumpTAData=0

[System Fusion]
Enable=0

[P25]
Enable=0
NAC=293

[NXDN]
Enable=0
RAN=1
Id=12345

[D-Star Network]
Enable=1
GatewayAddress=127.0.0.1
GatewayPort=20010
LocalPort=20011
Debug=1

[DMR Network]
Enable=0
Jitter=360
Local=62032
Address=87.117.229.173
Password="passw0rd"
Port=62031

# for DMR+ see https://github.com/DVSwitch/MMDVM_Bridge/blob/master/DOC/DMRplus_startup_options.md
# for XLX the syntax is: Options=XLX:4009
# Options=
Slot1=0
Slot2=1
Debug=0

[System Fusion Network]
Enable=0
LocalAddress=0
LocalPort=3200
GatewayAddress=ysfreflector.dvswitch.org
GatewayPort=42166
Debug=0

[P25 Network]
Enable=0
GatewayAddress=127.0.0.1
GatewayPort=42020
LocalPort=32010
Debug=0

[NXDN Network]
Enable=0
#LocalAddress=127.0.0.1
Debug=0
LocalPort=14021
GatewayAddress=127.0.0.1
GatewayPort=14020

/etc/ircddbgateay

gatewayType=1
gatewayCallsign=M0OUK
gatewayAddress=0.0.0.0
icomAddress=172.16.0.20
icomPort=20000
hbAddress=127.0.0.1
hbPort=20010
latitude=50.00
longitude=-3.00
description1=Watford, IO91
description2=United Kingdom
url=http://www.mw0mwz.co.uk/pi-star/
repeaterCall1=M0OUK
repeaterBand1=G
repeaterType1=0
repeaterAddress1=127.0.0.1
repeaterPort1=20011
reflector1=DCS061 C
atStartup1=1
reconnect1=0
frequency1=438.80000
offset1=0.0000
rangeKms1=1.000
latitude1=50.00
longitude1=-3.00
agl1=3.000
description1_1=Watford, IO91
description1_2=United Kingdom
url1=
band1_1=0
band1_2=0
band1_3=0
repeaterCall2=
repeaterBand2=
repeaterType2=0
repeaterAddress2=127.0.0.1
repeaterPort2=20012
reflector2=
atStartup2=0
reconnect2=0
frequency2=0.00000
offset2=0.0000
rangeKms2=0.000
latitude2=0.000000
longitude2=0.000000
agl2=0.000
description2_1=
description2_2=
url2=
band2_1=0
band2_2=0
band2_3=0
repeaterCall3=
repeaterBand3=
repeaterType3=0
repeaterAddress3=127.0.0.1
repeaterPort3=20013
reflector3=
atStartup3=0
reconnect3=0
frequency3=0.00000
offset3=0.0000
rangeKms3=0.000
latitude3=0.000000
longitude3=0.000000
agl3=0.000
description3_1=
description3_2=
url3=
band3_1=0
band3_2=0
band3_3=0
repeaterCall4=
repeaterBand4=
repeaterType4=0
repeaterAddress4=127.0.0.1
repeaterPort4=20014
reflector4=
atStartup4=0
reconnect4=0
frequency4=0.00000
offset4=0.0000
rangeKms4=0.000
latitude4=0.000000
longitude4=0.000000
agl4=0.000
description4_1=
description4_2=
url4=
band4_1=0
band4_2=0
band4_3=0
ircddbEnabled=1
ircddbHostname=rr.openquad.net
ircddbUsername=M0OUK
ircddbPassword=
ircddbEnabled2=0
ircddbHostname2=group1-irc.ircddb.net
ircddbUsername2=
ircddbPassword2=
ircddbEnabled3=0
ircddbHostname3=
ircddbUsername3=
ircddbPassword3=
ircddbEnabled4=0
ircddbHostname4=
ircddbUsername4=
ircddbPassword4=
aprsEnabled=1
aprsPassword=14500
aprsHostname=euro.aprs2.net
aprsPort=14580
dextraEnabled=1
dextraMaxDongles=5
dplusEnabled=1
dplusMaxDongles=5
dplusLogin=M0OUK
dcsEnabled=1
ccsEnabled=1
ccsHost=CCS706
xlxEnabled=0
xlxOverrideLocal=0
xlxHostsFileUrl=
starNetBand1=B
starNetCallsign1=
starNetLogoff1=
starNetInfo1=
starNetPermanent1=
starNetUserTimeout1=
starNetGroupTimeout1=
starNetCallsignSwitch1=1
starNetTXMsgSwitch1=1
starNetReflector1=
starNetBand2=B
starNetCallsign2=
starNetLogoff2=
starNetInfo2=
starNetPermanent2=
starNetUserTimeout2=
starNetGroupTimeout2=
starNetCallsignSwitch2=1
starNetTXMsgSwitch2=1
starNetReflector2=
starNetBand3=A
starNetCallsign3=
starNetLogoff3=
starNetInfo3=
starNetPermanent3=
starNetUserTimeout3=
starNetGroupTimeout3=
starNetCallsignSwitch3=0
starNetTXMsgSwitch3=1
starNetReflector3=
starNetBand4=A
starNetCallsign4=
starNetLogoff4=
starNetInfo4=
starNetPermanent4=
starNetUserTimeout4=
starNetGroupTimeout4=
starNetCallsignSwitch4=0
starNetTXMsgSwitch4=1
starNetReflector4=
starNetBand5=A
starNetCallsign5=
starNetLogoff5=
starNetInfo5=
starNetPermanent5=
starNetUserTimeout5=
starNetGroupTimeout5=
starNetCallsignSwitch5=0
starNetTXMsgSwitch5=1
starNetReflector5=
remoteEnabled=1
remotePassword=raspberry
remotePort=10022
language=0
infoEnabled=1
echoEnabled=1
logEnabled=1
dratsEnabled=1
dtmfEnabled=1
mobileGPSEnabled=0
mobileGPSAddress=127.0.0.1
mobileGPSPort=7834
windowX=-1
windowY=-1

