ARM IMAGE

W8DSB

Is there a ARM image available (PI 4) that has ASL, DVSWitch already installed? I have made a few now using HAMVOIP and DVSwitch but the ASL to DMR is only so so even with a DV3000 USB dongle. Hoping to find something that works better.

Steve N4IRS

Not yet.....

On 6/3/2020 10:05 AM, W8DSB wrote:
Is there a ARM image available (PI 4) that has ASL, DVSWitch already installed? I have made a few now using HAMVOIP and DVSwitch but the ASL to DMR is only so so even with a DV3000 USB dongle. Hoping to find something that works better.

Steve N4IRS

On second thought, Will you be connecting the AllStar node to a analog radio?

Steve N4IRS

On 6/3/2020 10:05 AM, W8DSB wrote:
Is there a ARM image available (PI 4) that has ASL, DVSWitch already installed? I have made a few now using HAMVOIP and DVSwitch but the ASL to DMR is only so so even with a DV3000 USB dongle. Hoping to find something that works better.

W8DSB

Yes, I currently have DVSwitch installed on a HAMVOIP image and that allows allstar to DMR. I am sure it will do more but I have not looked into anything else just yet. The issue is even with a DV3000 USB installed the DMR to FM is not as good as it should be. Not like some of these XLX installs that just sound perfect.

Pete Fierro

How were you able to get DV Switch on hamvoip?

    I did "apt-get install dvswitch -y" at the shell& got this message

     apt-get command not found

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 11:54, W8DSB
<w8dsb@...> wrote:
Yes, I currently have DVSwitch installed on a HAMVOIP image and that allows allstar to DMR. I am sure it will do more but I have not looked into anything else just yet. The issue is even with a DV3000 USB installed the DMR to FM is not as good as it should be. Not like some of these XLX installs that just sound perfect.

Scott Evans

Hamvoip is based on Arch not Debian! So you need to use the correct package manager.

pacman -Sy package_name

This will install packages in Arch, if you need further information about pacman (not the arcade game!) then type...

man pacman

This will print out the manual to screen so that you can read it.

Apt is Debian's package management as yum is for redhat/fedora based systems.

Cheers

Ken KE2N

XLX does not do analog.  The reason those connections sound "perfect" is that they go from digital to digital.

When you go to analog - in particular Allstar - higher-frequency components of the DMR signal are just not encoded well at the 8k sampling rate and get distorted.   I don't know why, but Fusion in particular has a lot of energy in the range of 3500 Hz and that is a no-no for Allstar.  The AMBE modes use a vocoder - which can produce sound energy above what the Nyquist limit would dictate.  I guess they feel that emphasizing this part of the audio spectrum enhances intelligibility. But it is annoying when you go to a scheme that is encoding the audio (rather than vocoding it).

Ken
KE2N

W8DSB

Scott is right when I installed DVSwitch on the arch Linux, I use Pacman. However it doesn’t sound as good as it should. I was inspired this morning and installed DVSwitch On a running allstar node that was already up at Amazon‘s web service. It turns out that sounds very good using the 380 emulator. My only issue is now that there’s a delay going between the analog repeater and the digital repeaters due to brandmeister. Sometimes it even gets choppy. I would like to connect the DVDwitch right to a XLX server running at a different Amazon cloud does anyone know how to do that? I tried just changing the server address but it seems there must be more? Maybe port numbers?