Steve N4IRS

Matthew,
What I see here depends on which of the two components is start first. If I start MB then ircDDBGateway I see indication in the MB log when ircDDBGateway initializes.

MB:
M: 2020-05-31 11:05:55.799 D-Star, received network header from N4IRS   /INFO to CQCQCQ
M: 2020-05-31 11:05:58.284 D-Star, received network end of transmission, 2.5 seconds, 0% packet loss, BER: 0.0%

After I issue a remotecontrold command this is logged in MB:

M: 2020-05-31 11:16:06.641 D-Star link status set to "Linking to REF078 B "
M: 2020-05-31 11:16:06.678 D-Star link status set to "Linked to REF078 B  "

If ircddbgatewayd is run first. I see no indication in the MB log. When I issue a remotecontrold command:

M: 2020-05-31 11:20:39.219 D-Star link status set to "Linking to REF078 B "
M: 2020-05-31 11:20:39.261 D-Star link status set to "Linked to REF078 B  "
M: 2020-05-31 11:20:41.272 D-Star, received network header from N4IRS   /INFO to CQCQCQ   via REF078 B
M: 2020-05-31 11:20:48.317 D-Star, received network end of transmission, 7.1 seconds, 0% packet loss, BER: 0.0%

I would also turn on debug in the [D-Star Network] stanza.

hope this helps,
Steve N4IRS

On 5/31/20 6:09 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

[...]

Mike Zingman - N4IRR

Make your Modules match. You have “C” and “G”

Matthew 2E0SIP

Edited

Thanks both! I think it was just a case of not seeing the logs, but it was working in the background.

Mike - I've updated the Modules to match.

I've got a bit further and I'm now running :

DMR <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> Analog Bridge <-> Analog Bridge <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> ircddbgateway <-> DStar XLX

I can DStar to DMR is working, but DMR to DStar is not. Transcoding seems to be working, both Analog Bridge instances are showing Ptt Up etc, and AMBE frames are reaching both dongles.

I see packets get as far as XLX, but nothing is showing in the Dashboard. Am I missing something? - ircddbgateway is showing as logged in on the dashboard.

Thanks again

Edited: ( I can actually see packets reaching XLX, but nothing on the Dash, and DStar users don't receive anything)

Steve N4IRS

Matt,
Have you tried connecting to a DCS reflector as a test? Anything in the ircDDBGateway log?

Steve

On 5/31/20 10:05 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks both! I think it was just a case of not seeing the logs, but it was working in the background.

Mike - I've updated the Modules to match.

I've got a bit further and I'm now running :

DMR <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> Analog Bridge <-> Analog Bridge <-> MMDVM_Bridge <-> ircddbgateway <-> DStar XLX

I can DStar to DMR is working, but DMR to DStar is not. Transcoding seems to be working, both Analog Bridge instances are showing Ptt Up etc, and AMBE frames are reaching both dongles.

I see packets get as far as XLX, but nothing is showing in the Dashboard. Am I missing something? - ircddbgateway is showing as logged in on the dashboard.

Thanks again

Edited: ( I can actually see packets reaching XLX, but nothing on the Dash, and DStar users don't receive anything)

Matthew 2E0SIP

Hi Steve,

Good Idea, I'll give it a go.

I don't see much in the ircddblog, other than Gateway and User updates. This seems to be only relevant line:

M: 2020-05-31 15:32:43: From RF
M: 2020-05-31 15:32:43: 0000:  32 36 42 30 30 43 33 20 20                         *26B00C3  *

A few things spring to mind, is there any validation on the IDs used? They're registered as DMR IDs but I don't know if something special is required for D-Star.

Secondly, for the DStar instance of Analog_Bridge, does the following work? Should I be using a specific TG etc to get into XLX?

; The metadata below is used when ASL is the source since it does not have any concept of digital modes
gatewayDmrId = 2348479                  ; ID to use when transmitting from Analog_Bridge 7 digit ID
repeaterID = 234847911                  ; ID of source repeater 7 digit ID plus 2 digit SSID
txTg = 4003                          ; TG to use for all frames sent from Analog_Bridge -> xx_Bridge
txTs = 2                                ; Slot to use for frames sent from Analog_Bridge -> xx_Bridge
colorCode = 1                           ; Color Code to assign DMR frames

Thanks
Matthew

Steve N4IRS

As far as IDs go, I don't THINK there is any validation for XLX. the DMR instance of AB will try to lookup a DMRID to callsign and pass that on through the bridge. Check the D-Star MB log and make sure the callsigns are being sent on to XLX.

On 5/31/20 11:43 AM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:
[...]

Ok, is the Talk Group significant? I tried connecting to another XLX server via DCS but same issue, I appear as connected, I see a stream of packets to the server when I Tx, but nothing appears on the XLX Server. I can receive DStar transmissions on the DMR side without any issues.

Does anyone have a known good Analog_Bridge.ini, MMDVM_Bridge.ini and DVSwitch.ini for a link to XLX / DStar ?

And for what it's worth, I know in theory I could connect directly to XLX with DMR, but this server doesn't have any transcoding capability at present.

Cheers

Steve N4IRS

I was wondering if you could connect to a "real" DCS reflector. I wanted to talk XLX out of the mix for the test.

On 5/31/20 12:02 PM, Matthew 2E0SIP wrote:

Ok, is the Talk Group significant? I tried connecting to another XLX server via DCS but same issue, I appear as connected, I see a stream of packets to the server when I Tx, but nothing appears on the XLX Server. I can receive DStar transmissions on the DMR side without any issues.

Does anyone have a known good Analog_Bridge.ini, MMDVM_Bridge.ini and DVSwitch.ini for a link to XLX / DStar ?

And for what it's worth, I know in theory I could connect directly to XLX with DMR, but this server doesn't have any transcoding capability at present.

Cheers

Matthew 2E0SIP

Hi Steve,

I'll see if I can schedule something with another Amateur on a DCS reflector.

I noticed in a packet capture I'm sending a DMR ID in place of a Call Sign in the packet to XLX:

This is what it looks like from a D-Star user:

On the DMR side of Analog_Bridge I see this:

I: 2020-05-31 19:43:37.056 Begin TX: src=2343265 rpt=0 dst=2348479 slot=2 cc=0 call=2343265

I wonder if this is causing the issue. Do you know why this would happen? subscriber_ids.csv is up to date and includes my DMR ID, so I'd expect to see my callsign

Thanks

Matthew 2E0SIP

Ah, that solved it. I think at some point subscriber_ids.csv was in the wrong format. I've updated it, restarted everything, and now its working, hopefully.